Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do 20 miles 2 weeks before marathon?

• 01-03-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Ok im deliberating over whether or not I should run 20 miles 2 weeks before the marathon.

I was supposed to do my 20 miles last weekend but a weekend in denmark stopped any chance of that happening. Ive done 18 and half miles two weeks previously usual mid a few 5,6,7 milers during the week and 14 as long run, nothing the following weekend just mid week runs leading up to 8 miles on friday.

So basically my training programme says I should be doing 14 miles tommorrow and I should have done 20 last week. My left knee is feeling tight so Ive been running on grass a lot and that seems to do the trick.

Basically my question is should i be doing 20 miles 2 weeks before or should i just do 14 and hope for the best in Rome in 2 weeks.

This is my first marathon so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Im 22 and running 8 minute miles if thats important in any consideration of whether I should do 20 or not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Hard to say. Personally I like to do the last long one 3 weeks before, but that's having done 6-8. But I know fellows who do them 2 weeks before. How do you feel after a 20miler? If you're wrecked after them I'd nearly leave it go, the 14 will be fine. Save the energy for the day would be my advice.
    Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Deliaquad

^+1

There's a reason all the training programs suggest tapering for three weeks prior to race day. The cost of a 20 now outweigh the benefits.

Prior to your first marathon, the tendency is to overanalyise everything, in particular your training schedule. In this respect you're no different to anyone else. That nagging feeling you should have done the 20 won't go away, as the tapering period is frustrating and introspective. Relax, taper now, and enjoy your first marathon!

-Delia Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 23 haille

Go for a shorter run.I have done 21 marathons My first back in 1982 2.hours 57min.I managed on 18 mile runs max.As its your first its better to be fresh and fully relaxed.13/14 max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lodge2000

Cheers thanks for the info, confirming what I kinda felt. I hope 7 and a half miles extra wont be to difficult to surmount. really want to finish under 4hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It too late now but I usually do 40k about two weeks before hand, but that's just me and as you seen above alot of people would disagree with that. However, the thing I wanted to say was remember you only get one first marathon, just enjoy the experience the time will pass quite quickly. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

lodge2000 wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for the info, confirming what I kinda felt. I hope 7 and a half miles extra wont be to difficult to surmount. really want to finish under 4hrs.

I think you'll be fine for under 4hr. I did my first marathon in Dublin last october. the most I ran before the race and during training was 7.5 mile..I ran everyday and some days(not many) I ran twice, 1 in morning and then again in the aftenoon. I finished 4hr 19 min... if ur doing14 miles every weekend you'll brezze through.. I'm in "training" for connemara.. lol.. don't ask me about my training program.. good luck anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Hi all,
    I'm doing the Connemarathon and was aiming towards a 20 miler 2 weeks before the big day (Easter weekend). From what I've read above, this sounds a bad idea - should I be winding down (tapering?) from 3 weeks out?

On a separate matter, do you use gels etc for training runs? Did 16 miles at the weekend, it was pretty windy but felt good for about 14 miles. At that stage met a hill with a tough headwind - it just drained me and I crawled the last mile and a half home. Had a decent brekkie beforehand, but nothing but water throughout - what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The standard advice is to train as you intend to race. If you don't plan on taking carbs during the race then you don't need to do so on your LSRs. It is a pretty much accepted fact though that carb intake helps performance so I personally would recommend either gels, glucose tablets or a sports drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

macinalli wrote: »
    On a separate matter, do you use gels etc for training runs?
    I do on long training runs that exceed 2.5hours.

Though may be of limited use b'cos it has to be digested while gels don't, i like to have a bite or two of "comfort" food like a snickers bar.

Advertisement