Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how do i raise €5k

• 01-03-2008 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

expressed an interest in an overseas charity cycle last week, well it 500km in california in september, one of the local representives of the charity rang me a few days ago, received some of the details from him since, but he also told me i would need to raise minimum €5000 if i sign up, now he would be on hand to advice me and i think asist in some form but the fund raising would still be down to me to organise and collect

my friend works for a local paper, spoke to him today about a possible profile, i'm on good terms with the local pub landlord (well, he's alway happy to see me in there), so possible charity nights could be a suggestion, and i be in the local mini market at least once a day, so i would hope the owner and manager at least regonise me, so could approach him re a possible collection, plus there is the usual sponsorship, but that only raises so much, plus will definatly have to dip my hand into my own pocket as well to put towards it

have also thought about approaching local companies, not sure if i should write or speak to them first, ie before commiting to the charity, to get their thoughts or opinions on it, ie either a fininical contribution or a item/s to be raffled

so any ideas guys on how this might be acheived

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Get a few sponsors, put their money online and put the lot on black.

Rinse and repeat, you'll either lose it or make €5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

rb_ie wrote: »
    Get a few sponsors, put their money online and put the lot on black.

Rinse and repeat, you'll either lose it or make €5k.

i did think something similar passing the bookies earlier, but quickly thought better

:D

Come down to Dublin City Centre and go around asking people for €1 for a hostel, those guys make a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I heard of one thing you can do:

Raffle
    100 people x €50 = €5000
    One person wins - Prize €2500 (or something like that, adjust the maths as you like :) )

Seems like a good system, moreso if you were raising a smaller amount though!

Leave buckets in shops too - people tend to just throw change into them!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

why not just do the cycle yourself, it wouldn't cost anything like 5k

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »
    why not just do the cycle yourself, it wouldn't cost anything like 5k

thats what i'm planing to do, the charity just wants 5k for me to do, i do a annual cycle each year in the NW, this is the chance todo something differnet for a good cause

irish-stew wrote: »
    thats what i'm planing to do, the charity just wants 5k for me to do, i do a annual cycle each year in the NW, this is the chance todo something differnet for a good cause
    The do the charity then pay for any costs incurred?I.e transport, food etc?

€5k is a lot to raise to do a cycle in fairness. The raffle idea is pretty good though, if you're a regular in a pub you should be able to get interest in something like that pretty quickly.

The do the charity then pay for any costs incurred?I.e transport, food etc?

€5k is a lot to raise to do a cycle in fairness. The raffle idea is pretty good though, if you're a regular in a pub you should be able to get interest in something like that pretty quickly.

the charity does, now what percentage goes then to good causes i'm not sure

as for the interest, the only thing that might go against me is that its not a local charity but a national one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

As mentioned above, if you can get the local pub behind you to do a 50-50 raffle. Half the money raised from ticket sales as a prize and half the money to the charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Well you could whore yourself out to a hundred fat chicks for fifty bucks a piece. Or five really fat chicks for a thousand bucks.

• Advertisement

4Xcut wrote: »
    As mentioned above, if you can get the local pub behind you to do a 50-50 raffle. Half the money raised from ticket sales as a prize and half the money to the charity.

would i promote it has a 50/50 and garnatee a return, but people might be reluctant if a fixed amount not garanteed,

or would i promote a fixed small amount, and hope to get more than expected, the only problem with that would be not reaching or only scaping a target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thebigman

Heres a suggestion.

How about you pay for your own adventure holidays and stop taking money off people on the pretence of charity.

I can't stand these scummy charity 'trek to nepal' things. Why not trek to Wicklow for a week and dont use the money you raised to do it? Oh right, because you just want an exotic holiday out of it.

Well you could whore yourself out to a hundred fat chicks for fifty bucks a piece. Or five really fat chicks for a thousand bucks.

haha, nice idea, dont want to do my self an injury though, have to commit to finishing the event

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

thebigman wrote: »
    Heres a suggestion.

How about you pay for your own adventure holidays and stop taking money off people on the pretence of charity.

I can't stand these scummy charity 'trek to nepal' things. Why not trek to Wicklow for a week and dont use the money you raised to do it? Oh right, because you just want an exotic holiday out of it.

SNAP

Just what I was thinking. Im all for doing stuff for charity etc. but it's unfair to be spending large amounts of the charity money to foot the bill for your adventure trip.

If your interested in adventure and want to do something for a good cause why not try: Niall Mellon Township Trust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

jimbo78 wrote: »
    SNAP

Just what I was thinking. Im all for doing stuff for charity etc. but it's unfair to be spending large amounts of the charity money to foot the bill for your adventure trip.

If your interested in adventure and want to do something for a good cause why not try: Niall Mellon Township Trust

I've often wondered that also. Just do Malin Head to Mizen Head, or John O Groats to Lans End.

Wow that banning was quick.

Heres a suggestion.

SNAP

i take both your points, but as i said my self as well, i do stuff for charity in this this country each year and i would be more than willing to put my hand into my own pocket as well to go towards the trip,

also i dont know yet what percentage goes towards the trip/charity, which is something that will be more than likely discussed with the charity rep before i commit to it

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

I dont know if this is of any help but a friend of mine had to do something similar for the trip to South Africa with the Mallon Foundation. (Mellon of course!!)
    He got a few of us together as a small committee. He booked the local function room in the local Hotel (for free with the promise that the fact would be publicised in any press he was to receive!)
    We contacted
    1. The local Gaa club
    2. The two local soccer teams
    3. The local Golf Club
    4. The two big local dart teams
    5. The local fishing club
    6. The local youth club
    7. Macra na feirme
    8. The local hunt

This got a full response from all 10 organisations.
    Eight needed on the team and there was serious cross over on what team had who!!
    The guy that was going had a ball doing the MC for the night and raised the profile of the Charity way over the norm.
    He put together a program of events that had an entry from each group.
    Simple stuff. A lunatic "horse" race where the contestant had to wind string onto a stick between their legs while pulling a timber horse along sixty feet of the hotel floor! A Golf ball blowing heat over the same sixty feet had hilarious scenes! A championship bouncing a plastic ball into a dustbin and the most memorable rugby ball rolling competition!!
    Each club entered for €80. That meant €800. A €5 entry for the night. 300 people there yielded another €1500. Raffle on the night with all donated prizes yielded €2700.
    In fairness there was a lot of work involved with the committee doing trojan work but he exceeded what he required by €2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

SNAP

I see your point too (although there's no need for anyone to be rude and get personal, like thebigman) but visiting these countries is part of it. E.g. my mate did a trek in India and visited lots of poor families and gave pressies to the kids and stuff. Ok, not earth-changing but it was still a nice thing to do. And the kids were overjoyed. Condescending? Maybe, but the fact is, these things are heaven-sent for them.
    Wow that banning was quick.
    Returned previously banned user. And all round angry young man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

thebigman wrote:
    Heres a suggestion.

Thats ridicules. He gets benefit and so does the charity everybody is a winner. It takes alot of work and commitment to raise that amount of money so why not a reward too. If I was a betting man Id put alot of money on the fact that it will raise more that will go directly to charity than anything you've done in quite a while.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »

Returned previously banned user. And all round angry young man.

Seemingly so, he should get therapy imo.

I think these trip type charity things are a great idea, it provides a real incentive to those who aren't usually that charitable and generates a nice wad of cash for those who need it. So what if the people get a trip out of it, it's not as though it's a holiday. Most are trekking/cycling/climbing type things .

Fck the begrudgers OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Trampas

I never give money do these charities unless the €5k goes to the charity and none of it towards the cost of the trip.

Must cost at least a grand if not close to 2 grand for flights, accommodation, food and whatever else.

My 2 cent worth

cheers for the ideas and support guys, i'l put my hand up, yes i do get a trip out of this, but certianly wont be a holiday either, wont exactly have much time to do any sight seeing, i dont know the full itinery is, its about 10 days, 1 is aclimitisation to the area, a rest day in the middle, 5 of the days is spent cycling, propbably averaging 100k a day, the rest is propbaly traveling

as well as collecting and fundraising, which i would have to do propbaly in my own time, i also have a fulltime job, plus training for the event, i would also expect to contribute an amount of my own money towards the target

am also considering, before i even commit to the charity (if i do take part), writing to various business to get their ideas and sugestions, and see would they be willing to contribute either a donation or item for raffle, etc, to see if it would even be worth my while or see if its doable, cost of which for staionary, postage etc, allthough not much, would still come out of my on pocket

;)

Trampas wrote: »
    I never give money do these charities unless the €5k goes to the charity and none of it towards the cost of the trip.

Must cost at least a grand if not close to 2 grand for flights, accommodation, food and whatever else.

My 2 cent worth
    That's a bit scabby, don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

We got a letter a week or so before Christmas asking us to sponsor a round of questions in a table quiz. €100 was asked for.

A local lady doing a sponsored walk in aid of African children Like you, the lady had to raise 5k.

About 30 or so businesses got the letter and we gave the money to her. I asked her if she had recieved any abuse for the letters as €100 was quite a bit of dosh. She said about 99% support. She is well liked, and was brave enough to send the letters in the first place so well done to her she had all her money in one night, raffle and buckets on the door of the venue for table quiz. Granted this is a rural / everyone knows who's who area and i suppose people in business didint want to come across as stingy and bah humbug coming up to Christmas. Timing might be important.

she followed the letter up with a phone call btw, just to see if they were up for the donation.

Best of luck with it and fair play to anyone raising money for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

My Gaa club did this to raise sponsorship money........ 20 businesses paid 100 euro each for the chance to become title sponsor for the club (as in having their logo plastered over our club jersey). Perhaps you could do something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

SNAP

What's the deal with sponsorship and the Niall Mellon thing? A new neighbour of mine sent around a letter seeking sponsorship for doing it this summer. Actually had the audacity to request 50 euro, kindly pointing out that if 100 houses sponsored this he would have half of the 10,000 he needs. Couldn't believe the cheek. Especially considering how their house is kitted out, the fact that they are both high rollers in their careers and their two 07 BMWs in the drive. Pretty bloody cheeky.

Papillon87 wrote: »
    What's the deal with sponsorship and the Niall Mellon thing? A new neighbour of mine sent around a letter seeking sponsorship for doing it this summer. Actually had the audacity to request 50 euro, kindly pointing out that if 100 houses sponsored this he would have half of the 10,000 he needs. Couldn't believe the cheek. Especially considering how their house is kitted out, the fact that they are both high rollers in their careers and their two 07 BMWs in the drive. Pretty bloody cheeky.

The cheek to request sponsorship to do something good :rolleyes: FFS :rolleyes: Cop yourself on. Fair play to anyone who goes to the bother of doing something constructive that tries to help those less well off.

stepbar wrote: »
    The cheek to request sponsorship to do something good :rolleyes: FFS :rolleyes: Cop yourself on.

To ask someone for a NAMED sum of money (50 euro is a fair chunk) when there is no doubt that the people in question could cough it up themselves. Personally, something I would never do. It's being very audacious. Raise it through other means. I never disputed the cause.

• Advertisement

Papillon87 wrote: »
    To ask someone for a NAMED sum of money (50 euro is a fair chunk) when there is no doubt that the people in question could cough it up themselves. Personally, something I would never do that. It's being very audacious. Raise it through other means. I never disputed the cause.

Big deal 50 euro :rolleyes: You'd spend it on a night out. Looks like you resent your neighbours for the success they have achieved. Sound like you have a bit of an attidute problem.

not sure i would feel right asking for a particular or minimum amount for the sponsorship/collection part of the fund raising, if someone wants to sponsor me, i'll leave it up to them how much they give, but i would tell them my target, in the hope i would get more than the usual €5 or €10 that people might usally give

irish-stew wrote: »
    not sure i would feel right asking for a particular or minimum amount for the sponsorship/collection part of the fund raising, if someone wants to sponsor me, i'll leave it up to them how much they give, but i would tell them my target, in the hope i would get more than the usual €5 or €10 that people might usally give

Why not? Don't donate if you have a problem. I don't see the problem TBH.

Big deal :rolleyes: Looks like you resent your neighbours for the success they have achieved. Sound like you have a bit of an attidute problem.

Most definitely don't. I don't harbour a grudge...I don't know the people personally. I'm a 20 year old college student and I've achieved plenty thus far. And I've my whole life ahead of me to achieve even more. :)

And on a personal note, I ran the Amnesty International branch at my school, am still an active member, and I do work with Down Syndrome Ireland in my spare time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

€5K for a week :eek:
    http://www.camara.ie/africa/africa08/index.php
    €2K for a month - closing date was 22nd feb

Big deal 50 euro :rolleyes: You'd spend it on a night out

Nope. Not for the last few months anyway. I'm being anti-social and saving for something. :o It's a lot of money to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement