Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuitable Taxis

Options
  • 02-03-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Came across a Fiat Panda being used as a taxi in Italy this week with three large men squashed into the back seats. It was a three door as well.

Got me thinking about what are the most unsuitable cars being used as taxis in Ireland.

Saw a Subaru Outback taxi in Dublin the other week. Just think of the fuel bills on that!

What else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Daewoo Matiz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've seen an Accord Type R, a Lexus RX300, and an Izuzu Trooper in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They should allow single cab pick ups with benches in the back. :) It'd be like bing in the army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

What about the 3 door Punto that was stopped on Dawson Street in Dublin last year with the hand drawn taxi sign on the roof :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

KTRIC wrote: »
    What about the 3 door Punto that was stopped on Dawson Street in Dublin last year with the hand drawn taxi sign on the roof :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUosET-5kvs&NR=1

New laws are coming into force the end of this year. has to be a certain wheel base and model.

Toyota and Skoda are going to have a good year anyway!

I know someone who is using a 08 Merc S320 CDi, most of his work is limo work but still.

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

There's a couple of Chrysler 300Cs in use near where I live. Nice taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

KTRIC wrote: »

That was for a hidden TV camera show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Tata NANO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Renaults and Hyundai's....

what's wrong with Hyundais, they'd outlast most European cars, and the Sonata is available in auto with a diesel engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Got a lift in that Accord Type R, sound enough bloke and seemed to know his motors. Seen a few 06/07 5 Series around and there was a 01 320d on the Malahide Rd. on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I know someone who is using a 08 Merc S320 CDi, most of his work is limo work but still.

-VB-

You can only claim capital allowances on the first €25,000 of a diesel car for ordinary businesses.

I'm guessing the same rules apply for taxis or are these cars classed as commercial vehicles for taxi usage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Opel Antara. I remember seeing a Rolls Royce Silver Spirit being used as a taxi in Dublin about 20 years ago.

is that a Mazda2 in your sig G?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

A Fiat Sedici in Stillorgan last Saturday night!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Niall1234 wrote: »
    You can only claim capital allowances on the first €25,000 of a diesel car for ordinary businesses.

I'm guessing the same rules apply for taxis or are these cars classed as commercial vehicles for taxi usage ?
    For new cars in the Taxi business you write off the value of the car against tax over a 3 year period. 40%,40%,20%.

Also seeing a few Lexus LS400 knocking around unless they've thrown a Nissan 2.7 Diesel in there i dont know how they are making money!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a Honda HR-V taxi doing the rounds in my area. Also seen a Subaru Impreza, Toyota Prius, Honda Legend, Lexus LS400 and numerous MB S Class.

A neighbour of my parents used to drive a Lada Riva estate as a taxi many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah I've seen that HR-V around Limerick too - really don't get that (not like the car appealed to anyone in the first place). Wonder if that 1990 Carina II is still in service?

Yeah I've seen that HR-V around Limerick too - really don't get that (not like the car appealed to anyone in the first place). Wonder if that 1990 Carina II is still in service?

I see on a regular basis a
    '88 Carina
    '89 Merc 420SEL
    '88 Corolla Sprinter
    '87 Merc E300

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Saw a Mercedes W123 estate used as a taxi recently, with pre-'87 reg. plates and all.

Also saw a LHD Citroen Picasso taxi here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Max_Damage wrote: »

Also saw a LHD Citroen Picasso taxi here too.

Of all the things I would have thought one of the basic taxi requirements was RHD.

See a few MPV's around Dublin ,couple of Scenics and Picassos mainly, and a Pajero or somesuch. It really shoudl be limited to Saloons and Van derivitives for th ewheelchair accessable/9 seaters etc as well as the upcoming age limit on the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Also seeing a few Lexus LS400 knocking around unless they've thrown a Nissan 2.7 Diesel in there i dont know how they are making money!

You're showing your age there :)

Back in the early-mid 90s many taxis were old 80s Merc S-class cars that had been converted to Nissan 2.8 diesel engines. They all rattled like bejaysis, but at least you felt safe and you could stretch your legs a bit

Ireland must be unique in the western world in that little ****ty old cars are allowed as taxis. Even in much poorer countries a Mercedes E-class is the norm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

For the people that complain that we have so-called 'shítty taxis', here's Cameroon's finest:

f_untitledm_1ec545d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've seen a Peugeot 206 as a taxi, which is as bad as it gets. I'm fairly sure I've seen some others in the same class as well.

I've seen an Alfa 156 as well, and the driver had to put illuminous stickers on the rear door handles with arrows pointing to them. I love the cars, but they're not the roomiest in the back or the boot.

I don't agree with a taxi having to be n many years young - the wheelbase limit VolvoBoy mentioned sounds much better. I'd much prefer a lift in a 10 year old LS400 than a new little hatchback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

there's apparently a maserati registered as a taxi. Yer man only has it in order to use the bus lanes though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

jdivision wrote: »
    there's apparently a maserati registered as a taxi. Yer man only has it in order to use the bus lanes though
    I think Michael O'Leary did the same, but it was a big tank of a Merc from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

eoin_s wrote: »
    I'd much prefer a lift in a 10 year old LS400 than a new little hatchback.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. A few weeks ago I was in a late 90s Mercedes E-class taxi (in the Canaries) with nearly a million kilometers on it. Not even a rattle on it. It was the basic "Classic" model with a manual 6 speed transmission, but it was so much better than being in an Avensis / Corolla or whatever ****ty cars we get here as taxis and I don't even want to mention those vans / people carriers you see here more often these days. Whenever one of those is allocated to me at Dublin Airport, I say "no thank you" and move on towards the next one in the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In the same week I was in a Pug 206 hackney, Pug 406 taxi (falling to bits) and some E-type Merc that used to be an ambassadors car (and felt like) taxi... some range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

couple of skodas down theroad aswell as a 2.4 vtec accord... not very suitable forthe task but a nice car alll the same...

was ina mondeo which looked like a branc car except forthe alloys... :rolleyes:

Advertisement