Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimy landlord... how can I get my deposit back?

Options
  • 01-03-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I moved into a house in London 6 months ago. The girl who moved out, had her name on the contract. I gave her deposit, as I thought it was all ok, as everyone else in the house has been doing this for years (the deposit is paid back to whoever is moving out and so on).... I've seen it happen with a different room in the house, since I've been here and it all worked out fine for the other person.

The old contract has been over since a few months ago.On Wednesday, he told us that;

1. we had to be out of the flat by the 6th or he would press legal action against the people who had their names on the expired contract (wtf!).

2. He then changed his mind and decided that he wanted the contract signed by Friday. (6 bedroom house... divided into 2 flats... so 2 different contracts, 1 with 2 names and the other contract is for our part of the house.. so we need 4 names on it). He is a very dodgy character and as I have to move for a job, I really don't want to get involved with a contract that is linked with him. Especially, due to the fact that there's only 1 shower between the entire house, 2 cooker rings working (he put 2 fists into my flatmate's chest, over an argument about the broken cooker!... as the flatmate told him he was present when other people in the house rang about it.. which the land lord denied ever happening...).

We've been trying to ring his phone since Friday about signing the contract/ the situation... and leaving messages. He's completely ignoring us.

Also,we think he basically wants us out so he can raise the rent, as we have been paying rent on time every month and we're all good flatmates.

He just gave us less than 2 days notice though, to find people if we didn't want to sign it!!... and he's charging 80 pounds to put each name down on the contract... so in total, 320.
    None of us have gotten any sleep the last few days... we've been showing people from morning until late at night and no one wants my room.

The girl I gave my deposit is completely ignoring me... everyone in the house said that she's a complete b*tch. She also charged me £50 for 'the first weeks rent'. Rent has always been paid on the 6th. It turns out that that's only a 'grace period' and should be paid on the 1st. So she completely ripped me off.
    Also- I saw the contract that her and 3 others signed. In the section about the deposit.. the amount is just a dash!!!... so they all signed a contract basically saying the depsoit was zero.

I'm moving out to a friends house tonight. I was studying here, but I'm going to try and get a job now instead, and take at least a year out from a masters...I'm broke and can't afford it.

Is there anything I can legally do to get any of my deposit back!!????
    Ps- no one can reason with the land lord...we've all gone down to his office together and tried 'talking'. He's a complete snake.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

This isn't a PI, I'll move this to the Accom. forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Hrm, UK tenancy rights? Maybe try these guys although they seem to be council tenancies... They'll point you in the right direction anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

not legal advice at all however I would say if you have contracts he cannot just 'kick you out' with no notice....what does the contract state?

you have tenancy rights......and he would have to explore legal ways to get rid of you if you do not move (threatening behaviour or the like I suggest calling the authorities without getting into any heated discussions). - it is not unreasonable to expect reasonable amount of notice. alternatively you could say you will go if deposit given back....all depends what you want. (Small claims court will help you retrieve the cash if you dont get it)

I was a landlord for a property a little while ago and my tenants didnt pay for 2 months....I had to apply to the courts to get them evicted. and I was an excellent landlord btw using the earnings to pay for a relatives care home bill!

the law now sides with the tenant....good luck

Advertisement