Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

barrister costs

• 02-03-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

anyone know how much roughly a barrister charges

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

It depends on the case, the amount of work involved and the amount of court appearances...there are many variables...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

AFAIK, they are paid on court appearances.

I think you could be looking at about 1500 or 2000 for an appearance.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

dogerster wrote: »
    anyone know how much roughly a barrister charges

Anything from free (e.g. a pro bono human rights case) to a million euro (e.g. a long running tribunal or high profile commerical case). What they charge is more or less equivalent to what many other professional people charge for their time and expertiese.

In any event, you should ask your solicitor how much it would cost, because you cannot normally engage a barrister without a solicitor. I think there were new guidelines earlier this year which compell barristers to provide a cost estimate of how much the case is likely to cost. So if you require a barrister and you're concerned about the cost, ask your solicitor to obtain an estimate from a barrister, or even from 2 or 3 so that you can compare costs, but your solicitor will help you with all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

How long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

The final fee will be comprise several elements reflecting the work done and the nature of the case ;

Paperwork like drafting pleadings and writing opinion(s).

Consultation fees.

Fees for appearing at motions.

The brief fee i.e. the professional fee.

Freshers fees - charged on top of the brief fee for each day at hearing after the first day.

BTW do not be blinded in to retaining a senior counsel automatically or thinking that the introduction of an S.C. will always enhance your litigation prospects.

Sometimes, you can be better served by a very experienced junior counsel in some cases. I have seen the introduction of S.C.'s in to some cases actually f***ing up a case that was going along nicely until they arrived !!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dogerster

thanks a million I know it is very hard to answer this question. I gusee you a talking 5 day trial in a circuit court and about 4 times up for mentionn . Sorry this sounds a weird question but I really appreciate the advice thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Criminal or civil?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dogerster

Hi bond its a criminal case

Advertisement