Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Breaking contract" charges

Options
  • 01-03-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

I've been with O2 for years and I have a bill phone. My phone was robbed last night and decided to take advantage of the situation and change from 02 to a Meteor pay as you go phone as can't really afford a bill phone at the moment.

Rang up customer care for O2 and asked for my account to be unlocked as I wanted to change netwrok. They told me that as I had upgraded my phone 7 months ago I had therefore entered a "verbal contract" stating that I would stay with O2 for a year. To cancel that contract I would incur an €85 fee.

Has this happened to anyone else?A guy with Meteor that I spoke to said that a verbal contract shouldn't hold much weight as I never actually signed anything. Customer care for O2 were adamant though that there was no way around paying the fee. Do I have a leg to stand on here?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I presume you signed something , or clicked on something (if it was online) when getting the new phone?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If you got a bill paying upgrade, you did sign a form stating you would stay with O2 for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

If you read the form that you fill out online you will notice that it states that by accepting an upgrade you are agreeing to extend the contract you signed by another 12 months.

O2 subsidised the price of the handset and are entitled to recoup this cost. You are not entitled to just cancel the contract as you still owe the money for the handset, even though you lost it / it was stolen from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

TheNibbler wrote: »
    Has this happened to anyone else?A guy with Meteor that I spoke to said that a verbal contract shouldn't hold much weight as I never actually signed anything. Customer care for O2 were adamant though that there was no way around paying the fee. Do I have a leg to stand on here?!

yes its happened to every customer that's ever upgraded with any of the networks. all upgrades start a new contract. that's why they give them to you at low cost

the guy in meteor is talking out his hole tbh. they have the very same system and he knows well that an upgrade puts you in a new contract

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Ok, thanks. Guess I'm stuck with O2 for another few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Never believe a phone salesman.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

O2 aint that bad, there cheaper then Vodafone and better service then Meteor..

Advertisement