Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heading to letterkenny soon. whats it like?

• 01-03-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

hi there

im planning on heading to college in september in letterkenny!

bit of a stretch for me as im from tipperary.. :(

so ive a few questions hopefully ye could help me with.

ill be looking at renting a house/apartment.

looking for something with a decent size. ive perused on daft for a while and they seem fairly reasonable. 2 double bedroom apartment for 600 a month,
    3 bed house in great condition for 700 a month.

would these be good prices for letterkenny?

what type of broadband is available? currently ive got 6mb from chorus and hopefully i would get something similiar as i depend on my net! :)

im mad into bowling. is there an alley in the city?

how big is letterkenny? population, size in area etc?

whats the night life like? im 24 in august and tend to head out often enough.

whats the college like? anyone here in college up there?
    im hopefully doing computer security and digital forensics.

while im in college, im not too eagar to work, but if i was to source a part time job, is there much available? im big into computer's and worked in a pc repair shop for a year. other than that im not too interested in bar work or shop work etc.

so any other info that could be useful?

anything would be great :) ive read nearly all the threads here on the donegal forum but lots of them are old and im sure times have changed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

im planning on heading to college in september in letterkenny!

bit of a stretch for me as im from tipperary.. :(

so ive a few questions hopefully ye could help me with.

ill be looking at renting a house/apartment.

looking for something with a decent size. ive perused on daft for a while and they seem fairly reasonable. 2 double bedroom apartment for 600 a month,
    3 bed house in great condition for 700 a month.

would these be good prices for letterkenny?

Average rent is €130-€150 a week for a 3 bed house, the former being an older house and the latter being a new(ish) house.
    There are quite a few flats as well, but i would't be too sure of prices.
    AVOID any student accommodation companies, in my experience they charge more for the same thing.
    If you are up in LKY look out for the adverts paper The Dealer, plenty of accommodation in it.
    what type of broadband is available? currently ive got 6mb from chorus and hopefully i would get something similiar as i depend on my net! :)

usual, irishbroadband, smart, clearwire, perlico, digiweb.
    I'm with Irishbroadband, i think they do faster rates, but 2mb is fine for me.
    also handy if you dont want a phone line.
    im mad into bowling. is there an alley in the city?
    Arena 7. Located on the Ramelton rd, not too fair away from the IT, and there is plenty of accommodation that would be close to both.
    how big is letterkenny? population, size in area etc?
    I think its 14,000 within the town boundry. Size about 3sq mile.

whats the night life like? im 24 in august and tend to head out often enough

Excellent, for the size of the town there's plenty of clubs and pubs. Most of them have their own student night, Milan and Voodo are the most popular with students
    whats the college like? anyone here in college up there?
    im hopefully doing computer security and digital forensics.

Cant really comment, did't go to college in LKY, but i dont hear many complaints from the students ;)
    while im in college, im not too eagar to work, but if i was to source a part time job, is there much available? im big into computer's and worked in a pc repair shop for a year. other than that im not too interested in bar work or shop work etc.

so any other info that could be useful?
    Most students either work in pubs, hotels or shops. You could send CV's off to some of the computer shops;
    Format Computer Systems LTD,
    Station Roundabout,
    Letterkenny,
    Co. Donegal.
    http://www.formatcomputers.com/

there is a compustore too, do know the address. and there are a few independent computer repair places.
    anything would be great :) ive read nearly all the threads here on the donegal forum but lots of them are old and im sure times have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Senna has got it spot on there!

muffler wrote:
    Senna, say thank you muffler

cheers Muffler or i mean Thank you:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Senna wrote: »
    cheers Muffler or i mean Thank you:D:D:D
    You're welcome. :)

Didnt know if you would have spotted that or not.

I seen my posted looked much better, so it was either our local friendly mod or i'd been sleep editing again:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

hey senna thanks for all that info!

its helped make my mind up for going to letterkenny for sure.

:)

Advertisement