Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

design review

Options
  • 02-03-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I've been starting to use CSS alot more and i made this design as a sample
    http://www.davidstokes.com/temp/

can you let me know what you think,

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It's nice. But I don't really like the latest news on the left. There is a bit too much writing in a small font and space, plus it's not very easy to tell at a glance where each news story starts. I think you would be better off just going for the headlines, and not include the start \ summary of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i tried to fix the br tags but then i got more errors!

thanks for the feedback, i'll try it matrim and see how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just convert every <BR />, <br> and <BR> to <br /> if you are using xhtml.

Gordon wrote: »
    Just convert every <BR />, <br> and <BR> to <br /> if you are using xhtml.
    Yep - case sensitive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You should maybe display the links as blocks with a change in background colour on hover. I think it would make the navigation menu look and feel better when using it.

Whats even better is make the menu items into an unordered list
    <ul>
    <li>List Item 1</li>
    <li>List Item 2</li>
    </ul>

and then style the list into the way you want the menu to look on the page.

Your news pieces are getting h1 tags when they probably (depending on what you want to highlight) are only side bits of news. I would presume something else on the page would be more important to hightlight. Plus from what I know, you should really only have one h1 tag on the page (plus possibly the name of the website/company wrapped in a h1 tag) but someone correct me if I am wrong.

Well done though. A nice and clean design.

axer wrote:
    you should really only have one h1 tag on the page (plus possibly the name of the website/company wrapped in a h1 tag) but someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yes search engines love it apparently but someone correct me too here if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i dont totally understand the H1 tag to be honest. I will go read up on it.

thanks for all the feedback

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Your still learning and improving, so its a good enough design. Pretty basic and simple, nothing fancy. The image on the footer is far to big and should be reduced in size significantly. I'm not to fond of the colours, but the picture colours are very off putting.

Perhaps you should be offering templates rather then web design considering you are still learning? Your portfolio shows some pretty basic stuff, you post a lot of questions and your latest advert makes you out to be chap with a lot of free time who does very basic websites at very cheap prices.

I would start of learning, putting together some basic stuff for local clubs and bands, doing templates, asking here for advise etc. until such a stage your actually ready for the Web Design services..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Nice, plain and simple.
    Do a "find & replace" search on the page to get the <BR> changed to <br />
    Because you are using doctype xhtml, all tags must be in lowercase and ending with "/>"

In SEO H1 tag is very important and shouldn't be your company name but the "page header" and best to match the page title and related to the content itself, as close to the top of the page.

You can have more than one h1 tag if there is more than one article on the page otherwise use the other H2-6 tags....

• Advertisement
Advertisement