Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of a service..

Options
  • 01-03-2008 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

I got my a4 serviced today by a local fella and he replaced all the filters, changed the oils, replaced a bulb on the rear reg plate and the usual service things like checking the brakes etc.

It cost 300 notes. Is this expensive? I haven't a clue what it would normally cost. Any opinions lpease? Ta..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That's a top of the range main dealer price.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What type of oil (mineral/semi synthetic/synthetic)? Where were the parts from (Audi or local motor factors)?
    Its probably at the upper end of what I would expect but it will depend on what he used and worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would be wanting discs and pads changed too for that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

rondeco wrote: »
    I got my a4 serviced today by a local fella and he replaced all the filters, changed the oils, replaced a bulb on the rear reg plate and the usual service things like checking the brakes etc.

It cost 300 notes. Is this expensive? I haven't a clue what it would normally cost. Any opinions lpease? Ta..

This is how I would see it priced, give or take a few yo yo's.
    Oil Filter: €10
    Air Filter: €20
    Oil: €40
    Bulb: €1
    Labour: €100 (estimated 2 hours work)
    Total Cost: €171

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

macnab wrote: »

I doubt it even took him 2 hours to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 vic_dublin

macnab wrote: »

DO U KNOW IF HE ALSO CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER, POWER STARRING FLUID, BRAKE AND CLUCH FLUID AND POSSIBILLY SPARK PLUGS TOO? IF HE DID THEN 300 IS GOOD VALUE

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

First of all, exactly what do you mean by "all the filters" and "the oils"??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

got my 2.2i-cdti Accord serviced on friday
    Had oil, fuel and air filter changed.
    Engine oil.
    One bulb as well
    and labour was 80euro.

Total was 180euro so i was happy enough with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Catscar

What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Engine oil.
    One bulb as well
    and labour was 80euro.

Did they use castrol edge 0w30?! (or was it at a main dealer?!)

@ Rondeco - that's about the price you'd pay at a main dealer - a full service can take around 2 hours, give or take, and that covers checking the brakes. If you think he is ripping you off, ask for an itemised bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

land9 wrote: »
    Did they use castrol edge 0w30?! (or was it at a main dealer?!)

Yea i told the mechanic who is a cousin who has his own garage, and he said he got it with the filters so that should be grand :) i know need to make sure use the right oil, cos it affects the turbo i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

Seems on the high side to me, granted i got quoted 450 for a standard service from a main dealer in Dublin recently :rolleyes: couldn't believe it.

I presume it was a diesel, service shouldn't have been more than 200 in my book, i get mine for €150 for a basic service but i know the guy. All that should be involved are the basic checks, a few filters and the oil. In this case perhaps more parts were needed? The oil used is a big factor as well, i think top spec synthetic is about 70 for the A4. Maybe you got a long life service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

180 wasn't bad - the fuel filter is a pain in the h0le to change!! I'da charged you nearly that just to change it, pay off the chiropractor!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

was quoted 400 today for my a4.... and thats just the basics!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

Engine oil.
    One bulb as well
    and labour was 80euro.

At that price i can't see how he used the correct oil, knock the vat out of that, take €75-100 labour out and the price of the filters, usually expensive fuel filter and there ain't alot left for 0w-30, fair play to him though if he did, i've seen them accords serviced and the parts were more

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

anto-t wrote: »
    was quoted 400 today for my a4.... and thats just the basics!!!!!

I got quoted €500 with a straight face by my local Volvo dealer for a standard service on an S80. :rolleyes:

Gary

hebejebees wrote: »
    At that price i can't see how he used the correct oil, knock the vat out of that, take €75-100 labour out and the price of the filters, usually expensive fuel filter and there ain't alot left for 0w-30, fair play to him though if he did, i've seen them accords serviced and the parts were more

hebejebees could give us a breakdown, but the costs for Honda parts is roughly:
    Air filter: 30
    Oil filter: 22 :eek:
    Fuel filter: dunno
    Oil: ~6 euro per litre/4 litres: 24
    Bulb: 1
    Total = 77 (plus fuel filter)

180 doesn't seem unreasonable.

Main Honda dealer services my sister's Jazz for 60 for a "small" (ie oil) service, or 120 for a "big" (oil+filters) service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Hang on Guys,

Take a walk around a main dealers workshop, the Brand mandated equipment they "must" have would set you back 250K. Think about that in terms of repayments as a 10 yr mortgage... then add 20K a year to upgrade for the new models...

This is what drives up labour rates.

The poor sod at service reception has to justify this.

This is why its easy for the independent to undercut main dealer rates.

Blame the manufacturer for insisting on all that wizardry and then blame the garage for paying peanuts to their mechanics, net result: their staff don't know how to use it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Think thats bad try €750!

Brake Discs
    Brake Pads
    Oil & Lubricants
    Filters
    4 new Tyres (Needed to be done)
    Some Cable

In fairness, what tyres went on? For my car you are talking about €700-€800 for four tyres!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mickdw wrote: »
    I would be wanting discs and pads changed too for that amount.

...for ones made of cheese ??? 'cos that's all you'd get at that money....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...for ones made of cheese ??? 'cos that's all you'd get at that money....
    Mmmmm Cheese.... arghurgle ghurgle dribble

@)
    ( ~~)

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

kbannon wrote: »
    In fairness, what tyres went on? For my car you are talking about €700-€800 for four tyres!

Basic 15" €60 Tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Girlfriend paid 350ish for a basic service on a 06 Skoda Octavia at Autostation in Sandyford.....they didnt even wash it:confused:
    Needless to say....we wont be going back!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vic_dublin

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Girlfriend paid 350ish for a basic service on a 06 Skoda Octavia at Autostation in Sandyford.....they didnt even wash it:confused:
    Needless to say....we wont be going back!!!!

350? :eek:
    by the way afaik washing the is car is not included in the service in Ireland.
    i can wash ur car for 8 euros plus vat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Some big prices there. I'd only charge €50 for labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Had the dash out and broke the airbag circuit so the light stayed on for 3 min everytime the car was started.

Went to the local indy, had a diagnostic scan, reset the airbag light, power steering fluid topped up and a car wash.

€45. Trilled.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Plug wrote: »
    Some big prices there. I'd only charge €50 for labour.

What, to do it on your driveway like?

If you have a fully equipped garage and are a qualified mechanic charging just €50 labour for a full service, you should register as a charity mate.

kbannon wrote: »
    €200 a tyre.. what size are they?

• Advertisement

Front: 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1
    Rear: 255/40/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 - due to be replaced soon :(

Advertisement