Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aging/Cracked Tyres

Options
  • 01-03-2008 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Looking for an opinion re the tyres on the GTI. We have it two years and there are just over 11k miles on it - not mine, the wifes, so I don't drive it much hence the low mileage:o

Anyway, it has the 18" with bridgestone potenza's and they are starting to look a little cracked in the top edge of the thread on the face of the tyre. Tyre walls are fine etc. Would anyone know if this is just aging and nothing to worry about or do tyres have a lifetime as well as a wear limit - I would expect not?

They would have had a few coats of Meguiars tyre gel over the years but this should not affect them I hope as it is generally applied only on the wall and any bits on the thread are driven off soon after.

Wear wise these is a few thousand miles yet as I have not even rotated back to front yet or anything like that.

Any thoughts - should I be concerned with these cracks or is it just in the surface.

Thanks
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You should go get some new tyres is the safe answer, but if your wife isn't doing a lot of mileage, they should be fine for the time being.

It is natural wear, speeded up by the fact that they were being used so little.

Bring it along to a local, trusted, tyre fitter and they should be able to advise you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If the tyres are only two years old, have no visible damage, and sufficient thread, they should be perfectly safe.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Most tyres that age will have tiny superficial cracks in the rubber which are no problem. If they're really noticible, and deep, then change the tyres but if they're just superficial, you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I'm not a safety nut quite the reverse, However tyres are serious stuff. Cracked tyres are dangerous uv light corrodes rubber (conflicting 80's images). The tyres must be fairly old to have cracked. European legislation is coming soon about stamping dates on tyres. I wouldn't drive myself with with cracked tyres, no way anyone belonging to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE720s on the front of my yoke. They have minor cracking across the surface. I have them nearly 2 years also. I dont think they are anything to worry about. Sounds like you have fairly normal symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

This is odd I have 4 year old potenzas on my car. No sign of cracks I was associating tyre cracking with old tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

After 8 years I replaced my original tyres as they had hardened and grip was poor, esp in the wet.

I'd have my doubts that after such a short time that your tyres would have expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Don't rotate your tyres, they wear specifically to each wheel, moving them around results in reduced grip as the tyre beds in to its new position.

Rotating tyres is an old car thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If a car isn't used the tyres tend to crack.

Advertisement