Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

expired winning docket

Options
  • 02-03-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

quick question moved house recently and found football docket(ladbrokes) which was placed a year go. long story short it was a football acum and was (is in my eyes). worth c.|€1.5k.they refused to pay on the grounds that it expires after 6 months. anybody else encounter similiar problems any thoughts.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jaysus. What accum was it & did you actually know how much it was worth? I would suggest to look at the terms and conditions on their website. If it is in there then you've very little room for manouevre.

The reason that collect times for payouts are limited is I assume got to do with Accounts for the year. You can't keep a payout on hold indefinitely and I'd imagine Bookies write it off as a bad creditor if there is such a thing.

Having said that, I could be way wide of the mark here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bad situation. Ladrokes are under no obligation to honour the bet (strictly speaking they are under no obligation to honour any bet, but lets not go there) as most bookies use a 6 month expiry rule.

My advice would be to bypass their Irish operation, and write (not email) direct to head office in England with a photocopy of the bet... be nice, say what shop you put the bet on, explain why you didn't collect it (be plausible etc) and they'll probably pay you.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

thanks for the replies lads. Cson of course I Knew what it was worth I was in the shop for over 20 mins arguing/discussing it.I just checked the t & c's on Lads -can't see anything about a 6 month expiration period. I will write to them and see what happens thanks ArmaniJeanss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

May I ask what you do if you can afford to have a fifteen hundred euro docket going uclaimed. I'd have been at the counter as soon as the final whistles went :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

By all means write but I would ring them as no way does a bet expire after 6 months!

• Advertisement

By all means write but I would ring them as no way does a bet expire after 6 months!

Eh, after what time do you think a bet expires... 6 months, a year, 10 years, 50 years ?. There has to be a cut-off point, most bookies use 6 months.

The very worst thing the OP could do is ring them with a "no way does a bet expire after 6 months!" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Lads, most bookies guarantee payment for 6 months, after that you're hitting a grey area. Back in the day betting slips were in two parts, a white part (for the shops) and a yellow part (for yourself), now if you're talking a slip from the last 18-24 months its all on a computer database, so they still have a copy of YOUR bet on record, if their rules (as most bookies state) is 6 months unclaimed, you're done, but sure threaten them with IBAS, most bookies won't resort to IBAS if they think they'll lose, as it'll F**K there reputation.

GOOD NEWS!!!!
    I sent an email to customer care and received the favorable response I was hoping for.

"I can confirm that the guranteed time period where shops can payout bets is within 13 months of settlements. However we do offer to payout bets dated prior do this, if we can obtain official confirmation of the result. This is our official stance a nd I do apologise if the shop is giving you incorrect information.

If the shop is having trouble paying you out, you do also have the option to send us your original betting slip to our head office, and once the official result can be confirmed we will gladly send you a cheque with the returns. ......"

In other words this 6 month thing I was told is a load of rubbish- but alls welll that ends well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Well done - congrats!

GOOD NEWS!!!!
    I sent an email to customer care and received the favorable response I was hoping for.

"I can confirm that the guranteed time period where shops can payout bets is within 13 months of settlements. However we do offer to payout bets dated prior do this, if we can obtain official confirmation of the result. This is our official stance a nd I do apologise if the shop is giving you incorrect information.

If the shop is having trouble paying you out, you do also have the option to send us your original betting slip to our head office, and once the official result can be confirmed we will gladly send you a cheque with the returns. ......"

In other words this 6 month thing I was told is a load of rubbish- but alls welll that ends well!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Good news for you

Interesting the point that if they can obtain official confirmation of the result - I wonder does this mean a bet has no expiry date?? As surely any result on any sport is kept by their respective bodies I.E Irish Racing board would have the result of every race in Ireland for the last 30 or whatever years???

It would seem to indicate that alright Keano and rightly so, in this day and age every result is readily available. A bet is a bet and all that.

Nice 1, good to see a happy resolution to one of these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

i no u have no other option but be very wary of sending the original and ur only copy of the slip i had a friend who was asked the same thing( not in a bookies) but he sent it off heard nothing rang them and they basically said we have no recored of anything, in other words they ripped it up and chucked the only peice of proof he had

Advertisement