Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Politics and International Relations

• 02-03-2008 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Has anyone done this? Do you think it's good? Is it so diluted that you don't learn much in any of the fields? What Careers can it lead to? Also, as I want to get involved in the SU does it have a class rep?

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

its a joke of a course at the moment. I do history and politics through arts and have a friend doing the aforementioned course. There has been no mention of the international relations portion of the course and she is 1/4 of the way through her degree.

We are in all the same classes and will be for the rest of the degree.

The differences:

1.) Arts 350 - his pol int relations 490 or something

2.) When were finished the degree ill have BA Hist Pol - hers will be BA Hist Pol Int Relations

My advice is dont bother killing yourself to get the 490 points! Its the exact same as history and politics in arts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

its a joke of a course at the moment. I do history and politics through arts and have a friend doing the aforementioned course. There has been no mention of the international relations portion of the course and she is 1/4 of the way through her degree.

We are in all the same classes and will be for the rest of the degree.

The differences:

1.) Arts 350 - his pol int relations 490 or something

2.) When were finished the degree ill have BA Hist Pol - hers will be BA Hist Pol Int Relations

My advice is dont bother killing yourself to get the 490 points! Its the exact same as history and politics in arts!

Yeah, as far as I can tell its the same as an Arts omnibus entry, except your courses are chosen for you and you get a differently named degree at the end of it. If you get the points for History, Politics and IR I would say go for it, but its much of a muchness between that and Arts.

I'd say that there's so many people doing History and Politics that you'll get a fairly wide range of opinions of them. I really enjoy both courses, but that's just my opinion.

Both History and Politics have class reps, so you'll be fine there (they're the same as the ones under the 'History, Politics & IR' course as far as I know).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

id say they are the same reps as there is only 10-15 ppl in hist pol + ir whereas god only knows how many there are in the omnibus version!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ohter advantage to denominated courses (at least in science[afaik]) as that you're guaranteed your place in what you want, as long as you keep passing. Wheras non-denominated people don't always get the subjects they want, if there;s competition for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vale

Thanks for all the information. Anyone else?

Also what are the French and Irish arts courses like?

• Advertisement
Advertisement