Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone launch

• 27-06-2007 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Does anyone know if and when the apple iphone is coming to Ireland. Is there a network in mind?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

End of the Year start of Next year.

Google are looking for one network for all of Europe not individual for each country. Vodafone were the early rumours to get it but nothing has been confirmed. that last i seen was some other network gettign it that dont operate in Ireland so it might be even longer before we get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Can someone please put up a sticky to stop opening duplicate threads? There's like a million iPod threads now, several threads about the P1, etc.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

coluter wrote:
    Does anyone know if and when the apple iphone is coming to Ireland. Is there a network in mind?
    Apple said late autumn for europe. At the moment it's looking likely that vodafone will be carrying it, in fact today there was more news on that:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/27/credit-suisse-vodafone-likely-to-carry-3g-iphone-in-europe/
    Also it is very likely that the iphone coming to europe will have 3g as there is no way europeans will pay the equivalent of $600 for slower than dial-up speeds(2.5g) on their phones.
    The iphone is ridiculously expensive for it's very basic feature list (especially when you compare it to the nokia n95). Remember it's $600 WITH a 2 year bill pay contract. Before I saw some of the hands on videos of the iPhone I was very pessimistic about it- just didn't impress me enough especially when you consider it's price, however the latest reviews and videos of it have really gotten me interested. It has a great UI and with wifi on it's browser rocks and it's simply beautiful and slick it makes you wonder why no other phone maker has ever thought of making anything as good. However, even if the current generation of iphone comes to europe with 3g i wont be even thinking about buying it mainly because:
    1)it's way too expensive
    2)it lacks basic features like not being able to record video
    3)you cant cut and copy text
    4)you cant change from the few default ringtones
    5)no mms
    6)no A2DP support
    7)non replaceable battery
    8)the battery breaks down permanently after 300 charges (confirmed by apple!) which means that if you end up charging it everyday it will break in less than a year! and then you will have to pay a fee to send it to apple to get fixed. Even then you're locked into having the iphone as you are stuck in a 2 year contract
    9)no voice dialing

There are other downsides too but if apple keep making phones that have all the pluses of this model (stunning UI and very easy to use) in their future models while improving the features (like adding gps and a higher mp camera) then I will consider buying one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rc28 wrote:
    1)it's way too expensive
    2)it lacks basic features like not being able to record video
    3)you cant cut and copy text
    4)you cant change from the few default ringtones
    5)no mms
    6)no A2DP support
    7)non replaceable battery
    8)the battery breaks down permanently after 300 charges (confirmed by apple!) which means that if you end up charging it everyday it will break in less than a year! and then you will have to pay a fee to send it to apple to get fixed. Even then you're locked into having the iphone as you are stuck in a 2 year contract
    9)no voice dialing

There are other downsides too but if apple keep making phones that have all the pluses of this model (stunning UI and very easy to use) in their future models while improving the features (like adding gps and a higher mp camera) then I will consider buying one.

What? That's rediculous. If this is true I can't see why anyone would want one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

rc28 wrote:
    8)the battery breaks down permanently after 300 charges (confirmed by apple!) which means that if you end up charging it everyday it will break in less than a year! and then you will have to pay a fee to send it to apple to get fixed. .
    Have you a source for that.

EDIT: just googled and I think you are confusing "charge" with the full charge/discharge cycle, which roughly means letting the phone lose all charge, fully charging it, letting it lose all charge etc. "Top up" charging, which is typical charging, does not count in this cycle so you are not correct to surmise that the iPhone will have a dead battery in 300 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Can someone please put up a sticky to stop opening duplicate threads? There's like a million iPod threads now, several threads about the P1, etc.. :D
    Second that.. need some consolidation, put all the iphone love, links, dates in one appley lookin' thread.. not it! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

rc28 wrote:
    8)the battery breaks down permanently after 300 charges (confirmed by apple!) which means that if you end up charging it everyday it will break in less than a year!
    Where did you read this?

I got that right here:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/26/iphone-facts-from-the-first-reviews/
    It's under the "more after the break" section.
    If you read it says "charges".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The battery is replaceable (confirmed), the same way the iPod battery is replaceable: you can either buy a replacement kit from the likes of fastmac.com for about €30 including the tools (little plastic clip) to replace it yourself, or send it in to Apple to have it replaced.

It isn't like they're selling you a phone with a non-replaceable battery.

The battery does not break down after 300 charges. However as with all rechargeable batteries its starts to degenerating. Meaning it will not hold its charge as long as it did before. This problem gets worse over time.

This happens with all recharable batteries the difference with apple is that you have to get them to replace the battery which they charge a fee for, however the fee is prob only going to be slightly more than what it would cost to buy a new battery. Get over it.

The iPhone will evolve and be upgraded before the european release we will not be getting the same model as the US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i'm going to sticky this - at least it will save 4000000000000000 more threads

As i said above anyway, he's got it wrong - it doesn't last just 300 charges.

The battery is replaceable (confirmed), the same way the iPod battery is replaceable: you can either buy a replacement kit from the likes of fastmac.com for about €30 including the tools (little plastic clip) to replace it yourself, or send it in to Apple to have it replaced.

It isn't like they're selling you a phone with a non-replaceable battery.
    So you approve of having to pay an extra fee to send it to apple to replace the battery?? Wtf other phone maker makes you do this? I know of no other phone that doesn't have an accessible battery you can take out. Oh and do you really think the average consumer is going to open up their iphone(potentially voiding their warranty) and manually put in a new battery? It's simply ridiculous and is obviously apple trying to squeeze as much $$ out of the suckers who fall for this overpriced, overhyped fashion accessory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

It's a piece of ****ing ****. If I see anyone using it, I will smash it good!!!

Lol! It is a nice looking phone with a great UI but ultimately it is definitely an overpriced piece of s***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Strawberries07

I read it is retailing in the US for $1000!! Duno if thats correct but if vodafone get that deal it'll be double that robbing B**tards! Still 4GB, That'll do me for storage!! Now just gotta get the cash!!

rc28 wrote:
    ...It's simply ridiculous and is obviously apple trying to squeeze as much $$ out of the suckers who fall for this overpriced, overhyped fashion accessory.
    No it's not. FFS, get a grip - why is the iPhone the smallest form factor of phones with that feature set (same as why is the iPod so neat)? It's the built in battery that allows them get the small form factor - it's an engineering decision, not a "how can we screw customers" decision.

And isn't it odd how you managed to avoid quoting this piece of information when misconstruing the data on battery life:

"Battery life is, somehow, almost as mind-blowingly good as Apple claims for calls, music, and movies."

:rolleyes:

art wrote:
    No it's not. FFS, get a grip - why is the iPhone the smallest form factor of phones with that feature set (same as why is the iPod so neat)? It's the built in battery that allows them get the small form factor - it's an engineering decision, not a "how can we screw customers" decision. :rolleyes:
    Umm if anything it's a looks thing (knowing apple). They probably dont want a slight crack(to open it) down the back of it's sleek casing as it would destroy it's oh so beautiful "form factor". I'm not sure about your point about the engineering thing, it doesn't really make sense- for example, a couple of years ago I had a creative zen micro 5gb with radio and all the other little extras creative zens have, meanwhile you had the ipod mini which was in direct competition with it- this didn't have a removeable battery, nor did it have a radio, it had a smaller hd (4gb), it was bigger and it cost more! It is simply easier for apple to charge more for repelacing the battery as the consumer cant do it themselves, and dont give me that BS about an "engineering" issue, steve jobs will make his fanboys believe anything! Take a look at this video in which a customer is asked to pay $255 to replace the battery all because the battery is internal!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK3uUfMWy6I

art wrote:

"Battery life is, somehow, almost as mind-blowingly good as Apple claims for calls, music, and movies."

:rolleyes:
    If you are paying $600 for a phone, you'd better expect it to be good!! Btw when 3g is put into it those figures will diminish a lot.

MiCr0 wrote:
    i'm going to sticky this - at least it will save 4000000000000000 more threads

Hurrah! now could you sticky an "I hate iphone" thread.. over to the darkside with these comments! where is the love for the ipawn? Facts not wild unabandoned speculation people.

A few simple links to begin:

Official Link:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Wiki Entry:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

Engadget Article:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/

Technorati Tag/Root:

http://technorati.com/tag/iPhone

You Tube:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=iphone&search=

Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/iphone/clusters/

Google Images:
    http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=captaincaveman&q=iphone

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote:
    Umm if anything it's a looks thing (knowing apple).

...blah blah blah nice looking things cannot be good things etc etc...

You're off on an anti-Apple rant, don't know why people take it so personal that Apple makes products that are good looking and some people want to buy but there you go. And yes, of course it's a looks thing - making it smaller makes it look better. Taking away battery access compartments also improves the build quality. Which makes it look better. These are engineering decisions based on a target market. They could have put a battery compartment in it but it would have then been bulkier and lose one of it's selling points. You are obviously not the target market so why get so worked up about it and start posting mis-leading information about battery life and so on?

(and ps - I've no intention of buying one myself. However, I don't feel threatened by having more choices in the market)

Nobody is going to pay the money if they are only going to use it as a phone. The idea is that it will replace your phone and iPod as well as giving you access to all the other features. Now I knowalot of people who carry around a $200 phone and a nano ($200 for 4GB and 8GB for $249 Thats $400 or $ already in your pockets 450

That means you are paying an extra $100, or extra $150 for what you already have plus all the extras, like video, email, maps, great UI etc....

three erm *interesting* links.....will it ever end :-)

iphone v's Nokia N95

1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwrE5UCUf7s
    2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Q5QuhQzIE
    3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNgTsq8l08

art wrote:
    You're off on an anti-Apple rant, don't know why people take it so personal that Apple makes products that are good looking and some people want to buy but there you go. And yes, of course it's a looks thing - making it smaller makes it look better. Taking away battery access compartments also improves the build quality. Which makes it look better. These are engineering decisions based on a target market. They could have put a battery compartment in it but it would have then been bulkier and lose one of it's selling points. You are obviously not the target market so why get so worked up about it and start posting mis-leading information about battery life and so on?

(and ps - I've no intention of buying one myself. However, I don't feel threatened by having more choices in the market)
    Omg, ok we've obviously got our wires crossed. And I don't appreciate you editing my original comment. What you said is simply not true. I never said that anything good looking cannot function, my brother has a mac book pro, it looks beautiful and it rocks. in fact i have decided that my next computer is going to be a mac, this also shows that I'm not all anti apple as you claimed I was being. What I have a problem with is people sucking up apples marketing BS, I mean it is unbelievably expensive for a bill pay phone without an impressive feature list, especially when you compare it to much cheaper nokia n-series phones. There is no doubting that it is still a very cool phone (I love the slick yet simple UI- very apple) but just a very hyped and expensive one.

I am not "threatened" by the iPhone, in fact I welcome it. Such an exciting device is bound to really worry all other phone manufacturers and push competition and thus innovation and technology improvements. Its going to be good for the consumer phone market in the long run:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

:D
    no cut and paste? wtf.
    the reality distortion field better be working.

rc28 wrote:
    Omg, ok we've obviously got our wires crossed. And I don't appreciate you editing my original comment. What you said is simply not true. I never said that anything good looking cannot function, my brother has a mac book pro, it looks beautiful and it rocks. in fact i have decided that my next computer is going to be a mac, this also shows that I'm not all anti apple as you claimed I was being. What I have a problem with is people sucking up apples marketing BS, I mean it is unbelievably expensive for a bill pay phone without an impressive feature list, especially when you compare it to much cheaper nokia n-series phones. There is no doubting that it is still a very cool phone (I love the slick yet simple UI- very apple) but just a very hyped and expensive one.

I am not "threatened" by the iPhone, in fact I welcome it. Such an exciting device is bound to really worry all other phone manufacturers and push competition and thus innovation and technology improvements. Its going to be good for the consumer phone market in the long run:)

Alright, I apologise. Maybe I was picking you up wrong but you did go on to call it "a piece of ****" which I think is pretty much out of order for something that hasn't any chance yet to prove itself. That sounds like a "fanboy" level of comment to me.

Anyhow, the N95 is approx 790 euros sim free. I've forgotten the projected price point for the iPhone but it is cheaper than that ($500 in the US will probably translate to 600 euros no doubt). I know the N95 has gps but you cannot say N series phones are "much cheaper". It's also got a seriously innovative UI which you can't simply dismiss as being a "free" aspect to the device - what people traditionally pay extra for with Apple devices is the ease of use and that will be a big sell point for the iPhone.

To learn more about the iphone's cost, see here:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/26/how-does-the-iphone-stack-up-in-total-cost/
    Oh and btw the nokia n95 IS very cheap compared to the iphone when you compare the both of them on contract:
    $600 for iphone and in the UK the n95 is only £89 and even free with a higher contract:
    https://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/Nokia/N95
    Also, you say the n95 sim free is 790euro but this simply isn't true either, it is 679euro-http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/541256/art/nokia/n95-in-plum.htmlbut god knows how much the iphone would go for if it was sim free (1000+?)

rc28 wrote:
    To learn more about the iphone's cost, see here:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/26/how-does-the-iphone-stack-up-in-total-cost/
    Oh and btw the nokia n95 IS very cheap compared to the iphone when you compare the both of them on contract:
    $600 for iphone and in the UK the n95 is only £89 and even free with a higher contract:
    https://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/Nokia/N95
    Also, you say the n95 sim free is 790euro but this simply isn't true either, it is 679euro-http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/541256/art/nokia/n95-in-plum.htmlbut god knows how much the iphone would go for if it was sim free (1000+?)
    The iPhone is unsubsidised so comparing the subsidised price of the N95 with the unsubsidised price of the iPhone is wrong. Simfree the iPhone should cost still cost around the same amount. The 790 euros price for the N95 is the one quoted by 02 for a simfree model. It was also the price on expansys last I looked. The only accurate way to compare prices for models is to look at the simfree cost - contract offers in the UK, for example, are far far more attractive than contract offers in Ireland, there's simply no comparison.

(ps. your link to the iPhone's cost on AT&T phone plans is pretty pointless here, irrespective of the fact it actually concludes that the iPhone is acceptable value overall.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

The N95 can be got sim free for about 450 - 500 euro in Malaysia inc VAT. The Nokias unsubsidised RRP was 550 Euro. So that was giving retailers massive buffer for varying VAT rates... Its only that retailers know that people will pay more... much more. I tried one in Malaysia and thought it was nice, but will wait to see if 3G iPhone is any good before I decide what to get next.

• Advertisement

art wrote:
    The iPhone is unsubsidised so comparing the subsidised price of the N95 with the unsubsidised price of the iPhone is wrong. Simfree the iPhone should cost still cost around the same amount. The 790 euros price for the N95 is the one quoted by 02 for a simfree model. It was also the price on expansys last I looked. The only accurate way to compare prices for models is to look at the simfree cost - contract offers in the UK, for example, are far far more attractive than contract offers in Ireland, there's simply no comparison.

(ps. your link to the iPhone's cost on AT&T phone plans is pretty pointless here, irrespective of the fact it actually concludes that the iPhone is acceptable value overall.)
    You are beating around the bush and it's getting pathetic now. The fact is the n95 is 679euro sim free right now in ireland while the iPhone is $600 on 2 year contract on BILL PAY which means hefty monthly installments.
    Also as guiguy said above the n95 can be got for much cheaper (450) but retailers know they can milk this because of the n95 amazing feature list which is unmatched by any other manufacturer, especially not the iPhone.

Advertisement