Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Head gasket problem?

Options
  • 01-03-2008 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out. I have a 97 Punto, not in the best of condition. Recently, I noticed it takes a couple of seconds to get some rev when driving in low gears. The engine seems to be over heating a lot. Today anytime I accellerated, there was a really bad noise. So, got myself home quickly, and the engine is smoking white smoke.

I rang a friend of mine and he mentioned it could be the head gasket. Is this possible? And how much approx would this be to fix? Obviously the car is worth feck all, so I'm guessing it's better to replace the car rather than the engine? Any advice appreciated as I don't have a notion about cars, and don't know what to do.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Id say head gasket alright,looks like the symptoms of it. Head gasket failure seems to be a major punto fault,iv heard of many that have had the same problem. id love to know why they all give trouble!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

Id say head gasket alright,looks like the symptoms of it. Head gasket failure seems to be a major punto fault,iv heard of many that have had the same problem. id love to know why they all give trouble!!

Thanks, any idea of ballpark cost to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a well-known fault in Puntos of that age.

It's a labour intensive job - I'd say you could be looking at €600+ minimum (if you live in Dublin)

The head gasket went in my 99 Punto last year, but thankfully my Dad was able to fix it - so I only paid for parts and the skimming (and a Chinese meal for Dad).

Im not sure, but il bet your friendly local garage will be no stranger to fixing punto head gaskets,so would give a fairly accurate quote, id say a few hundred quid, depending if the head needs to be skimmed or not.

Will do. Thanks everyone

• Advertisement

no prob:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Head generally needs to be skimmed on them Puntos. Would be thinking around the €500 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i have punto 98 same problem, rang few garages around dublin and in portlaoise in dublin it cost around 400euro, dont go to those fancy garages. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would imagine it could end up being uneconomical to have the head gasket replaced on a 1997 Punto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would imagine it could end up being uneconomical to have the head gasket replaced on a 1997 Punto.

I'd second that, especially when you say its not in the best of condition, what mileage is on it? If its over 500euro to fix i'd say scrap it.

Its down to you, but it may be a case of Throwing Good Money after Bad if other problems arise.

• Advertisement

I'd second that, especially when you say its not in the best of condition, what mileage is on it? If its over 500euro to fix i'd say scrap it.

Its down to you, but it may be a case of Throwing Good Money after Bad if other problems arise.

Yep, that's exactly what I think. I bought it 3 yrs ago for €1200, so it's done me well. NCT is up on it in May, that's really why I was asking the question. If it costs more than €200 to fix it, I'm not going to bother. A bit gutted though cos not rreally keen on buying a new car this month. Looks like I won't have a choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

smiler26 wrote: »
    I bought it 3 yrs ago for €1200, so it's done me well

You did well and it owes you nought. Maybe give it away to a mechanic who'd sort it in his own time?

Advertisement