Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a Bottom Bracket

Options
  • 01-03-2008 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Well it seems the BB on my Hardrock's gone again. Got about 20 months of everyday cycling out of it, so happy enough with that. This will be my third BB for this bike, so I'd like to replace it myself this time. Is this a job only for the bike shop or is it easy enough? What tools do I need? What type of BB?

Any advice is more than welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It's very straightforward, you'll need a couple of tools - crank extractor, BB tool. You'll find all you need to know here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=94

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The tools can cost a little bit to buy. The crank extractor and BB tool aint cheap.

Would check with the bike shop to see how much it would be just to buy the part compared to how much it is to buy it fitted and all. There usually isnt much of a difference.

Your bike shop will be able to get the right BB for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Took a look today, need a different extractor for my mtb and another for the roadie. Was hoping the tools would do both bikes so I think I'll just get the bike shop to do it. It cost 37 quid last time, but getting the tools for both bikes would be a bit too costly and I think I'll be changing the mtb for a flat bar roadie at the end of the year so maybe I'll invest in the tools then. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cunnins4 wrote: »
    Took a look today, need a different extractor for my mtb and another for the roadie. Was hoping the tools would do both bikes so I think I'll just get the bike shop to do it. It cost 37 quid last time, but getting the tools for both bikes would be a bit too costly and I think I'll be changing the mtb for a flat bar roadie at the end of the year so maybe I'll invest in the tools then. Ah well!

there is no way a crank extractor, a BB tool will cost over e37, if it does id head elsewhere;):D

it will cost you e40 - e50 all in, and thats including BB.

a mtb BB is a fairly standard fitting. park tool do all the variations(there are 2-3 max) unless it a hollowtech 1 or 2 which is ALOT easier than a cartridge to remove.

buy the tools and DIY.

I replaced a bb on a gt the other day.
    the thing was stuck in fairly well, ended up with a long tube and smacking it with a hammer, go it out in the end tho:D
    so BBs can be a pain, but it worth doing yourself.
    they are reverse threaded, so on the right(drive)side you turn clockwise with the bike upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dunmoon

Best advice is to fit a sealed bottom bracket the next time. I had one on my road bike that lasted for 20,000 miles thro all year round cycling. I think its worth the extra few euro to get a decent bike-shop mechanic to fit it for you as the bottom-bracket shell housing threads can get damaged easily by the DIY mechanic. Happy cycling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement