Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to embed a pre-made flash gallery into a page?

Options
  • 02-03-2008 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I've just been playing around with the automated flash gallery thingy in photoshop, and I'm pretty happy, visually, with the final result. Now I want to stick it up on my website.

What i have is an index.htm file, a couple of .js and .xml files and the actual .swf flash file itself. There doesn't seem to be any scope to edit the index.html to add in a header, or any navigation to bring me back to other pages of the site. I've tried adding test text to areas and it just breaks it.

I was wondering if there's a way to embed the index.htm page inside another page. Are frames the only option? Why do people cringe when you mention frames anyway, is it just because you can't bookmark individual pages? Since I'm using flash, that hardly bothers me :rolleyes:

As it happens, I did set up a test page with a frame - but i couldn't get rid of the line between them, even with the noresize and frameborder=0 tags, it still showed as white on my dark background... is there a way round that?

(I'm a beginner with css, haven't previously done any xml and no javascript, just previous dabblings with html and asp.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

can you throw the file up online ?

I've not used the flash gallery thing you speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Index file attached...

You can see the gallery here too.

I also found an explanation on something which sounds similiar on photo.net but I'm struggling to make sense of it:
    Jen Lambert, Feb 14, 2008; 03:14 p.m.

I'm actually doing this right now. I create my gallery in LR. I'm using coffee cup free html editor. My main folder for my website is "2008 Website." This is where my html pages are stored. I've added a header, menu, and copyright info to the page I'm working on (say "seniorgallery.html"). I then go to LR and export my gallery. When it gives me the choice of where to export it to, I choose "2008 Website" and name it "senior gallery." "Senior Gallery" is now a sub-folder within the folder "2008 Website." In that subfolder is a page titled "index" which is the basic 'page' of the gallery, a CSS page, a folder of images, and some other stuff.

Since I'm using more CSS on my page, I copy the CSS that is on the new index page (generated from LR), and paste it into my main CSS text document. (This is just housecleaning). I then copy the script tags (in the head of the document) and the actuall script from the body and paste it in the appropriate place in my html document seniorgallery.html.

Be sure to change the doc type at the top as well (the first line of the html document). You may have to houseclean your links, too. Since my senior gallery is in a subfolder, I have to ../link back to other pages that are in my main folder. If you have multiple galleries, I found it easiest to just export them into their own subfolder to avoid reference names being the same for each gallery.

I then save "seniorgallery.html" in the folder "Senior Gallery." If that isn't clear it goes like this- "2008 Website>Senior Gallery>seniorgallery.html" and within the folder Senior Gallery is everything I need for my flash gallery, including the html page with the gallery embeded. When I'm ready, I just ftp everything away to my host and the structure is intact.

Sounds more confusing than it is. If you aren't using a html editor, I would recommend coffee cup. You can see your file structure and save and view quickly to work out the kinks. Good luck!

Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Hmm.... the bit that reads as ...
    var myFlashObject = new FlashObject("gallery.swf", "gallery", "100%", "100%", 6, "#ffffff");

is going to make it 100% of the browser I'd guess so if you want to add in your own menus and so on you'll want to maybe change that to either the max size of your photos plus a bit .. you'll probably have to play around with it a bit...

I didn't read that long post sorry (I'm lazy) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

forbairt wrote: »
    I didn't read that long post sorry (I'm lazy) :D

'tis a bit late ;)

I'll give the size thing a try... cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

elven wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any scope to edit the index.html to add in a header, or any navigation to bring me back to other pages of the site. I've tried adding test text to areas and it just breaks it.
    Can you not add some text just after where it says <body> and before it says <div style="display:none">?

• Advertisement
Advertisement