Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone launch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Apple have never siad the iPhone is going to do things other phones cant.
    You must've missed Steve Jobs' keynote speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

dal wrote:
    You must've missed Steve Job's keynote speech.

I must have what did he say they will be doing that other phones can't

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Call_me_al wrote:
    never said anything about the competition - i said stiffing the american market - imagine you uy an iphone today for 600 dollars and then 5 months down the line its available with 3g, you;d be pretty pissed.

Sorry - my bad re:competition, meant to say American market (not sure how I typed competition!!!).

I think it's fair to point out that 3G isn't as big in the US as it is in the EU (where it's pretty much a standard now). I do see you're point, though, but it wouldn't be the first time apple released a better version just months after releasing another... IIRC I bought an iPod colour, which was a bit dearer than the then standard monochrome iPod... a few months later they standarised the range making all models colour and the price of the standard model didn't go up. My fault for being an early adopter!)
    they already have the supply for the american market now they will start producing another 5m 2nd gen units for europe for launch in q4, well quanta will!

Well, yeah... I don't see how it will be too big a deal as they'll just need a steady stream for the US while they slowly build up a bulk supply for the EU launch. I imagine they could even ramp up production some more if they needed to.
    art wrote:
    There's no phone on the market that can play tracks downloaded from the iTunes store, for a start.

*cough* ROKR and SLVR *cough*

But don't pay attention to Steve Jobs - his speech launching the Mighty Mouse made it seem like Apple was revolutionising the industry with the launch of a two-button mouse.

From what I can see the phone is offering standard enough features but with a very, very intuitive and sophisticated interface. That's what iPod does, anyway, and it works.
    Call_me_al wrote:
    apparently speeds are up to 200kbps at the moment which would really be a great boost considering the reviewers were experiencing dial up speeds.

but once 3-7m people start loggin on thhe network could drop back to those rates depending on contention rates which i presume wont be great.

I'm a little skeptical of the boost too - will have to wait and see if it lasts longer than the immediate future or if it's just to keep all the customers/bloggers from moaning online and creating some bad press across the net.

Wouldn't it be interesting if it dropped back down in 30 day's time - just after the time limit for canceling a new mobile contract passes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Apple have never siad the iPhone is going to do things other phones cant. What they have said is that are going to make it alot more easier to use and improve on all the features using there UI. I have no experience of the SEW810i but I doubt its browser stands up to the version of safari on the iPhone, can it play videos downloaded from your computer? Does it have the visual voicemail? Is it backed up with a never ending list of accessories? Is it ever evolving due to firmware upgrades every month? I doubt it does many of these things. How does it support your email and attachments?

Nope, can't do those things. But if I wanted that stuff I'd get a Blackberry or a PDA or some such. I've no doubt the iPhone will do all that, and do it well. However, my point was that the phone is primarily going to be marketed to and bought by Apple fanatics who think that a phone and ipod combined is a terrific idea, and if this is what they want and primarily use it for they are going to be fleeced.

I'm sure the user interface will be great, as is the LG Prada one, but sometimes its nice just to put your hand in your pocket and turn up the volume or skip to the next track by just feeling for the hard buttons on the side. Just on a practical level!

It doesn't even have a radio on it, how basic a requirement is that for the vast majority of people??? :)

mollser wrote:
    Nope, can't do those things. But if I wanted that stuff I'd get a Blackberry or a PDA or some such. I've no doubt the iPhone will do all that, and do it well.
    I guess we will see how happy people are with there blackberrys and PDAs. At a guess I'll predict not that happy and we will see a bigger shift over. Plus the iPhone is marketed more at consumers, while the Blackberry has always targeted business customers.
    mollser wrote:
    I'm sure the user interface will be great, as is the LG Prada one, but sometimes its nice just to put your hand in your pocket and turn up the volume or skip to the next track by just feeling for the hard buttons on the side. Just on a practical level!

The iPhone has a volume control button on the side of it, you can skip to the next track by double squeezing on a button on the headphones cable, plus pause and play the current track, as well as answer or hang up a call. So there is your practicalities.
    mollser wrote:
    It doesn't even have a radio on it, how basic a requirement is that for the vast majority of people??? :)

No iPod has come with a radio and they have sold millions so obviously not that big a deal.

• Advertisement

art wrote:
    There's no phone on the market that can play tracks downloaded from the iTunes store, for a start. There's no phone on the market running a complete OSX - where that will lead is hard to determine yet til we know how Apple will approach opening the iPhone to external development. There's no phone with the iPhone GUI. There's very few phones with the feature set and battery life Apple are claiming for the iPhone: eight hours talk time is substantial for that class of phone, 24 hours audio playback is not to be sniffed at either.

More monopoly driven crap from Apple, if they played fair in any way that wouldn't be a problem. Can it play WMA files? Lossless?? No.

Battery life claims are not dissimilar to most other phones that play music, although the reality is often much different, time will tell!

External development? Apple? Whatever. Is it not completely closed to only running Apple software currently?

Its amazing how when Apple create a monopoly position they are lauded upon by their fanatics who lap it up!!

Apple are not going to open up the iPhone to development due to security fears ya can say thats crap if ya want. They are supporting third party applications through safari. My guess in the future is that they will allow third party programs on to the iPhone through iTunes the same way they do with there games for the iPod.

No iPod has come with a radio and they have sold millions so obviously not that big a deal.
    It's the only reason I bought a creative vision:m instead of an ipod but I am sure Apple fans like Apple more than they like radio.
    Radio is not a revenue generator for Apple so they don't include it.
    Apple are not going to open up the iPhone to development due to security fears ya can say thats crap if ya want.
    That's crap. It never stopped Sony ericsson, nokia, samsung, motorola from including java support on their phones.

My guess is they are waiting to see how they can make the most money out of 3rd party apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

mollser wrote:
    More monopoly driven crap from Apple, if they played fair in any way that wouldn't be a problem. Can it play WMA files? Lossless?? No.

Battery life claims are not dissimilar to most other phones that play music, although the reality is often much different, time will tell!

External development? Apple? Whatever. Is it not completely closed to only running Apple software currently?

Its amazing how when Apple create a monopoly position they are lauded upon by their fanatics who lap it up!!

What's this business of an Apple monopoly about? Not in the mobile market, not in the mp3 market, not in the OS market... no idea what you are referring to there. And "if they played fair"? Lost me. Though I think offering DRM free downloads as they do now is pretty fair to me - assuming you are referring to iTunes.

And what other phones are you referring to re the battery life? Most PDA-phones have a talk time around the 4 hour mark. The N95 has a talk time between 3 to 4 hours (depending on service, claimed by Nokia themselves). I think eight hours talk time is considerably higher than that?

mollser wrote:
    Nope, can't do those things. But if I wanted that stuff I'd get a Blackberry or a PDA or some such. I've no doubt the iPhone will do all that, and do it well. However, my point was that the phone is primarily going to be marketed to and bought by Apple fanatics who think that a phone and ipod combined is a terrific idea, and if this is what they want and primarily use it for they are going to be fleeced.
    Why are people who want a phone and iPod together going to be fleeced? It will work as a phone and iPod so what's the problem?
    I also think this crosses boundaries, it will work as a phone, an iPod, and a PDA - it's going to attract a wide market range segment, not just iPod owners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

so how mucha re people in america paying today for one of these phones? like what is the price per month and what is the preice then that u pay for the phone?

tabatha wrote:
    so how mucha re people in america paying today for one of these phones? like what is the price per month and what is the preice then that u pay for the phone?
    $500 I think for the 4GB model and $600 for the 8GB. Price place for AT&T is a bit confusing as there is apparently 44 different options but there's a "PDA plan" that is 30$ a month and 200 SMS messages adds another $5. Monthly costs won't be very comparable to here though, very different market.

art wrote:
    Price place for AT&T is a bit confusing as there is apparently 44 different options but there's a "PDA plan" that is 30$ a month and 200 SMS messages adds another $5.
    That's incorrect. The cheapest is $59.99 for the iphone.
    Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

In an interview Steve Jobs has said that the reason they didn't go with 3G was down to battery life and size So I cant seen a Euro version of the iphone coming out anytime soon.

dal wrote:
    It's the only reason I bought a creative vision:m instead of an ipod but I am sure Apple fans like Apple more than they like radio.
    Radio is not a revenue generator for Apple so they don't include it.

Excatly its the only reason YOU didn't buy an iPod, but sales obviously point to the fact your in the minority.
    dal wrote:
    That's crap. It never stopped Sony ericsson, nokia, samsung, motorola from including java support on their phones.

My guess is they are waiting to see how they can make the most money out of 3rd party apps.

All true. I didn't defend the lack of third party support I simple said that was apple reason for not supporting them at this moment. Plus many apps nowdays wouldn't work on the iPhone because of the interface, gonna be easier to develop for safari and let safari handle the interface changes. However if you watch over the coming months you will see how many third party apps will be ported so the iPhone can use them through safari. Apple developers cant wait to see what they can do with this thing. And yes I'm sure they will sell apps through iTunes, but so what not a big shock that ya have to pay for software is it.

Venom wrote:
    In an interview Steve Jobs has said that the reason they didn't go with 3G was down to battery life and size So I cant seen a Euro version of the iphone coming out anytime soon.

Well the euro version is coming at the end of the year, and since edge isn't that well supported in europe the will have to go with 3G, the networks will prob force them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

iPhone coming to Europe with 3G, here from The Register:
    Euro iPhone launch will reveal 3G handset for Vodafone, T-Mobile
    A new 3G (European) version of the iPhone will be launched Monday in the UK by Apple - in a joint promotion with Vodafone, T-Mobile of Germany, and Carphone Warehouse. It should answer the disappointment with the US version of the iPhone which has been widely slammed for its poor performance as a phone.

Hints of the European launch emerged yesterday when Bill Condie of the London Evening Standard tipped Vodafone to be the official carrier, which will be confirmed Monday. But Voda is just part of the picture, with Apple going for a three-pronged European strategy with carriers - again, responding to disappointment in America with the exclusive deal with AT&T/Cingular.

Shipment date is still unknown, but "on course" for the year-end date predicted last October by Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

Vodafone is currently in an ideal position to take on the iPhone, because its 3G network is hugely under-utilised. Pricing on mobile data is normally prohibitive, but Vodafone has recently revised its 3G data charges down, following "rip-off" complaints from users.

It may even be possible that European data prices will match, or be an improvement on the eye-watering charges announced by AT&T in North America.

The iPhone requires a high speed Internet connection to function properly, both because of its excellent Internet browsing capacity, and also because of its requirement for high quality video, which limits the appeal of the US version.

Writer Condie quoted sources inside Credit Suisse which suggested that France Telecom was in line for a franchise. That is unlikely to be fulfilled, possibly because of Orange's insistence on "strong branding" on any handset it carries. Orange has irritated several phone makers by insisting on disabling technical and user-oriented features which didn't sit with Orange commercial policy.

The appointment of Carphone Warehouse as a virtual network carrier will be a big surprise, however.

T-Mobile CEO Rene Oberman was reported to be "ecstatic" at getting a joint contract, according to insiders. He's expected to be present at the Apple party Monday when the new device is unveiled.

The American version, using only 2G phone technology, goes on sale today. Queues have been forming outside Apple (and other) retail outlets in New York since Tuesday this week.

dal wrote:
    That's incorrect. The cheapest is $59.99 for the iphone.
    Link
    Those rates include SMS messages - the one I referred to had no SMS messages on the account, it had to be added afterwards, so, as I said, there seems to be too many plans really to be clear if even Apple isn't quoting the cheapest options.

That's cool getting clarification about the 3G. Didn't really expect that myself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

@ that article on the Euro launch - what do they mean by three pronged when they only mention T-Mobile and Vodafone as carriers? I know it mentions Orange, but says that's also unlikely...

Fingers crossed for o2, I won't have to switch carrier if I pick it up then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I did not think people would acctually camp out for one. There are probably loads anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Looks don't matter it's what inside that counts....... But thats what ugly people say!

The iphone makes the n95 look ancient even though i'd agree n95 has better features (apart from battery life)

I think everyone should see this phone as something positive even if you dont want one it will cause a lot of competition which is always good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

From:http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,133609-c,iphone/article.html

How much is this going to cost me? Like they say, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. First, there's the $499 or $599 price for the iPhone (4GB and 8GB flash drive, respectively) with no subsidized discount, a shocker right off the bat to most cell phone shoppers. Then you have to add the minimum two-year contract with AT&T -- the least expensive unlimited data plan is $59.99 a month -- and the $36 for AT&T's activation. Figure another $12 a month in taxes on the service. Finally, if you subscribe to any wireless service other than AT&T (formerly Cingular Wireless), canceling your current account means paying an early termination fee. Verizon Communications Inc., for example, pins you with as much as $175 for bailing, while T-Mobile charges $200. Say you're exiting Verizon; the total two-year cost for an 8GB iPhone will be $2,538, plus sales tax, if any, on the iPhone. Subtract what you'd pay out over the next 24 months for your current calling plan. That's your rough out-of-pocket difference. The upside? You pocket an iPhone.

Doesn't bother these happy campers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6S3ALgchow

and for the photo curious: http://www.engadget.com/photos/iphone-first-hands-on-and-unboxing/

... and if you are desperate :-)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320132747744&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=190127537712&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget
    http://cgi.ebay.com/8GB-Apple-iPhone-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-ON-HAND-W-RECEIPT_W0QQitemZ190127537712QQihZ009QQcategoryZ64355QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

quintron wrote:
    From:http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,133609-c,iphone/article.html

How much is this going to cost me? Like they say, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. First, there's the $499 or $599 price for the iPhone (4GB and 8GB flash drive, respectively) with no subsidized discount, a shocker right off the bat to most cell phone shoppers. Then you have to add the minimum two-year contract with AT&T -- the least expensive unlimited data plan is $59.99 a month -- and the $36 for AT&T's activation. Figure another $12 a month in taxes on the service. Finally, if you subscribe to any wireless service other than AT&T (formerly Cingular Wireless), canceling your current account means paying an early termination fee. Verizon Communications Inc., for example, pins you with as much as $175 for bailing, while T-Mobile charges $200. Say you're exiting Verizon; the total two-year cost for an 8GB iPhone will be $2,538, plus sales tax, if any, on the iPhone. Subtract what you'd pay out over the next 24 months for your current calling plan. That's your rough out-of-pocket difference. The upside? You pocket an iPhone.

Doesn't bother these happy campers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6S3ALgchow

and for the photo curious: http://www.engadget.com/photos/iphone-first-hands-on-and-unboxing/

So, buy an iPhone for $500 or $600, immediately cancel your contract and total cost is either 675 or 775 per model. Which directly translates to 500/572 euros. Doesn't seem bad at all if that's they way it adds up. :)

Arathorn wrote:
    Looks don't matter it's what inside that counts....... But thats what ugly people say!

The iphone makes the n95 look ancient even though i'd agree n95 has better features (apart from battery life)

I think everyone should see this phone as something positive even if you dont want one it will cause a lot of competition which is always good.
    Yes I agree with your last sentence, whether you like it or not the iphone is the most hyped and anticipated consumer products ever (in the US anyway) and this will only be good for consumers. It will give the industry a big kick up the arse to innovate and bring out exciting devices to rival apple. Personally, I wont be buying the current gen of iPhone, even if it comes to europe with 3g, because
    1)It is simply too expensive
    2)It has left out basic features like video record function, copy and past text etc.
    3)It is a first gen device so buyers now are basically going to be beta testers for the next one.

There are some aspects of the iPhone that I really love (ui, simplicity etc) but at the moment I'm going to wait to see if they fix certain things stupidly missing from a phone that costs $600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

locked down to at&t I suspect. its a closed platform.. so let the hacking begin..
    you switch provider or bail on a contract they are liable to come around and shoot you with their iguns! or at least make it not work.. i'm sure the party poopers at at&t have a hefy fee for early termination of an iphone contract especially a 2 year one.. you may even have to sign in blood... just a rumor. The $175 is a std bail is cited from Verizon not at&t. There is no precedent for cancelling a contract of this erm *magnitude*.

art wrote:
    So, buy an iPhone for $500 or $600, immediately cancel your contract and total cost is either 675 or 775 per model. Which directly translates to 500/572 euros. Doesn't seem bad at all if that's they way it adds up. :)
    But then you will have to move to another carrier and pay similar monthly installments and then what's the point in leaving at&t in the first place?
    In the US Billpay is the norm usually with a 2 year contract.

rc28 wrote:
    But then you will have to move to another carrier and pay similar monthly installments and then what's the point in leaving at&t in the first place?
    In the US Billpay is the norm usually with a 2 year contract.
    There is none, it just hypothetically gives a figure for the absolute cost of the iPhone.

Take a look around when your on a train/bus next time. The amount of people using iPods has diminished completely - all I can see are people listening to radio on their nokias/SE's etc. I think it may be a big deal for them!

Agree with the comment that its obviously not a big deal for Apple fans, but they aint the majority of people!! (although there's a heck of a lot of them!) :)

The monopoly comment refers to Apples attempts to create a monopoly by using restrictive business practices, not opening up to wma, third party software providers and the like. And also providing sweet FA unless it generates revenue for them or the phone service provider. Ala the radio!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

So you want Apple to use closed, proprietary standards like WMA? I prefer open standards like MP3 and MP4 / AAC.

Down with proprietary standards and lock-in.

Edit: Just been reading over the AT&T price plan. For $59.99 (€44), you get: 450 anytime minutes, 5000 evening and weekend minutes, 200 SMS messages, unlimited data and unlimited mobile to mobile calling. Does not seem all that bad. As far as the 24 month contract, people forget that 24 month contracts are standard with the biggest mobile networks in the US. We are lucky in Ireland to only have to sign our life away for 12 months.

The phone itself over there costs either €369 or €443 for the 4GB and 8GB versions respectively.

Advertisement