Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Mobile Broadband] Streaming issues

Options
  • 01-03-2008 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Myself and the other half are trying to watch the Swedish Eurovision on our laptops (in the same room!). We both have speeds (supposedly) of 3.6 yet it keeps stopping and starting on us. Doesn't matter if we use windows media or real player, same result. What's wrong? Surely 3.6 should be fast enough to watch this?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Myself and the other half are trying to watch the Swedish Eurovision on our laptops (in the same room!). We both have speeds (supposedly) of 3.6 yet it keeps stopping and starting on us. Doesn't matter if we use windows media or real player, same result. What's wrong? Surely 3.6 should be fast enough to watch this?

Using wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

No, mobile broadband.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, mobile broadband.

Whose?

O2 and 3.

Regards 3 at least, check through the sticky about them
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306

there's some good bits of info, though I suspect there's not much to be done to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Mobile Broadband is your problem.

For live streaming consider DSL/Cable if possible.

Swedish Eurovision :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's probably not buffering the stream. Try increasing the buffer size in the video player settings, 30 seconds should be fine. What player are you using to watch this? More explained on buffering here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

3.6 is the internaql modem max speed, not your connection speed which can be as low as 70k (0.07Mbps) and reporting 3.6Mbps on task tray.

It depends on Signal and how many are on the mast sector if Mobile Internet is good enough to stream. With 10 users on one sector you may get 100kbps to 270kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No, mobile broadband.

It's not broadband. It's mobile internet.

Anyhow, speed is not the only thing, that prevents you from streaming, but also latency (ping times) and they can be very varying on mobile internet. They depend on distance to mast, weather and if you are inside or outside.

On top of that, as Watty said, it depends on how many other people are using mobile internet in the same cell at the same time. The 3.6 Mbit is a total, which is shared between those people.

/Marlow

Hal1 wrote: »
    It's probably not buffering the stream. Try increasing the buffer size in the video player settings, 30 seconds should be fine. What player are you using to watch this? More explained on buffering here.

I've tried Windows Media and Real Player. How do I adjust the video player settings? Where do I find them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There could also have been great pressure on the site from fellow Eurovision fans:rolleyes:

Hal1 wrote: »

Could someone please tell me how to increase the buffer size before the final on Saturday! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If your using windows media player, go to the 'tools' menu up top then 'options' and have a look at 'network buffering options'. It will be set to use 'default buffering (recommended)', select check box below it and set it to buffer 30 seconds of content before playing any video. That way it shouldn't be stopping and starting every 5 seconds heh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

edited thread title in-line with charter

Thanks for the advice. Will do that. Go Sweden! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Could someone please tell me how to increase the buffer size before the final on Saturday! :o

while increasing the buffer size might help a bit its still mobile broadband and streaming will always be jumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Latency doesn't matter for streaming. Jitter does. Increasing buffer increases latency and masks jitter. It won't help much or at all. If the problem is demand on the mast sector you can do nothing unless you set buffer to size of program and then watch it when finished! (i.e. downloads still work when streaming doesn't).

Advertisement