Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colm and Jim Jim Mega Merge (previously Colm and Jim Jim one year one...)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Bit of a bump here

Anyone know who plays the Duggy/Gavin part on the show, tried google but couldntfind it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I see the latest JNLR released yesterday show they lost 19,000 listeners....woops! Another 19,000 on the next round and questions will be asked Im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Claire Duignan, head of RTE Radio said "the Breakfast Show and all programmes in 2fm schedule would be looked in detail over the coming months to see how they are meeting the expectations of their new target audience." Perhaps, Colm and JimJim should be a bit concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Sizzler wrote: »
    I see the latest JNLR released yesterday show they lost 19,000 listeners....woops! Another 19,000 on the next round and questions will be asked Im sure.
    The breakfast show audience must be back to close to where it was when Marty Whealan was doing the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Claire Duignan, head of RTE Radio said "the Breakfast Show and all programmes in 2fm schedule would be looked in detail over the coming months to see how they are meeting the expectations of their new target audience." Perhaps, Colm and JimJim should be a bit concerned.

Whilst shedding 19,000 listeners is obviousely a lot, I think the whole economic collapse and people wanting more current affairs would be a major factor in their decline.

Also with more people on the dole q's, the potential rush hour audience decreases...

Maybe so. But the new 2fm boss is bound to make some changes, whether they would make such a drastic change as replacing Colm and JimJim....who knows, probably not. We will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

I Love Them There So Funny!!
    I Won My Oxygen Tickets Off Them Too!!
    I Think If Anyone Needs Replacing On 2FM Its Nikki Hayes Shes Sooo Bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Hi Jimjim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

sisco wrote: »
    I Love Them There So Funny!!
    I Won My Oxygen Tickets Off Them Too!!
    I Think If Anyone Needs Replacing On 2FM Its Nikki Hayes Shes Sooo Bad!!
    Why do you feel the need to capitalise every word?

Haven't heard that breakfast show in a long time; I'm sure it's still muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

themont85 wrote: »
    Whilst shedding 19,000 listeners is obviousely a lot, I think the whole economic collapse and people wanting more current affairs would be a major factor in their decline.

Also with more people on the dole q's, the potential rush hour audience decreases...

A fair point well made. That coupled with how unfunny they are should only lead to more falling figures and lower the angry levels of unsuspecting radio tuners that stumble across their 'comedy' in the morning. A happy worker is a productive worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

mental07 wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to capitalise every word?

Haven't heard that breakfast show in a long time; I'm sure it's still muck.

And while we're in grammar corner it's 'they're' as in 'they're so funny'

Over there
    Their radio show is muck
    They're a bunch of loosers

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Do you know what really annoys me about Colm and Jim's show - when The Apprentice (Irish and English) was being aired Colm and Jim would inform us of who was going to get fired that evening (I think only one Sunday paper leaked who was being fired - luckily I don't read that particular one) and it ruined my viewing of these shows.

Anyway this morning on their Telly Bits section - they were banging on about The Lord of the Ring - which I'm not watching - and they said they knew who the winner was but weren't going to say! Do you think this is because that particular TV show is on RTE and they'd be hammered by their bosses for realeasing details of the winner? Double standards I think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Someone's who's in the industry made the point to me that Colm and Jim are only doing slightly better than Marty Whelan when he was on.

Its been said before here and I'll say it again, theyre just not the same as they were on 104

giftgrub wrote: »
    Someone's who's in the industry made the point to me that Colm and Jim are only doing slightly better than Marty Whelan when he was on.

Its been said before here and I'll say it again, theyre just not the same as they were on 104

And I thought Marty Whelan was better than them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ian Dempsey lost nearly 30,000 last quarter. Anyone want to start a bitchy thread about boring boring Iano... His show is muck!;)

Must agree with post about falling employment levels. It has had a major factor in the latest JNLR's.

I sometimes wonder if the twins from the film Good Morning Vietnam are standing outside the studio with a big red pen crossing off all the funny stuff that's a bit edgy???

Having said that I think they'll assess the show and make the necessary changes. The first hour for me is the best. The 7am to 8am needs work. In fact a female voice on the show wouldn't go a miss. Perfect opportunity for someone like Lucy Kennedy to join up. They need a kinda household name and Lindy is not that name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

bbability wrote: »
    Ian Dempsey lost nearly 30,000 last quarter. Anyone want to start a bitchy thread about boring boring Iano... His show is muck!;)

Must agree with post about falling employment levels. It has had a major factor in the latest JNLR's.

I sometimes wonder if the twins from the film Good Morning Vietnam are standing outside the studio with a big red pen crossing off all the funny stuff that's a bit edgy???

Having said that I think they'll assess the show and make the necessary changes. The first hour for me is the best. The 7am to 8am needs work. In fact a female voice on the show wouldn't go a miss. Perfect opportunity for someone like Lucy Kennedy to join up. They need a kinda household name and Lindy is not that name...

I like the first hour best too. They seem more relaxed and aren't trying as hard, plus the show isn't quite as structured. After that they seem to sit up and think "ok we have our most listeners after 7, best step it up again" and out come the "waheeeeys" everytime they say something funny (:mad::mad::mad: so annoying...some of the stuff they come out with IS funny but when they congratulate themselves it just ruins it).

Lindy is extremely annoying, I find her so hard to listen to. Jacquai Herlihey (sp?) is much better, I know she's a sports broadcaster but she sometimes does other bits on the show and she is much more natural and relaxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I'll tell you something very worrying about the lads (and I'm a fan).

They had nearly 120,000 listeners in Dublin on 104 - they have 40,000 in Dublin now. 1/3 of the audience they had - what's that all about?

Big Balls wrote: »
    I'll tell you something very worrying about the lads (and I'm a fan).

They had nearly 120,000 listeners in Dublin on 104 - they have 40,000 in Dublin now. 1/3 of the audience they had - what's that all about?
    Simple, they have been found out :D

Don't think that's fair - I know you're joking etc but have they been given the support across 2FM? Do they get behind them as much as 104 did? Are the lads pushed to succeed/given direction anymore?

If their figures continue going the way they are I don't see them lasting and together, they were untouchable once upon a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

2FM Breakfast...

We've had Marty Whelan, Orla Rapple, Rick and Ruth, Tubridy, Dempsey...am i forgetting anyone, It seems like everyone's had a go at some stage

Colm and Jim are just the latest..I can't see them lasting either. They were the Big Fish in 104.

All that brekky show, acting the ape,trying to be funny, ass clownery just doesnt do it for me anymore, regardless of the station, theyre all at it if you ask me...

Must be getting old!!

2FM Breakfast...

We've had Marty Whelan, Orla Rapple, Rick and Ruth, Tubridy, Dempsey...am i forgetting anyone, It seems like everyone's had a go at some stage

Colm and Jim are just the latest..I can't see them lasting either. They were the Big Fish in 104.

All that brekky show, acting the ape,trying to be funny, ass clownery just doesnt do it for me anymore, regardless of the station, theyre all at it if you ask me...

Must be getting old!!

Gareth O'Callaghan took over from Ian Dempsey as far as I remember. I don't remember Orla Rapple doing it though.

Couldn't agree more about the whole "acting the ape" in the morning. I liked all of the 2FM morning shows except for Colm and Jim Jim. And I'm growing tired of Morning Ireland, there's only so much economy-bashing I can take. If Colm and Jim Jim go then I might just switch back.

Don't think that's fair - I know you're joking etc but have they been given the support across 2FM? Do they get behind them as much as 104 did? Are the lads pushed to succeed/given direction anymore?

If their figures continue going the way they are I don't see them lasting and together, they were untouchable once upon a time.
    Untouchable on a station that had a dedicated listenership, if you look at the morning figures I dont think FM104 have had such a dramatic defection of listeners to 2fm to listen to these goons. They have a wider audience reach now but plainly capital listeners arent enthused.

Have to agree with the last posters the show format is immature and done to bits at this stage. Colm Hayes should know better at his age :o

The producers also have to take some of the blame, I mean who in their right mind thinks Jim Jim's impressions are funny and the likes of Dougie Highlife and the skanger are entertaining, maybe Im getting old too but this just isnt funny, its annoying !

I suspect the producers bacon is on the line hence the reluctance to make wholesale changes to the format as they are invariably the brains behind the idea of luring them over.

Even if they got binned they would prob pop up on some other station...then again if they were split up I dont think they could cope indvidually.

I had a listen to them today and I can't see how this show could possibly appeal to 25 to 44 year olds. Its just 3 hours of pure drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Well they had the history of Marty, Rick & Ruth and numerous others to warn them that this would happen and they still jumped to 2FM when the offer came

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

GSF wrote: »
    they still jumped to 2FM when the offer came

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree with you more...

Its typical civil service stuff. They were in 5th gear at Hume House. Now it seems they want to be in 5th gear but are very much restricted.

At the end of the day this year is a write off for most stations revenue wise.

Jacqui Hurley is excatly what they need...

I hate double posting but if you remember when the lads were working for 104, they could be anywhere around Dublin in the morning on the road hog. Also they had a few get together's throughout the year. That has not happened once since they've moved to Donnybrook. Through no fault of their own might I add. Why don't RTE get them out on the road? It will do there image no harm. Even parking the Roadcaster outside 104's new studio's for a morning. That'll grab a headline or two..

I mean Dempsey gets to go skiing and do a few other bits throughout the year but RTE are not doing the same at 2fm with Colm and Jim
    The marketing behind them is so rubbish. DO you think the odd mention by John Clarke or Nikki Hayes is classed as marketing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Must be getting old!!

Perhaps but it's still brutal radio. Lowest common denominator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Suffering after the Malahide viaduct collapse. Have to get the bus from Drogheda. The bus driver plays Colm and Jim Jim in the mornings. A look at the faces of some of those without earphones tells alot. I could hear their voices over my ipod and wished I had been on a train when the viaduct collapsed...anything better than listening to them:(

Suffering after the Malahide viaduct collapse. Have to get the bus from Drogheda. The bus driver plays Colm and Jim Jim in the mornings. A look at the faces of some of those without earphones tells alot. I could hear their voices over my ipod and wished I had been on a train when the viaduct collapsed...anything better than listening to them:(
    Do a collection on the bus tomorrow morning at baording time and slip the proceeds to the driver and ask him to turn off the radio :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

I can't listen to them, I've tried to, but its just fodder. Its juvenile, i can't stand the way they go on. That Jim Jim (why twice?) is really childish. And the jingle for the show is really annoying and gets so high pitched I have to switch it off.

Jim jim was off for a few days recently and it was Colm on his own. He was pretty good on his own. I found it much easier to listen to him. There wasn't as much sh!t talk.

If he did the show on his own I'd say there would be way more listeners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Steptoe and Bungle..a pair of twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

The worst duo since the Moors murderers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Great show this morning. Lots of Gerry memories. I never knew they both worked with him at 2fm in the eighties.

The compilation clip they just played almost had me in tears. I'm gonna miss Gerry so much. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭airvan

Great show this morning. Lots of Gerry memories. I never knew they both worked with him at 2fm in the eighties.
    I knew and only recently realised they were the reason I switched off Jerry Ryan back then. Their juvenile so called humour was rubbish even in the eighties. Only recently I began to appreciate J Ryan again.

Those two are not fit to be on same airwaves as Ryan. How they managed a career out of it, God only knows.:(

I like 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

airvan wrote: »
    I knew and only recently realised they were the reason I switched off Jerry Ryan back then. Their juvenile so called humour was rubbish even in the eighties. Only recently I began to appreciate J Ryan again.

Those two are not fit to be on same airwaves as Ryan. How they managed a career out of it, God only knows.:(

G Ryan

The compilation clip they just played almost had me in tears. I'm gonna miss Gerry so much. :(

Jim is quite a bit younger than Colm, he didn't work in 2FM before his current time there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

they confuse me
    i dont know where the show is going
    much better than rick and ruth who just didnt gel at all
    but when i do listen i end up turning off
    too many stupid jingles
    and i just dont think they are that funny
    nothing personal against them, dont hate them
    just dont think they are very good
    would just love a station in the morning that
    plays music and gives news and traffic
    but no inane ramblings and stupidity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

The jingles are head wrecking but I would take them over gerry any morning. Though I'm turning into my dad these days, it's usually Pat I stick on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

I have listened to them for years - even followed them to 2fm from 104.

I have always enjoyed their show ..... they certaily make the drive to work in the morning seem faster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tarakiwa wrote: »
    I have listened to them for years - even followed them to 2fm from 104.

I have always enjoyed their show ..... they certaily make the drive to work in the morning seem faster!

Is that because you wanna speed up to not have to endure them any longer than you need to?

Sorry couldn't resist. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I used to listen to it a lot but then I felt the format went a bit dead.. Haven't listened in months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭celsy

I like colm & jim jim, though i can only listen a little bit on the commute to work, I really don't get how some people don't find it funny, same kinda people who think the mighty boosh is comedy methinks:rolleyes:

Good point though, the format has changed recently, wonder why.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Didn't really like them on FM104, but I like them on 2FM. I only listen to the first hour though while I'm getting ready to go to work.

Gotta say I've been enjoying the show a lot more since Paddy has been sitting in for Colm. He and JimJim play off each other really well, I think,. Also enjoy the 6 out of 6 quiz they do. Some of the answers people give.... :rolleyes::D

Advertisement