Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAA buy catholic.ie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

nerin wrote: »
    LoL that would be some ban :rolleyes:

Someone posted it earlier today...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

SDooM wrote: »
    Someone posted it earlier today...

did they get banned like rtdh suggested?

did they get banned like rtdh suggested?

There were a couple of "trolly" responses, and rightly too. I'll mosey over and check.

EDIT: It's still there!

SDooM wrote: »
    There were a couple of "trolly" responses, and rightly too. I'll mosey over and check.

EDIT: It's still there!

good,even though its a joke,im sure serious discussion could be had of it. :D

good,even though its a joke,im sure serious discussion could be had of it. :D

I tried up above, with the I-can't-take-Ratzinger-seriously point. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Yeah, once again the Christians are demonstrating their dumbfoundingly modest ability to laugh at themselves. How do they do it? :rolleyes:

adamd164 wrote: »
    Yeah, once again the Christians are demonstrating their dumbfoundingly modest ability to laugh at themselves. How do they do it? :rolleyes:
    :D
    they are the religion with the best sense of humor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

So funny! Can't wait for Ratzinger strikes back

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

Just on a whim I tried
    www.god.ie

It's either really subtle humour or just very odd.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Right over your head, eh Obni? :D *pnewm!*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

Starwars and Roman Catholicism have something in common i.e. They are both myths :D

pope-benedict-palpatine.jpg

Halfdog wrote: »
    Starwars and Roman Catholicism have something in common i.e. They are both myths :D

pope-benedict-palpatine.jpg

I'd never noticed that before.

Didn't Palpatine tell a story in revenge of the sith about a legendary sith lord who could bring others back to life, and was betrayed by one of his pupils?

Pharyngula has noticed catholic.ie

(ain't a hack, btw. pz had just assumed the cc weren't stupid enough to let the domain lapse!)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Oooh, the C forum didnt like that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i think that may have been the point.......

either way very funny indeed. wonder what the fallout from that will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Anyone speak Spanish?
    Babelfish translation says: "A group of Atheistic Irish bought weeks ago the Catholic.ie dominion simply to hang in ridicule tone a science video fiction where “in a galaxy very very distant a new Pope settles down“, comparing the hierarchy of being able of the catholic church with Star Wars. If they understand to him, the narration in himself is quite graceful, and if it seems to them ofensivo… he is single a video, relájense. The real site of the Christians is another one."

Ai ai ai... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

Leon11 wrote: »
    This place must be full of geeks if the majority of you think this is funny!

Taking the webname was funny I'll admit but I watched about 20secs of that video and all I got was that whoever did the video is a dreary fecker, jesus his voice would put you to sleep

Yeah the clip does actually require a better attention span than that of a gold fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Um, it's childish no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

nesf wrote: »
    Um, it's childish no?

No.

Its very intellectual satire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Um, it's childish no?

I'm sure it would have been an equal hoot if a religious group had got athiest.ie how we would laugh.

• Advertisement

Looking at it from atheist.ie's perspective, who gives a sh1t? Thousands of page views since purchasing catholic.ie and a load of new members.

I'm sure it would have been an equal hoot if a religious group had got athiest.ie how we would laugh.

That's what I mean, it just strikes me as a prank rather than anything resembling satire. Don't get me wrong, I find the video funny, I just think that there's a distinct lack of respect in the action which is something I dislike about both sides tbh.

Irish Atheists want to attract people to their website. Every visitor is a potential member. Has this video succeeded from that point of view? Moreso than could have even been expected. Take a look at the site stats over the last month.

Incidentally, they did not make that video, it's by Adam Buxton. It may not be very pointed satire, but some would say that -- though quixotic -- it demonstrates admirably the bizareness that seems to be inherent in the Catholic Church's set up.

Irish Atheists want to attract people to their website. Every visitor is a potential member. Has this video succeeded from that point of view? Moreso than could have even been expected. Take a look at the site stats over the last month.

I don't disagree that it's an advertisement coup. I just find the whole incident a bit "hiding the teachers pencils" type stuff.
    Incidentally, they did not make that video, it's by Adam Buxton. It may not be very pointed satire, but some would say that -- though quixotic -- it demonstrates admirably the bizareness that seems to be inherent in the Catholic Church's set up.

It's not so much bizarre as it is old fashioned pageantry left over from cultures long left behind tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Ritually cannibalising the son of an imaginary being is pretty bizarre if you ask me.

But the video is not intellectual satire, just a bit of petty (but funny!) messing.

Surely if the Catholic church were smart they would start looking to satires like this as something which highlights issues that need to be addressed in the modern day.

Anything which doesn't face challenges stagnates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That's what I mean, it just strikes me as a prank rather than anything resembling satire. Don't get me wrong, I find the video funny, I just think that there's a distinct lack of respect in the action which is something I dislike about both sides tbh.

Since when is respect required for satire?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

brilliant :D

Zillah wrote: »
    Since when is respect required for satire?

Would you not see the difference between "The Life of Brian" and satirical acting during a Mass? I think there's a time and place for satire, I appreciate that many wouldn't agree with me on this, it's just a personal belief (I do hold a few :p).

• Advertisement

The Life of Brian is actually very close to reality. It's sort of like "Monty Python does Joseph Smith".

I only wish Joseph's mummy had come out to the hordes of mormons one day and went "he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

Advertisement