Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security tag setting off alarm

Options
  • 01-03-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before. I was wondering if the security tag on a purchase sets off the store alarm, are you entitled to compensation for the embarrassment? Or is this only if a security guard does something? I have heard various different stories about such occurrences ( varying amounts of money given out on the spot etc.) and was wondering about the official standpoint regarding consumer issues. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Nope no compo simple mistake take it back to the till with your receipt,however if a security guard tackled you to the ground and you got hurt well that'd be a different story:rolleyes: if the security guard pulled you over though and wanted to talk thats all normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Compensation for someone forgetting to take off the tag. It does annoy me when it happens but compensation? Give me a break. :mad: I blame Dudess.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In the shop I worked in they had a clear procedure that the first thing was an apology to the customer and the second thing was to offer to remove the tag for them. The idea behind this is that an honest customer will always come back. A shoplifter is more likely to run or remove the tag anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Red Alert wrote: »
    In the shop I worked in they had a clear procedure that the first thing was an apology to the customer and the second thing was to offer to remove the tag for them. The idea behind this is that an honest customer will always come back. A shoplifter is more likely to run or remove the tag anyway.

what shop was that? i'm going to rob me loads of stuff using that tactic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

In my shop it happens all the time as we have tags but no barriers. I take tags off from clothes bought in other shops of the same chain the whole time. I don't apologise, I'm not the idiot that left it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dango wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this has been asked before. I was wondering if the security tag on a purchase sets off the store alarm, are you entitled to compensation for the embarrassment?

Is this actually a serious question? You're looking for compensation because an alarm went off? This is the height of ridiculousness. What kind of embarrassment could possibly be caused by this? Alarm goes off, everyone looks around confused, you get the tag removed, all is well.

If you're tackled or assaulted in any way by security then that's a different story, but I don't think that's the question here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

My local Tesco, the alarm goes off when people come in who have bought in HMV

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

A few years ago my sister bought a pair of shoes in a shop that had no barriers, which meant she left no problem. Every time she wore them she'd set off the alarm as she left any shop with a barrier, so she just told the security before she left that if they wanted to search her they could before she set it off just to save any hassle. The shop that sold them said there had been a problem with that 'batch'. However they did not offer a replacement or a refund and my sister was too young and naive to ask for one.

She probably got pretty embarrassed when the alarm went off, but not once did it cross her mind to ask for compensation, nor would it now!

The same shop forgot to take the tag off a top I bought and when I returned the next day they apologised profusely and took it off.

It's an inconvenience but not worthy of compensation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Does anybody even notice any more?

janeybabe wrote: »
    The shop that sold them said there had been a problem with that 'batch'.
    Sounds like a tag in the lining of the shoe or something. Weird. That's a case for a refund for sure.

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    Sounds like a tag in the lining of the shoe or something. Weird. That's a case for a refund for sure.

Oh ya, of course, but my sister wasn't that bothered I suppose.

I've noticed that alarms go off more and more in the last few years. More faults or more shoplifters? No one ever does anything about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

janeybabe wrote: »
    I've noticed that alarms go off more and more in the last few years. More faults or more shoplifters? No one ever does anything about it!

Pretty much a daily occurance I'd say, and it's never a shop lifter, or at least I've never seen it to be. Often, the shop assistants and even security don't bother to look, no one cares.

I've often bought DVDs in Virgin/Xavvi and the tag might not always be deactivated properly so the alarm goes off. I just walk on out, nobody has ever come after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

jor el wrote: »
    Is this actually a serious question? You're looking for compensation because an alarm went off? This is the height of ridiculousness. What kind of embarrassment could possibly be caused by this? Alarm goes off, everyone looks around confused, you get the tag removed, all is well.

If you're tackled or assaulted in any way by security then that's a different story, but I don't think that's the question here.

There was a question mark at the end of it... I'm not looking for compensation i was just wondering about it as i had heard about <generic person> getting <amount> of money and was wondering whether or not it was true. I did also ask about whether or not a security guard being involved would change things so yes that was being asked too. Thanks for your insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Happened me in Ms Selfridge in Cork once I was walking around for ages until they noticed in some other shop and said it to me.

Went back to Ms Selfridge and was given a voucher for 20% off my next purchase with them, though I would have just preferred an apology, the sales assistant was very rude.

Happened me in Ms Selfridge in Cork once I was walking around for ages until they noticed in some other shop and said it to me.

Went back to Ms Selfridge and was given a voucher for 20% off my next purchase with them, though I would have just preferred an apology, the sales assistant was very rude.

Certain sales assistant in there is very rude to all customers!

But is was nice of them to offer you the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    what shop was that? i'm going to rob me loads of stuff using that tactic :D
    How would coming back into the shop help you get away with your stolen goods without them noticing? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

nipplenuts wrote: »
    My local Tesco, the alarm goes off when people come in who have bought in HMV
    This is because the systems most shops use are all compatible. And stupid. Very stupid.

Yup, the black circular tags with the dye in them.

Igy wrote: »
    How would coming back into the shop help you get away with your stolen goods without them noticing? :P

he said that the policy was to assume that anyone who came back was honest and to apologise, remove the tag and them them go. now if they asked for a receipt....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,427 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before. I was wondering if the security tag on a purchase sets off the store alarm, are you entitled to compensation for the embarrassment? Or is this only if a security guard does something? I have heard various different stories about such occurrences ( varying amounts of money given out on the spot etc.) and was wondering about the official standpoint regarding consumer issues. Thanks in advance
    Specificly no. There is case law where a shopkeeper is entitled to ask has a customer paid and the customer had no cause for complaint. It would only be if the shopkeeper said something like "you haven't paid" or "Stop, you haven't paid"

Some shops might give vouchers - but they will come out of the staff's* commission / bonus for not following procedure and removing the tag(s).

* Much of what staff in clothes shops earn is in commission, not basic pay (which is under minimum wage).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I was told when I worked in a shop that sold things with tags that if you left one on and the alarms went off when the customer tried to leave that we could be sued.

Victor wrote: »
    * Much of what staff in clothes shops earn is in commission, not basic pay (which is under minimum wage).

Only shops springing to mind for commission are Dixons and some Brown Thomas make-up counters. Basic pay for high-street shops is ALWAYS €8.65 or more, though less if you're under 18. Dunnes and Penneys starting pay is €9, Topshop and the rest of Arcadia is €8.65, Boots is €9.11, Karen Millen is €9.30 and M&S is €9.40. Very few left that pay time and a half on a Sunday, Arcadia pay time and a third, Dunnes pay time a half..Brown Thomas pay double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Only shops springing to mind for commission are Dixons and some Brown Thomas make-up counters. Basic pay for high-street shops is ALWAYS €8.65 or more, though less if you're under 18. Dunnes and Penneys starting pay is €9, Topshop and the rest of Arcadia is €8.65, Boots is €9.11, Karen Millen is €9.30 and M&S is €9.40. Very few left that pay time and a half on a Sunday, Arcadia pay time and a third, Dunnes pay time a half..Brown Thomas pay double.

+1 I've worked in a number of high street clothes shops and all paid a little bit above minumum wage. We never got comission. How would that work? If you were on the till for the day and somebody decided to buy something you get some money. That wouldn't work.

The only retail staff I've heard getting comission is cosmetics staff in department stores, as mentioned above, (I worked in cosmetics in house of fraser and BTs). However, that is on top of an hourly wage that is above the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jor el wrote: »
    Is this actually a serious question? You're looking for compensation because an alarm went off? This is the height of ridiculousness. What kind of embarrassment could possibly be caused by this?

+1

watna wrote: »
    +1 I've worked in a number of high street clothes shops and all paid a little bit above minumum wage. We never got comission. How would that work? If you were on the till for the day and somebody decided to buy something you get some money. That wouldn't work.

i believe the way it works is the staff bring the things up to the counter and the person on the till puts in through in their name.

i worked in a phone shop that had a basic wage that was below minimum wage so it does happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Looking for compo OP? Well yes, if a security guard tackled you to the ground or you got searched in front of hundreds of people well then something may be due.

But just because the alarm went off?:rolleyes:
    It's no big deal, get over it.

As an example, the till in Elverys in Galway is right beside the door. So if you queue for the till then you will probably set off the alarm at the door. Poor planning but no cause for compensation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I was wondering if the security tag on a purchase sets off the store alarm, are you entitled to compensation for the embarrassment

If you were accused of theft as a result then that could be construed as slander which would give you dispensation under defamation laws

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

+1
    micmclo wrote: »
    Looking for compo OP? Well yes, if a security guard tackled you to the ground or you got searched in front of hundreds of people well then something may be due.

But just because the alarm went off?:rolleyes:
    It's no big deal, get over it.

As an example, the till in Elverys in Galway is right beside the door. So if you queue for the till then you will probably set off the alarm at the door. Poor planning but no cause for compensation

Read post #14
    Pythia wrote: »
    I was told when I worked in a shop that sold things with tags that if you left one on and the alarms went off when the customer tried to leave that we could be sued.
    See someone else thought it, i'm not crazy...
    Victor wrote: »
    Specificly no. There is case law where a shopkeeper is entitled to ask has a customer paid and the customer had no cause for complaint. It would only be if the shopkeeper said something like "you haven't paid" or "Stop, you haven't paid"

Some shops might give vouchers - but they will come out of the staff's* commission / bonus for not following procedure and removing the tag(s).

That's the sort of non-flippant, non-accusatory, well thought out answer i was looking for. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Just out of curiousity .... if you set off the alarm (after you have purchased goods) ... are you obliged to go back in to the store if asked by a security guard?

Or can you just say no, and keep walking?

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote: »
    See someone else thought it, i'm not crazy...
    I was thinking when I read that they were told that to make sure they took off the tags. It wouldn't be the first lie told in a retail environment. :)
    That's the sort of non-flippant, non-accusatory, well thought out answer i was looking for. Thank you.
    Next time, think about it logically. Compo culture isn't nice.

Advertisement