Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone launch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

flogen wrote:
    Well apparently you can use two thumbs
    I'm not so sure, it seems really awkward from the videos when the keypad is in portrait mode(every app apart from safari) as the keys are kind of cramped, this video shows this when he says its more comfortable to use just one finger even though it may slow things down:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wNvmQM0_4M

Also why have apple crippled some of it's hardware features? You cant use bluetooth as normal to transfer files and sync up which really sucks, why did apple do this?:
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/iphone-bluetooth-does-nothing-but-calls-but-does-them-well-274068.php
    If I buy a device for $600 I'd want it's hardware to work like it was originally intended to.
    And no tv-out, their cheaper ipods can do this, why cant the iphone?
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/no-video-output-on-iphone-274064.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

jon1981 wrote:
    Sure wouldnt a PDA with 3G enabled be better than any of these next generation phones?

pdas have:
    gps
    voice
    3G
    camera
    windows
    mp3
    expandable memory
    MS office

these iphones and similar products are just half way between, its all BS, ppl moan because it doesnt have this that and the other, they will eventually develop into PDAS!!!

this is my generally feeling as well.

in 2 years time by the time people get out of their iphone contract the iphone will look ancient. in the meantime i'm guessing 3g/hsdpa/gps/dvb-h/32gb plus storage/ proper office suite/push email/even more expandability will be standard (on wm devices anyway).

and i don't think the iphone's touchscreen technology (its most enviable feature imo) would be difficult to emulate.

mkennedy wrote:
    this is my generally feeling as well.

in 2 years time by the time people get out of their iphone contract the iphone will look ancient. in the meantime i'm guessing 3g/hsdpa/gps/dvb-h/32gb plus storage/ proper office suite/push email/even more expandability will be standard (on wm devices anyway).

and i don't think the iphone's touchscreen technology (its most enviable feature imo) would be difficult to emulate.
    Indeed, meanwhile I'm liking the sound of this:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/01/htc-p4550-kaiser-reviewed/

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/iphone-battery-life-not-even-close-to-rated-specs-274108.php
    mmm, it's things like this that are making the iphone less and less attractive to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

rc28 wrote:
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/iphone-battery-life-not-even-close-to-rated-specs-274108.php
    mmm, it's things like this that are making the iphone less and less attractive to me.
    One guys apparent experience is different from everybody else that reviewed the phone? You are definitely a "glass half empty" person, no?

That phone you linked to above is just like the TyTn. It runs windows mobile so very much doubt it will impact on iPhone appreciation, even if it uses the iTouch thing as a facade to the OS.

art wrote:
    It runs windows mobile so very much doubt it will impact on iPhone appreciation, even if it uses the iTouch thing as a facade to the OS.
    I was impressed by it's list of features rather than it's looks which seems to influence most apple type people:D
    You're an apple kinda guy, no? ;)

rc28 wrote:
    I was impressed by it's list of features rather than it's looks which seems to influence most apple type people:D
    You're an apple kinda guy, no? ;)
    Use a Win Mobile phone myself currently but appreciate good build quality, ease of use and innovation - which often means that I do appreciate Apple products. Also have a SE phone for non-work which I think is the best I've ever used (having also had a Nokia and a two Samsungs for comparison in the last two years).

It doesn't have to be all black and white for me, colour is good. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

daveirl wrote:

not claiming it is a world record, but looks like it is reasonably quick, not the hunt and peck method that i was lead to believe was required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

With the lack of radio, is it possible to stream radio on the iPhone, ala this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115043

I'm guessing it depends on what format the stations use to stream, however most seem to be real player or windows media, and am guessing neither of these will work on the iphone?? :confused:

mollser wrote:
    With the lack of radio, is it possible to stream radio on the iPhone, ala this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115043

I'm guessing it depends on what format the stations use to stream, however most seem to be real player or windows media, and am guessing neither of these will work on the iphone?? :confused:
    Very unlikely as it has no streaming support according to this:
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sad-bloggers/iphone-web-20-standards-support-sucks-274211.php
    If you will just be listening to irish stations then I'm sure a regular ipod radio accessory will work with it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

mkennedy wrote:
    in 2 years time by the time people get out of their iphone contract the iphone will look ancient.

You're ignoring the Apple business model - by the time people get out of their 2 year iPhone contract, the rest of the world will be out buying the 5th Gen iPhone, which will finally have remedied all the problems the 1st Gen has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Been looking at all this hype around the iphone and I am still not sure whether Apple have done a good job or not. What puzzles me is that I still don't understand which market Apple is after - Consumer or business?

If this was a consumer phone I'd expect mms support, simple activation( No need to connect to the pc/mac to activate - lots of "consumers" I know would never connect their phone to anything other than the phone network), a radio etc. Possiblly even a bluetooth stack that connects to my car kit so I can be legal.

As a business phone well it just doesn't make it at all. No MS Exchange mail, no bb, no 2rd party apps, no Java support, no bluetooth for my nice company car handsfree kit.

Having said that what I do like is the touch screen (very well done) UI and the large lcd (lots of space for lots of stuff) but is this worth all the hype?

elderlemon wrote:
    Been looking at all this hype around the iphone and I am still not sure whether Apple have done a good job or not. What puzzles me is that I still don't understand which market Apple is after - Consumer or business?

If this was a consumer phone I'd expect mms support, simple activation( No need to connect to the pc/mac to activate - lots of "consumers" I know would never connect their phone to anything other than the phone network), a radio etc. Possiblly even a bluetooth stack that connects to my car kit so I can be legal.

As a business phone well it just doesn't make it at all. No MS Exchange mail, no bb, no 2rd party apps, no Java support, no bluetooth for my nice company car handsfree kit.

Having said that what I do like is the touch screen (very well done) UI and the large lcd (lots of space for lots of stuff) but is this worth all the hype?
    I agree with you, I am still slightly puzzled at who it is aimed at (too expensive for teens and the average consumer yet too lacking in features for the smartphone market). Nevertheless I am sure it will sell very well for it's stunning looks, excellent,simple(easy to use) UI and overall brand image of having an apple logo and having a proper ipod built in. I think the amount of media coverage it is getting alone will ensure good strong sales too. As I have said in previos posts I absolutely love many aspects of the iphone but I will definitely wait for v2 and up so they can hopefully fix and add some features that are stupidly left out (cant record video..wtf??) and the fact that it costs that much makes it even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

apologies if this has been posted before but just thought it was funny
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXNoB3t8vM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

well the root password has been found so we could see some interesting exploits and maybe and unlocked version soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I stand corrected looks like 02 have it for the UK which will probably be the same for Ireland.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article2028678.ece

I stand corrected looks like 02 have it for the UK which will probably be the same for Ireland.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article2028678.ece

Lol, there's lots of conflicting rumors going around, next it will be 3 getting the iphone. o2 dont really push their 3g network here like vodafone do so does this mean that the iphone will come to europe only with edge? That would be stupid on apple's part if that was the case.

I have no experience of 02's data charges, are they more reasonable than vodafone? An unlimited data package like they have in other countries would be nice.

I have honestly givin up trying to guess now as some people have suggested that apple are now doing deals with each country and trying to pick the strongest network in each country. I'll keep reading the rumours but I will belive nothing until Apple or the network make an officail announcment. Latest rumour is this will happen whne apple have sold 1 million in the US, so soon.

rc28 wrote:
    Lol, there's lots of conflicting rumors going around, next it will be 3 getting the iphone. o2 dont really push their 3g network here like vodafone do so does this mean that the iphone will come to europe only with edge? That would be stupid on apple's part if that was the case.

I have no experience of 02's data charges, are they more reasonable than vodafone? An unlimited data package like they have in other countries would be nice.
    Based on what one small operator does in one very very small country, Apple will set their pan-european iPhone strategy? Are you seriously making that comment or just trying to wind people up?

O2, in general, is better value than vodaphone here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

FTD.de reports that iPhone will start in only these three countries this Fall: UK, France, and Germany. According to the publication, the European version of iPhone will not support 3G, despite some earlier rumors.

art wrote:
    Based on what one small operator does in one very very small country, Apple will set their pan-european iPhone strategy? Are you seriously making that comment or just trying to wind people up?
    :rolleyes: Emm no, I was just saying that if o2 carry the iphone in ireland (o2 not having any 3g services) then why would apple choose o2 if the iphone coming to europe does inded have 3g (like it should)? It would be silly to have a different specced iphone for different eu countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Call_me_al wrote:
    FTD.de reports that iPhone will start in only these three countries this Fall: UK, France, and Germany. According to the publication, the European version of iPhone will not support 3G, despite some earlier rumors.

I have a feeling that the phone will be launched in Ireland at the same time as the UK as O2 Ireland & O2 Uk work so closely together.

A few tidbits coming out iPhone hacking/modification efforts. The full file listing for the iPhone has been found, and a few interesting tidbits can be gleaned from the files:

Besides AT&T and Cingular, there are logo images for T-Mobile and Vodafone in the iPhone's file system.

Default_CARRIER_ATT.png
    Default_CARRIER_CINGULAR.png
    Default_CARRIER_TMOBILE.png
    Default_CARRIER_VODAFONE.png

Both Vodafone and T-Mobile are heavily rumored to be Apple's mobile partners in Europe/Germany. No other carrier's images are included.

rc28 wrote:
    :rolleyes: Emm no, I was just saying that if o2 carry the iphone in ireland (o2 not having any 3g services) then why would apple choose o2 if the iphone coming to europe does inded have 3g (like it should)? It would be silly to have a different specced iphone for different eu countries.

Emm, no, you said:
    rc28 wrote:
    o2 dont really push their 3g network here like vodafone do so does this mean that the iphone will come to europe only with edge?

None of what you say makes any sense at all - For a start, O2 do have a 3G service. Maybe O2 don't advertise it as aggressively as vodaphone but to speculate that Apple would then ignore it and send over a special crap iPhone just for Ireland that uses edge? Yes, very likely scenario that :rolleyes:

Or, Apple chooses O2 because it has a 3G phone and O2 here have a 3G service available that is possibly underused and therefore loads of bandwidth available? Or Apple doesn't choose O2 at all ... it's pointless speculation really

• Advertisement

art wrote:
    Emm, no, you said:

None of what you say makes any sense at all - For a start, O2 do have a 3G service. Maybe O2 don't advertise it as aggressively as vodaphone but to speculate that Apple would then ignore it and send over a special crap iPhone just for Ireland that uses edge? Yes, very likely scenario that :rolleyes:

Or, Apple chooses O2 because it has a 3G phone and O2 here have a 3G service available that is possibly underused and therefore loads of bandwidth available? Or Apple doesn't choose O2 at all ... it's pointless speculation really

Actually I honestly didn't know o2 had started utilising their 3g network yet as I never see them advertise it and hence why I had made the presumption that the iphone wont have 3g.You emphasised the fact that I said "europe", I said this because I would find it hard to believe that apple would have different specced(2.5g vs 3g) iphones for different eu countries and would most likely have the same model for all of europe.

Advertisement