Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security tag setting off alarm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Sherifu wrote: »

Compo culture isn't nice.

mehh - poor people taking money off rich people - it has a robin hood-esque justice to it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

mehh - poor people taking money off rich people - it has a robin hood-esque justice to it
    Who ends up paying higher insurance premiums? Or who loses their job?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity .... if you set off the alarm (after you have purchased goods) ... are you obliged to go back in to the store if asked by a security guard?

Or can you just say no, and keep walking?

Something in a similar vein to my question.
    I was thinking when I read that they were told that to make sure they took off the tags. It wouldn't be the first lie told in a retail environment. :)

Next time, think about it logically. Compo culture isn't nice.

You've a bad attitude, you're rude, condescending, ignorant and seem to have a chip on your shoulder. If you don't have something helpful to post don't bother.

dango wrote: »
    You've a bad attitude, you're rude, condescending, ignorant and seem to have a chip on your shoulder. If you don't have something helpful to post don't bother.
    Stop me posting then.

Welcome to a public forum my good friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

To be fair, Sherifu wasn't actually rude, he just didn't agree with you. There's a difference.

If you think he was out of order, report the post (little hazard sign under your user name) rather than abusing him in a thread. That's rude.

• Advertisement

Just because my post count is <1000 i'm suddenly new to the internet... [condescending]

I asked a question in consumer issues about a consumer issue only to be met with "that's absolutely ridiculous" and "compo culture isn't nice" and a humorous off topic quip about job losses and higher insurance premiums. If that isn't someone trying to sh*t on a topic i don't know what is [rude]. None of the above were at all helpful and has tried to detract from the thread. As has been seen there have been a few people with similar questions that have brushed aside. With such responses it's no wonder why people would be afraid to ask questions. I'd appreciate if you would let someone with knowledge from a legal perspective answer as you are talking about something which you don't know about [ignorant].

Just because my post count is <1000 i'm suddenly new to the internet... [condescending]

I asked a question in consumer issues about a consumer issue only to be met with "that's absolutely ridiculous" and "compo culture isn't nice" and a humorous off topic quip about job losses and higher insurance premiums. If that isn't someone trying to sh*t on a topic i don't know what is [rude]. None of the above were at all helpful and has tried to detract from the thread. As has been seen there have been a few people with similar questions that have brushed aside. With such responses it's no wonder why people would be afraid to ask questions. I'd appreciate if you would let someone with knowledge from a legal perspective answer as you are talking about something which you don't know about [ignorant].

This has nothing to do with post count. It wasn't an off topic quip, the quote I was referring to is in my post. I didn't do anything to your precious topic but give my opinion. Never be afraid to ask a sensible question. If you were looking for legal advice there is a legal discussion forum. I dealt with your question without resorting to name calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you were looking for legal advice there is a legal discussion forum.
    Which doesn't allow people giving legal advice.

Which doesn't allow people giving legal advice.
    A legal discussion on it then if that's allowed. I've never been in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I have heard of people getting compo because of this sort of incident alright, normally a "neighbour is outside the store".

Some places will give store credit if you return having gone home with a tag on an item.

• Advertisement

This has nothing to do with post count. It wasn't an off topic quip, the quote I was referring to is in my post. I didn't do anything to your precious topic but give my opinion. Never be afraid to ask a sensible question. If you were looking for legal advice there is a legal discussion forum. I dealt with your question without resorting to name calling.

It think it has you wouldn't say that to someone with 10,000 posts.
    The "quip" hardly was relevant to anything regarding security tags and alarms alike.
    I don't consider this thread my precious or anything else i just wanted to find out some information, not receive some smart jibes about this that or anything else.
    I'm not afraid to ask a sensible question. As was stated ^ legal discussion is not to dispense legal advice.
    Funnily you didn't deal with my question at all but thank you for your contribution :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,427 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity .... if you set off the alarm (after you have purchased goods) ... are you obliged to go back in to the store if asked by a security guard? Or can you just say no, and keep walking?
    A few things can happen.

The security guard may say its OK, be on your way.
    The security guard may ask can he check the bag.
    The security guard may ask you to return to the till to have the tag cancelled / removed.

If you run, the security guard might have reasonable suspicion that you are stealing something and can arrest you for theft and hand you over to the garda. While the product may have been paid for, you just might be stealing the tag.

Retailers try to do this discretely.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

I know someone who bought an item of clothing in one of the big department stores in town. When she got home she realised that they had forgot to remove the security tag from the top.

A couple of days later when she was back in town, she popped back into the shop to get the tag removed, but at the particular moment she couldn't find the receipt for the item and they refused to remove the tag!

They basically said that they have no way of knowing whether or not she swiped the item and as such were erring on the side of caution and assuming she has stole it (my paraphrasing of the conversation of course!).

In the end she did manage to find the receipt at home and returned to get the tag removed, but it would have been an interesting situation if she was unable to find the receipt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 getoverit

Happened me in Ms Selfridge in Cork once I was walking around for ages until they noticed in some other shop and said it to me.

Went back to Ms Selfridge and was given a voucher for 20% off my next purchase with them, though I would have just preferred an apology, the sales assistant was very rude.
    The sales assistant had every right to be rude to you. You would have set off the alarm leaving miss selfridge when you originally purchased the top, and you were too stupid too walk back in and check if everything was ok. I work in retail and never apologise to people like you, its your fault the tag was left on and you did not walk back in when the alarm went off. YOU DO NOT DESERVE AN APOLOGY! Get over it!!

jabaroon wrote: »
    I know someone who bought an item of clothing in one of the big department stores in town. When she got home she realised that they had forgot to remove the security tag from the top.

A couple of days later when she was back in town, she popped back into the shop to get the tag removed, but at the particular moment she couldn't find the receipt for the item and they refused to remove the tag!

They basically said that they have no way of knowing whether or not she swiped the item and as such were erring on the side of caution and assuming she has stole it (my paraphrasing of the conversation of course!).

In the end she did manage to find the receipt at home and returned to get the tag removed, but it would have been an interesting situation if she was unable to find the receipt!!
    Once again, another case were some dumbass didnt return to the store UPON LEAVING, when the alarm would DEFINETLY HAVE BEEN TRIGGERD!! So many idiots walk out of the shop i work in every day, triggering the alarm, they stop and look back in the door, shrug their shoulders and then walk off. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever, come back in the next day with your reciept and i will remove the bloody tag, but you will not get an apology!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

getoverit Please do not drag up old threads, and secondly, please try to be some way polite to other posters.

I've noticed previous posts of yours have not been particularly helpful. Please take the time to read the charter for this forum.

dudara

You just would not understand, i bet you dont work in retail? Because to the people who do, your question sounds pathetic, some people are so sad nowadays, just looking to pick a fight in retail to try and get somthing free.

dudara wrote: »
    getoverit Please do not drag up old threads, and secondly, please try to be some way polite to other posters.

I've noticed previous posts of yours have not been particularly helpful. Please take the time to read the charter for this forum.

dudara
    oh sorry, my bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

On the first day of the winter sales in Cork, I was going from shop to shop with my purchases. The alarm went off I'd say in half the shops I entered and exited. No idea what caused it....the staff didn't seem to take any notice in any shop. When I went into zavvii, I noticed that every second person who came into there, with shopping bags, were setting off the alarms too....weird..(they'd look a bit bewildered and look around sheepishly as I did) But what would cause all the alarms to go off?(my son was well embarrassed btw-he thought I was robbing stuff from loads of shops:eek::eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

getoverit wrote: »
    Once again, another case were some dumbass didnt return to the store UPON LEAVING, when the alarm would DEFINETLY HAVE BEEN TRIGGERD!! So many idiots walk out of the shop i work in every day, triggering the alarm, they stop and look back in the door, shrug their shoulders and then walk off. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever, come back in the next day with your reciept and i will remove the bloody tag, but you will not get an apology!

have you ever thought about getting a job you liked? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before. I was wondering if the security tag on a purchase sets off the store alarm, are you entitled to compensation for the embarrassment? Or is this only if a security guard does something? I have heard various different stories about such occurrences ( varying amounts of money given out on the spot etc.) and was wondering about the official standpoint regarding consumer issues. Thanks in advance

Oh for god sake, looking compensation for an alarm going off
    :rolleyes:

Next you'll want compensation for having to wait to long in a Q to be served,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Cabaal wrote: »
    Oh for god sake, looking compensation for an alarm going off
    :rolleyes:

Yes, it's absolutely sad - however it has happened that stores have been sued for not removing tags and subsequently causing embarassment etc to customers.

My girlfriend manages a clothes store - I could not believe her when she told me about it. There are some sad sad people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i work in a clothes store and i've heard that this whole area is a grey spot; there's not law saying that a shop has to pay out. It's just human error, nobody does it on purpose. Sometimes the item in question has been accidently tagged twice so even when the assistant removes one, it'll still go off.
    We would always ask for a receipt when detagging a returned item; unfortunately shop lifters will try anything, including taking an item back claiming the tag was not removed. We have to protect ourselves,there's no ill-will here. I'd always apologise on behalf of whoever left the tag on; what's the harm in being polite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

The sales assistant had every right to be rude to you. You would have set off the alarm leaving miss selfridge when you originally purchased the top, and you were too stupid too walk back in and check if everything was ok. I work in retail and never apologise to people like you, its your fault the tag was left on and you did not walk back in when the alarm went off. YOU DO NOT DESERVE AN APOLOGY! Get over it!!

SO you're saying that because that person forgot to do part of there job I shouldn't expect a quick 'Sorry about that' meant or not because I walked out of the shop.

Even if I hadn't have walked out I'd expected a quick sorry because it's just basic politeness. The alarm in the shop hadn't triggered and had only triggered in another shop so I hadn't been aware of it.

You're a rude arrogant so and so by all accounts and no doubt you don't get good reports from your manager if you take that sort of attitude with customers.

I deal with people all day long in my job and even with the most rude and arrogant of people who think they're better than me I will always be polite and curteous because I was brought up to be curteous and respect people. You seem to be sadly lacking in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Lies, half of Dunnes outlets don't have security barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Anytime I've set off alarms it has been going into shops, not going out of them so I couldn't have known that there was a problem. Something to think about before jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I bought jeans and stuff in a Tommy Hilfiger shop in the states, bought it home and started wearing it. It was only when I set off alarms in most shops that I went into, that I realised that there is a security tag sewn into all their clothing, next to the care label. It has to be cut out once you get the clothes home. You learn something new every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The alarm in the shop hadn't triggered and had only triggered in another shop so I hadn't been aware of it.

This has happened to me loads of times. Sometimes, it's only after going in and out of a few shops that an alarm will sound. I think a lot of those sensors are not very good. They're more a visual deterrent, rather than something that's designed to catch people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

A few years back I was in a shop in Jervis St trying on some clothes. whatever way the security guards were, they thought that I changed into the clothes I was trying on and walked out of the shop with them on me (obviously I didn't). The security guards allowed me to get as far as the door of the centre before approaching me and I was marched back to the shop with one guard in front of me and one guard behind me (in full public view). Once they realised the mistake, they were very apologetic. The security company and the shop initially offered me 100 pounds in vouchers for the shop and then it was 100 pounds in cash. Eventually I went to a solicitor and took them to court and got a lot more than that.

A lot of you might say it was nothing but to be treated like that publicly is pretty embarrasing and if unknown to you people you know are in the same shopping centre and see you being approached like that, then it can damage your reputation.

It's a pretty common thing to happen and apparently most shops have insurance against it (I would have gotten more only my case didn't reach court until the end of year when most of the insurance money had already been used up on other cases like mine).

So I guess if the alarm goes off and the staff just wave you on, then that's fine. But if you're stopped by security and marched through the shop or the shopping centre then that's different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Hows aboot if you do a legger when you haven't done anything wrong, get tackled, and get hurt? What would happen there? You're well within your rights to run down the street...

Advertisement