Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are musical airhorns illegal to use?

Options
  • 01-03-2008 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Are musical airhorns illegal to use? I dont hear much of them anymore. They were a big craze back in the 70ies and 80ies.

MainImage_WOmusicalAirHrn.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

i think they died a death with the General Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

They're more tasteless than illegal - there's a few gypp's around with them installed, at least you can hear them coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are musical airhorns illegal to use? I dont hear much of them anymore. They were a big craze back in the 70ies and 80ies.

Yes. Can't find legislation though. AFAIK horns can only emit a single tone not multiple tones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yes. Can't find legislation though. AFAIK horns can only emit a single tone not multiple tones

Pfff, next they'll make cars illegal in this goddamn country. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Well that isn't right anyway, most cars have a dual tone horn.

I suspect musical airhorns are no more illegal than Mr. Whippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yep, many two-tone car alarms were illegal for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

lorries have em,why cant cars have em.I have them in my focus no probs so far:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

maidhc wrote: »
    I suspect musical airhorns are no more illegal than Mr. Whippy.
    That's reminded me of the Morecambe and Wise sketch where a police/ambulance siren goes tearing past outside the window; Eric (Morecambe) pulls back the curtain to look out and says: "He's not going to sell much ice cream going at that speed, is he?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Victor wrote: »
    Yep, many two-tone car alarms were illegal for years.

... but cars are fitted with them from new! e.g. The Toyota Avensis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I want a set of these:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

maidhc wrote: »
    ... but cars are fitted with them from new! e.g. The Toyota Avensis
    "were illegal". Now no longer illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

what about those ice cream vans with the hideous sounds from a thrashed 70s tape recorder or does it sometimes sound like a mosque asking people to pray?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The driver theory test cds that you can buy have a question in them
    "When is it legal to use a musical horn?"

The correct answer is "Never"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Jumpy wrote: »
    The driver theory test cds that you can buy have a question in them
    "When is it legal to use a musical horn?"

The correct answer is "Never"

yes was just going to say that.

Musical horns are illegal, they sound crap anyway, why would you want a stupid sound coming from your car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I think there's some mixing up of 'dual tone' and 'alternating/variable tone' horns (aka: 'sirens') going on here.

AFAIK, 'dual tone' refers to when two (or more) separate devices (air trumpets/electric horns/etc) are sounded together to produce a more 'musical' note than either of them on their own. This mix of high and low tones in the same 'note' is supposed to be audible over a greater range and at longer distances than single tone horns too.
    These have been legally fitted as standard to cars for decades.

Musical horns (air or electrical) play a sequence of different notes (a 'tune', as it were :rolleyes:), which puts them into the same category as sirens, and they're viewed in the same way as blue flashing lights or 'misleading' signwriting on unauthorised vehicles.

Advertisement