Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT, tax & VRC confusion, please help!

Options
  • 02-03-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Right, I've let a few things slip on my car and now I'm trying to put things to rights! I just don't know what way I need to go about doing this.

First of all my Vehicle Registration Certificate is still for my old address - I moved about 6 months ago and completely forgot to get this updated.

Secondly, my NCT was up 4 months ago and I never got this sorted, so I really want this sorted too!

Thirdly, my motor tax just expired at the end of February, so I need to get this renewed.

My insurance is fine for the next few months (that's something at least!)

So my question is - what's the best order to to sort this out? Do I need my VRC to get taxed and my NCT? Do I need my motor tax to get my NCT? I just not sure what way to go about all this.

And yes I know - shame on me for letting things slip! :o At least I wanna sort it out now.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

BM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You can tax it online, but I assume the renewal letter would be still at your old adress if you havnt had your post forwarded. While your on, jump to the NCT site and book an nct (or try ringing in the morning for a cancellation if you want it asap). The NCT say you need the VLC with you but I've never been asked for it. Then you can send it off to change the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

boogie man wrote: »
    My insurance is fine for the next few months (that's something at least!)

Technically if you dont have a valid NCT cert then you may be be insured. If your in an accident then they right to refuse to pay out for any repairs or claims. If i was you i would tax the car online today and book a NCT tomorrow morning.

Just pray the cops dont stop you, that will could be a few points on the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Thanks for the replies!

I can't renew my tax online as I never got that letter with the pin number, because my VLC has my old address on it!

So should I straight away apply for the next available NCT, then while waiting for that sort my tax and send off my VLC to be updated? Does that make sense?

Can I get my motortax done through the post? What do I need for this? Do I need my VLC to get my motor tax?

BM

Okay so - I've booked my NCT for the 13th of March. Now should I send off the VLC to get the address changed? They do ask to bring it along with you - will this be a big deal if I don't have it? Stekelly, I know you said you've never been asked for it, but might they tell me to come back another time if they get picky about it? And do I need my VLC to get my motor tax?

Thanks, BM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You will find a few sticklers in the NCT centres that look for the VLC. Did you book it in under your old address? If you did don't send off the VLC until after the test.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You will find a few sticklers in the NCT centres that look for the VLC. Did you book it in under your old address? If you did don't send off the VLC until after the test.

Actually - as far as I know the NCT site didn't even ask for my address when I was booking it. Anyway I won't send it off until I get it the NCT. But do I need my VLC for getting my motor tax?

Cheers, BM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But do I need my VLC for getting my motor tax?
    Nope. You just need to send the tax form off with the money.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Nope. You just need to send the tax form off with the money.

Sweet, thanks. I'll get on that today so! ;)

Advertisement