Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help the new guy

Options
  • 02-03-2008 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Recently got BF 2 - only prob is when I go to play online multiplayer there are fu,k all ranked games to join - usually only one

Do I need to update or apply certain filters ???

Any help is greatly appreciated and especially if you reply in the simplest terms possible - just pretend you are talking to an idiot (because you are)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

muletide wrote: »
    Hi,

Recently got BF 2 - only prob is when I go to play online multiplayer there are fu,k all ranked games to join - usually only one

Do I need to update or apply certain filters ???

Any help is greatly appreciated and especially if you reply in the simplest terms possible - just pretend you are talking to an idiot (because you are)

Patch to 1.41

http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/BF2/1.41/BF2_Patch_1.41.exe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

BF2 isn't clever enough to let you know that you need an update, not your fault :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yes questions from new guys are always welcome here.

After you patch use the filters.
    Dont let it show you empty or full servers, or passworded serers and ya should be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

or full servers

Not neccessarily. If you find a server running the map you want that has a solid ping it might be worth your while waiting a few minutes for a slot to open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Thanks alot guys - Will try all the advice tonight.

Now to waste a few hours of my life

• Advertisement

Idiot's back

Installed that patch successfully.

But every time I join a game I get kicked after 5 seconds with a message from Punkbuster "Inadequete O/S Privilages" - How do I sort this ?

Any help is again greatly appreciated

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Idiot's back

Installed that patch successfully.

But every time I join a game I get kicked after 5 seconds with a message from Punkbuster "Inadequete O/S Privilages" - How do I sort this ?

Any help is again greatly appreciated

You need to be admin on your machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I think you are running vista then? If so you need to take owner ship of the aplication. I cant remember how to do that in vista but I know I had to do it a long time ago.
    I thinkn right clilcking on the bf2 Icon and looking at the properties might be a place to start.

Thanks again guys,

I am running Vista so I will try that. Although I thought I had set myself up as the administrator on the machine as I am the only one that uses it and I bought it new a few weeks ago.

Anyway will try those things tonight and no doubt I will be back here annoying ye with some other problem.

Thanks again

Thanks for the help. I had to right click on the icon and set it to run as administrator.

Now for my latest problem - I can only choose from about ten games/servers

But I can see about 10,000 servers (highlighted in red) that I cant access - any ideas ??

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help. I had to right click on the icon and set it to run as administrator.

Now for my latest problem - I can only choose from about ten games/servers

But I can see about 10,000 servers (highlighted in red) that I cant access - any ideas ??

That usually means wrong patch. Are you sure the version you've installed is 1.41?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I just started attemting to play BF2 online having had it since it came out (I've tended to stick with BF 1942).

Anyway, I updated it the other day to version 1.41, yet anytime I've tried to play online, I get a message stating that the server doesn't want versions that have been "modded" and to change back to the original version and try again.

tis a pain in the a**e!!

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Anyway, I updated it the other day to version 1.41, yet anytime I've tried to play online, I get a message stating that the server doesn't want versions that have been "modded" and to change back to the original version and try again.

tis a pain in the a**e!!

You need to reapply the 1.41 patch until it works I'm afraid !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Ponster wrote: »
    You need to reapply the 1.41 patch until it works I'm afraid !

Ok, excuse the idiot question here, but is there somewhere specific that it gives the version number of BF2? I notice a number on the top right of the main screen - is that it? Mine currently says something like 1.1******.

I've re-installed the patch, but no luck.

Is it sufficient just to install 1.41 or do I need to install all the intevening patches?

Mike

You don't need to touch the earlier patches, 1.41 will do the job.

As for version numbers :

Basic BF2 = 1.0.2442.0

Version 1.41 = 1.1.2965-797.0

The modded error is a bitch that soaked up a LOT of my life in 2006 trying to figure it out. People came up with a million different solutions, none that worked for everyone.

My way involved removing one of my RAM sticks and reinstalling the patch. It turns out that one stick had errors that while didn't seem to cause any problems in day-to-day computing, resulted in a broken BF2.

Advertisement