Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of a service..

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Actually just pricing them on eiretyres, the prices for the rears are €160 so if I can get fitting cheap then its a lot less that what was paid for the last set!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

If you're in dublin try Pat Clifford tyres. 260euro for 2 215/45/17 tyres last friday. They'll have to order them in so give them a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I got a service done on my VW Polo, dad's friend used to run a garage. Got all the bits from a VW dealer.
    -Break pads
    -Oil filter
    -Air filter
    -Oil change (special VW oil by mobil I think cuz it cost 50/60)
    -4 new spark plugs
    Edit - and a nut/bolt thingy for one of the break pads

(I *think* that was it)
    €160 (no labour charge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

JHMEG wrote: »
    hebejebees could give us a breakdown, but the costs for Honda parts is roughly:
    Air filter: 30
    Oil filter: 22 :eek:
    Fuel filter: dunno
    Oil: ~6 euro per litre/4 litres: 24
    Bulb: 1
    Total = 77 (plus fuel filter)

180 doesn't seem unreasonable.

Main Honda dealer services my sister's Jazz for 60 for a "small" (ie oil) service, or 120 for a "big" (oil+filters) service.

Ok the prices you've listed out are fairly accurate, but the proper oil retails at a motor factors at about €60 for 5 litres, main dealer charging more and i'd put a fuel filter at about 30 or so, all i said was add them up with vat and there isn't alot left for labour.

€60/120 at a main dealer sounds great in this day, do you mind me asking what part of the country they are in? and do they change the oil filter in a €60 service?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

kbannon wrote: »
    What type of oil (mineral/semi synthetic/synthetic)? Where were the parts from (Audi or local motor factors)?
    Its probably at the upper end of what I would expect but it will depend on what he used and worked on.
    He said he used audi's recommended long life oil or something like that and the parts were genuine audi parts. (He said).
    vic_dublin wrote: »
    DO U KNOW IF HE ALSO CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER, POWER STARRING FLUID, BRAKE AND CLUCH FLUID AND POSSIBILLY SPARK PLUGS TOO? IF HE DID THEN 300 IS GOOD VALUE
    He changed the fuel filter but not sure about the rest of the things you mention.
    Catscar wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in?

It was done in south dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    Rear: 255/40/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 - due to be replaced soon :(
    Was just looking at a friend's 275/40/R18. €185 each for Falkens, but I reckon they could be had cheaper if he chose a more common size.

hebejebees wrote: »
    but the proper oil retails at a motor factors
    I'm always amused by people paying big money in Halfords or somewhere for oil, when the exact right oil, own brand, can be had from a main dealer for a lot less. I bought Honda 0W20 (probably the most refined oil you can buy) for about 6 euro a litre, and that's in them fecking 1 litre bottles.
    €60/120 at a main dealer sounds great in this day, do you mind me asking what part of the country they are in? and do they change the oil filter in a €60 service?
    That'd be in Flanagan's, near Tulsk in Co Roscommon. Small service the oil filter isn't changed. Bear in mind her's is a petrol Jazz, so will be a bit cheaper to service (less oil, cheaper filters etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

At that price i can't see how he used the correct oil, knock the vat out of that, take €75-100 labour out and the price of the filters, usually expensive fuel filter and there ain't alot left for 0w-30, fair play to him though if he did, i've seen them accords serviced and the parts were more

well the guy is a distant cousin so i dont think he charged much for labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

Oilrig wrote: »
    Hang on Guys,

Take a walk around a main dealers workshop, the Brand mandated equipment they "must" have would set you back 250K. Think about that in terms of repayments as a 10 yr mortgage... then add 20K a year to upgrade for the new models...

This is what drives up labour rates.

The poor sod at service reception has to justify this.

This is why its easy for the independent to undercut main dealer rates.

Blame the manufacturer for insisting on all that wizardry and then blame the garage for paying peanuts to their mechanics, net result: their staff don't know how to use it...

Is some of this cost not subsidised by the mark up on second hand and brand new cars???

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€200 a tyre.. what size are they?

The RRP for the tyres recommended for my car is €330 a tyre last time I looked (255/45 18 (R) and 235/50 18 (F))

Just looked on eiretyres and they're down to €200 (R) - €215 (F) there :eek:

The cheapest I'd seen them there was about €240 iirc. That's for continental sportcontact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

PauloMN wrote: »
    What, to do it on your driveway like?

If you have a fully equipped garage and are a qualified mechanic charging just €50 labour for a full service, you should register as a charity mate.
    Yeah on the driveway with a few jacks does the job.

unkel wrote: »
    The RRP for the tyres recommended for my car is €330 a tyre last time I looked (255/45 18 (R) and 235/50 18 (F))

Just looked on eiretyres and they're down to €200 (R) - €215 (F) there :eek:

The cheapest I'd seen them there was about €240 iirc. That's for continental sportcontact
    Bigger sizes are becoming more common and therefore cheaper. I expect the price of 13" and 14" tyres is slowly going up...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Bigger sizes are becoming more common and therefore cheaper. I expect the price of 13" and 14" tyres is slowly going up...
    I don't even think most cars being built have rims that size anymore.

Advertisement