Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yesterday's Game

Options
  • 02-03-2008 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

the result and the performance has not taken any of the gloss off what happened last Sunday. Obviously not happy about it but I'm not going to let it upset me.

The big picture for this club and it's players is very bright from what I have seen.

Most important thing now is winning the UEFA cup. The league games will take care of themselves. We'll probabally loose a few, win a few and draw a few of the last remaining games.

Next season it's all guns blazing for a Champions League place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

It could be that Ramos will use games like Birmingham where we are short to prove that certain players are simply not up to it and should be offloaded in the summer. Kaboul is not a reliable centre back. dawson can combine with King or Woodgate. Midfield without jenas is short. Bent? I thought he looked sharp against Slavia Prague. It might be that he comes good later in the season. I wouldn't write him off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

To be honest I have forgotten about the premier league this season. We have got the UEFA place for next season. I would love to see us winning the UEFA cup this season. I think that the players are slowly but very surely combining to make a very good team capable of challenging the big 4 and progressing in all competitions. However I would like to see the likes of Chimbonda and Kaboul shipping out. I especially want Chimbonda out. He is doing a Ghaly on it. I think that players like him hurt the team spirit rather than strengthen it. Also we really really need a new keeper. While Robbo is starting to get some form back, next season we really had to solidify at the back. And as we all know any defence starts with the keeper!

The signs are looking good but a few little tweeks still need to be made. But I am highly confident that Ramos has the insight and the ability to implement those changes!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Was away or the weekend and only got the results this afternoon. What happened against Birmingham - was Ramos resting some of his key players or were their players out injured..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

It certainly takes away from the Cup win in my eyes. 4-1 against Birmingham is a shocking result - would it have happened to any of the Big 4? No. Would Everton or Villa have capitulated like that? No. Not even after a big cup game against Chelsea.

Kaboul, Huddlestone, Bent...we can throw whatever names out there. In eleven against eleven, we should be taking Birmingham. End of.

We're let loose in 11th place. West Ham have conceded 8 goals in their last two games (admittedly against top 4 teams), and they're well ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

markesmith wrote: »
    It certainly takes away from the Cup win in my eyes. 4-1 against Birmingham is a shocking result - would it have happened to any of the Big 4? No. Would Everton or Villa have capitulated like that? No. Not even after a big cup game against Chelsea.

Kaboul, Huddlestone, Bent...we can throw whatever names out there. In eleven against eleven, we should be taking Birmingham. End of.

We're let loose in 11th place. West Ham have conceded 8 goals in their last two games (admittedly against top 4 teams), and they're well ahead of us.

I know what you mean however the really important game is tonight - micky mouse team started on Saturday. Tonight will be our strongest available team. Ramos has a plan (granted part of this plan was not to get pissed on by Brum) and I have faith in him to deliver. I can accept Saturday's sham if we do a good job on PSV tonight. To be honest I accepted it on Saturday as I'm still so happy about the cup final.

It could also be argued that the remaining league fixtures may be used to experiment with different players and systems now that the UEFA cup place is secured for next season. The pressure is completely off in the league.

Next season however is a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

The pressure is completely off in the league.

Dublin Spur, I agree wholeheartedly with you that the PSV game is really important. But we're only 4 points ahead of Newcastle, who are in the midst of a much-debated 'relegation battle'.

And as we haven't got the requisite 40 points yet, is the pressure completely off?

I'd say 6 more points and it's definitely off. Our remaining fixtures - I'm basing this on our current form in the league:

- West Ham (h): should win or draw
    - Man City (a): should lose
    - Chelsea (h): should lose
    - Portsmouth (h): win or draw (Pompey's away form is good)
    - Newcastle (h): should win
    - Blackburn (a): should lose
    - Bolton (h): should win
    - Reading (a): probably lose (bad as Reading are)
    - Liverpool (h): draw or lose

That gives us (pessimistic) 6-13 points. Now BMJ should take some of the blame, and the mid-manager switch, etc. But we're not totally out of the mire yet.

That said, COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

markesmith wrote: »
    Dublin Spur, I agree wholeheartedly with you that the PSV game is really important. But we're only 4 points ahead of Newcastle, who are in the midst of a much-debated 'relegation battle'.

And as we haven't got the requisite 40 points yet, is the pressure completely off?

I'd say 6 more points and it's definitely off. Our remaining fixtures - I'm basing this on our current form in the league:

- West Ham (h): should win or draw
    - Man City (a): should lose
    - Chelsea (h): should lose
    - Portsmouth (h): win or draw (Pompey's away form is good)
    - Newcastle (h): should win
    - Blackburn (a): should lose
    - Bolton (h): should win
    - Reading (a): probably lose (bad as Reading are)
    - Liverpool (h): draw or lose

That gives us (pessimistic) 6-13 points. Now BMJ should take some of the blame, and the mid-manager switch, etc. But we're not totally out of the mire yet.

That said, COYS!

Fair enough mate.

5 losses from last 9 would be very poor and unacceptable from Spurs in my opinion. Can't see us folding like that. I would expect us to win all our home games (maybe not Chelsea) with a mixed bag of wins draws and defeats from the away games. For instance I reckon Wigan away is a nailed on win for us.

Obviously, time will tell on this one but we definately have enough on the field and in the dug-out to avoid a sticky end to the league IMO.

We're a club on the up !!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

forget the league we have 32 points with a match in hand , roy keane said on ssn to day 36-38 will do to stay up play danny rose on sunday

Advertisement