Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akira Book 3

Options
  • 01-03-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what the score is with book 3 of the Akira manga? All the other books seem readily available, but I can't find 3 for sale anywhere except for a few second copies online, going for a high price.

Is it rare? How'd that happen? It seems odd that one book of the series alone would become a rarity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Unless there is a proper reason, i'd just say bad luck.

At the anime weekend in the Chester Beatty a while back they had all of the volumes sitting there for sale. The stuff belonged to Tower Records (or so the signpost said), might check in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,834 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's odd alright. Bought mine years ago from Amazon. Cost about 25 each. It should be up there for cheap enough.

Just checked and amazon doesn't seem to have it. Only three sellers do, all going for a mad price. 99 sterling +

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akira-v-Dark-Horse/dp/1569715254/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204415530&sr=8-1

What's going on? I'll check out some other sources. This is actually kind of interesting...

Edit, one ebay description says

Rare Volume 3 of this iconic series. Bought from Borders Bookshops in Oxford. Looks like its been on the shelves a little while but is immaculate. No marks on cover or any pages. Spine completely uncreased.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

You're not the only one having trouble locating Akira, I've twice already seen others asking why the volumes are so rare these days. Just look at Domu, it's selling for tons on Amazon, and mostly OOP on other sites. Though hopefully DH might re-print it to coincide with the Live-Action film...
    Thank crap I got my six volumes 3 years ago.
    Oh, I think Sub-City might have it, or some other manga stores like Forbidden Planet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I tried Forbidden Planet to no avail, but I'll have to give sub city and tower records ago. Thanks for the help, here's hoping it goes well or they reprint them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Gamers Realm in Limrick had the full set about a month ago iirc

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Though hopefully DH might re-print it to coincide with the Live-Action film...

*Fingers in ears*

That is not happening. NOT HAPPENING!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

o1s1n wrote: »
    *Fingers in ears*

That is not happening. NOT HAPPENING!
    What, the realisation of the live-action film? Of course it's happening, Leonardo DiCaprio's directing it and all. Our own Irishman Ruari Robinson's producing too.
    But not to worry (too much), Otomo will be overlooking it.

Master of the Universe

Saruwatari wrote: »
    What, the realisation of the live-action film? Of course it's happening, Leonardo DiCaprio's directing it and all. Our own Irishman Ruari Robinson's producing too.
    But not to worry (too much), Otomo will be overlooking it.

I've heard Ruari is directing and Di Caprio is producing.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/11309

It's not that I'm worried, I just think it's totally pointless. The anime and manga should just be left as they are. Sure Otomo is even sick of it at this point. The fact that it's being handled by an American studio and will feature American actors in an American setting just makes it sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 maximumleo

a live action...this truly saddens me...

on another note i've been looking for book 3 myself, thoughie to find.

Master of the Universe

Book 3 is the smallest volume, almost half the size of 4,5 and 6. Maybe that has something to do with it having a smaller print run? It's an odd explanation but who knows.

Did you see they've even changed the setting to 'New Manhattan'? I'm seeing this being I am Legend all over again :(

Plus another oddity. It'll seem very strange having Western actors called by Japanese names. Does that mean that the names are going to be Westernized too? Ah!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 maximumleo

According to IGN http://movies.ign.com/articles/853/853820p1.html they are apparently making two movies, which means they'll hopefully stick close to the manga, as opposed to remaking the anime. Who knows, maybe they'll do a good job...

...live actions still deeply sadden me though :( and westernised names would make me very angry!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wonder what would happen if they just steal the concept & remake it in a "Western-style"?

.... it's going to be like Godzilla all over again, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

o1s1n wrote: »
    Did you see they've even changed the setting to 'New Manhattan'? I'm seeing this being I am Legend all over again :(

Plus another oddity. It'll seem very strange having Western actors called by Japanese names. Does that mean that the names are going to be Westernized too? Ah!!

Apparently Manhattan is rebuilt by the Japanese after it is destroyed, so there will still be a very Japanese flavour to the storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭billycox

I'm having a big problem finding vol 3 too, i tried borders, chapters, sub city, forbidden planet and Easons and no where has it. I ordered it in to borders and forbidden planet but both said its out of print, Its crazy that such a popular comic series is so hard to get your hands on.
    Any help would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1569715254/ref=dp_olp_2

Amazon have copies but they are second hand and quite dear. If you really want one though thats probably your quickest option.:D

Advertisement