Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop wont recognise Vodafone 3g modem

Options
  • 01-03-2008 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Have a Dell Latitude D800 and it wont recognise my Vodafone 3g modem (Huawei e220). it just sees the 25mb of set up files but doesnt recognise it as a modem, even after running the bundled set up software. I downloaded the driver files but how do i install them? When i try and do it through Add Hardware what device do i add? I tried modems but it doesnt recognise the driver inf files as for modems.
    I also tries the dual usb port cable incase it wasnt getting enough power.

There was O2 broadband software previously installed on the laptop and that recognised the modem but wouldnt connect as it was a vodafone one so i uninstalled that.

anyone able to help????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Scruff wrote: »
    Have a Dell Latitude D800 and it wont recognise my Vodafone 3g modem (Huawei e220). it just sees the 25mb of set up files but doesnt recognise it as a modem, even after running the bundled set up software. I downloaded the driver files but how do i install them? When i try and do it through Add Hardware what device do i add? I tried modems but it doesnt recognise the driver inf files as for modems.

There was O2 broadband software previously installed on the laptop and that recognised the modem but wouldnt connect as it was a vodafone one so i uninstalled that.

anyone able to help????

Vodafone tech support wold be your best bet or maybe Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

anyone able to help????

Narrow the problems, try the modem on another machine if you can, if it works tis the laptop, is the laptop up to date, latest service packs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Tried it on another 3 laptops. works fine on 1, is detected as a CDROM drive on another and crashed the 3rd as soon as its plugged in.
    Still not working on my one though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

You need to uninstall the Roxio software that came with the laptop, then follow these instructions:
    jayteecork wrote: »
    Click start on your Vista deskstop. Now type into the search facility "msconfig".
    Now, click on the services tab. Then click "hide all Microsoft services" then "disable all". Apply. Then go to the "startup" tab and disable all there too. Apply. Click Ok. Then restart your computer. Your Dell Vista computer should finally recognise the modem.

I had the same problem with the 3 datamodem (which I believe is the same model as the Vodafone modem) on a friend's Dell laptop and doing the above fixed it for me.

pretty draconian messures but tried them anyway. Didnt fix the problem, still not detecting the modem.
    Using XP not vista. Boot time greatly speeded up but no AVG antivirus running now, better reenable those at least.

• Advertisement

Sorry it didn't work for you. I had wicked trouble getting the modem to work on the Vista laptop, but that did the trick for me. I plugged it into an XP desktop and it worked straight away.

The modem will be detected as a CD ROM drive, because the set-up files are contained on the modem itself. Did you install from here or from a supplied CD? Have you tried unplugging the device, uninstalling the software, rebooting the laptop, then plugging the modem back in and reinstalling from the detected drive?

Perhaps the modem is faulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭St0n3d

Hey!

I worked with the support guys @ 3g on these modems.

Their a pile of **** on vista. But easily figured out once you knock out all the quirks.

If you cant get it working with the advice on here. Pm me and il send you my firmware used to get it working. If its xp, its even easier to fix as its only drivers.

Edit: it shows as a cd rom on the other laptop because that laptop is configured correctly.

the e220s load as a cd rom and install the software liek autorun, major issue on vista. But Xp , all you need to do is open my computer, explore the drive. Click the setup files.

I can zip and upload you the drivers to install from desktop if you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

a simple solution to this

vista is a pain in the bollocks

install vista business (if you need vista) it will work

or just xp

i had problems getting this working on my friends vista machine and tracked it down to the particular version of vista

what a pile of dogs bollocks vista is

^ The laptop is XP.

PS. "Dogs bollocks" is a positive term!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My bro had the same problem with the Three one - he was using XP home. Upgraded to XP Pro and it worked fine - it was a new laptop so it wasn't a major hassle to rebuild...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I had this with a Vista laptop and I had to hunt down drivers for it. Once I sorted that out I was able to install and set it up. AFAIK you would expect it to see a CD-ROM as it has some kind of CD-ROM emulator. If you can see it you should be able to run the install. Are there any partially installed items in Device Manager?

The problem now is that it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting as a cdrom\usb mass sorage device before i can click on it. keep getting the bing-bing of a device connecting followed by the bing-bong of it disconnecting ad infinitum.
    have uninstalled every cdrom controlling bit of sofware on the laptop, using the dual usb so its getting enough power but stil no joy.

finally go it working. Had a look throught the software installed when i tried the software i got off the Huawei site and ran 2 files i found: DriverUninstall.exe and DriverSetup.exe in that order. Next time i plugged in the dongle it picked it up fine. Need to use the dual usb cable and have to be plugged into the same usb ports every time in order for it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Clareman08

Scruff, I had the same problem with my Dell desktop running XP back in January. On plugging-in, the USB device kept connecting & disconnecting every few seconds. Got on to Vodafone Data Support and eventually tracked the problem down to Norton Save & Restore 2.0 which had to be completely removed before the modem would connect to the computer. When attempting to connect originally the modem seems to do a faulty USB Driver install which, as you say, has to be uninstalled before it can install properly. I did this via Control Panel - Device Manager - USB Controllers - USB Composite Device (Huawei Mobile) - RtClick - Uninstall Drivers.

It has been working fine since then, except I have to start the Vodafone software manually everytime via My Computer as Autorun does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

finally go it working. Had a look throught the software installed when i tried the software i got off the Huawei site and ran 2 files i found: DriverUninstall.exe and DriverSetup.exe in that order. Next time i plugged in the dongle it picked it up fine. Need to use the dual usb cable and have to be plugged into the same usb ports every time in order for it to work.

Had same problem with vista, vodadone sent me link for upgrade firmware and dashboard, this will only work on an XP machine, it took me a few attempts to get it to take the upgrade vodaphone were friendly but usless, you need to use the dual usb cable when doing the upgrade and may need to switch off your firewall. at least this is what i had to do. I tried using the single cable on vista machine and signal kept droping out.
    what was i thinking getting on to tech support when I could have got epert help on boards:D

The first link vodafone sent me didn't work this one did

http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/support/10_productsupport/general/microsoft/vista/30_modem/p_ire_modem.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Im having the same problem now on a vista machine with the vodafone modem. It wont install the driver from the modem. Ive tried different ways to get it working. Disabled services like what was mentioned above.

The machine is running Vista Home Premium.

Any suggestions...vodafone were supposed to contact me but never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

you must do the upgrade on an XP machine, once done you can use the card on your VISTA machine.

Advertisement