Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ariel Schrag

Options
  • 01-03-2008 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Has anyone ever read any of her books?

Her most well-known would be Potential and it's probably my favourite graphic novel. They're great autobiographical comic books. The first two Awkward and Definition are oop but are going to be reprinted in April along with Potential as there is a movie being made of it.

Also, the sequel to Potential, Likewise is out in september. She released the first couple of issues and stoppped, saying she'd realise them together as a book, but it's only coming now and I am impatient.

Anyways, managed to get Definition from eBay and am gonna plow into when I get home.

Links and info:

www.arielschrag.com
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Schrag
    41652WZHKYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg
    51rCGVVkvJL._AA240_.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I've read some of her stuff - Awkward and Potential and saw the documentary about her made a couple of years ago. I find her work ok, wouldn't be one of my favs - I'd prefer Alison Bechdel's work over Schrags.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

Alison Bechdel is fantastic. Fun Home blew me away. Need to get my hands on some of her Dykes to Watch Out for series, haven't seen em in any shops

Also, Ztocial, because they're hard to find, if you have any AS books or single issues you'd be willing to part with, I'd take them off your hands for a reasonable price. Feel free to PM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Just finished Likewise, haven't read any of the rest of her stuff, but I found it pretty self indulgent - masturbatory is the first word that springs to mind funnily enough :rolleyes:
    I particularly like the "I AM GOING TO CHANGE COMICS THEY WILL SEE" comment...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just finished Likewise and it was the first comic in ages where the length didn't seem to add anything to the story. Self-indulgent twaddle in sore need of an editor, IMO. The experimentation with different styles was interesting, but not enough to carry the mostly banal series of events that passed for a storyline.

Advertisement