Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Game" Return Policy

Options
  • 02-03-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what Game's current return policy is?

Isn't there an offer that if you aren't happy with the game you can return it? I know I've done this in the past with Smyths for particularly buggy games.

It used to say this on the till receipt.. but my local game doesn't seem to have updated the till since xmas as it currently only mentions xmas returns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Anyone know what Game's current return policy is?

Isn't there an offer that if you aren't happy with the game you can return it? I know I've done this in the past with Smyths for particularly buggy games.

It used to say this on the till receipt.. but my local game doesn't seem to have updated the till since xmas as it currently only mentions xmas returns.

Tbh as long as you know your customer rights it shouldnt matter. If you have a receipt and you havent done anything to the Game ie burn it or even better finish it in less then a day you SHOULD by law be entitled to get a refund policy

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Stev_o wrote: »
    Tbh as long as you know your customer rights it shouldnt matter. If you have a receipt and you havent done anything to the Game ie burn it or even better finish it in less then a day you SHOULD by law be entitled to get a refund policy

Completely incorrect.

If the goods do NOT perform as described, you are entitled to repair, replacement or refund at the discretion of the retailer.

There is no entitlement in Ireland to demand a refund if the goods are fit for purpose.

however FunkeyMudge, i have no idea what Games actual policy is. Sorry, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Stev_o wrote: »

Well I purchased it on Friday... just didn't like it very much. There's nothing technically wrong with it though.

I'm sure they had a store policy for returns... I'd just want to exchange it for something else... so I may give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

They don't have to give you a return then. They only have to do that if something is wrong with it. They might give it to you as a matter of customer relations.

I think that as long as they can put it on the shelf as new(i.e. unopened) they will let you pick something else out or store credit. But seeing as how you played it, they might not.

I know that. I'm not talking about consumer rights.

I'm talking about specific returns policy that they have as a company and I have seen advertised in the past. It's normally mentioned on the receipt.

But I'll give it a go anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is it a PC game or console game? If it's a PC game they just won't let you take it back unless the actual disk doesn't work, in which case they'll just replace it. I got a 360 game there a few weeks back and they guy at the counter mentioned something about if I didn't like it I could bring it back within a certain time limit (don't remember how long it was).

humanji wrote: »
    I got a 360 game there a few weeks back and they guy at the counter mentioned something about if I didn't like it I could bring it back within a certain time limit (don't remember how long it was).

Yep. That's the policy I'm thinking of. At least I didn't dream it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

humanji wrote: »
    Is it a PC game or console game? If it's a PC game they just won't let you take it back unless the actual disk doesn't work, in which case they'll just replace it. I got a 360 game there a few weeks back and they guy at the counter mentioned something about if I didn't like it I could bring it back within a certain time limit (don't remember how long it was).

He's right. If it's a PC game they are very unlikely to give you a refund. That's because with PC games you could theoritically go home, install the game and burn the disc or mount it and then come back to the shop and rip them off. You might be able to talk your way into getting a different PC game if you play your cards right however, but remeber they don't have to. All they have to do is replace a faulty PC title with the exact same title. Tell them the game needs an internet connection for installation or to be played online, worth a shot.

Success... Just traded in the stink fest that is the Lost video game for Lost Odyssey.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Success... Just traded in the stink fest that is the Lost video game for Lost Odyssey.

for future reference, did you get the policy off of them?

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote: »
    for future reference, did you get the policy off of them?

Not really... didn't seem to be a big issue with him. I'd say they'd be fine as long as you don't regularly take the piss, which I think I've seen some people doing.

Oddly Lost Odyssey had a €75 price sticker on it, but I only had to add €5 to the cost of Lost to get it. Lost was €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's in reperation of Lost being so ****e

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just mention you didn't agree to the EULA (End User License Agreements), these state if you do not accept you can contact the seller for a refund within 14 days or something, It should work for ya as the EULAs are governed by law?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Not really... didn't seem to be a big issue with him. I'd say they'd be fine as long as you don't regularly take the piss, which I think I've seen some people doing.

Oddly Lost Odyssey had a €75 price sticker on it, but I only had to add €5 to the cost of Lost to get it. Lost was €60.

The lads in some of the GAME stores are alright if you don't take the piss. GAME use to have a 7 day return policy but it became a rental service to some.

I remember people posting how not to take an exchange when you return the game but to take cash and go to another GAME store. If you took an exchange you couldn't get a refund apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The strict policy is 28 days to return the item as long as it remains sealed (i.e. you can't play it and decide you don't like it). But ****ty if you've bought a crap game but the 10 day return for any reason was abused so it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

yoyo wrote: »
    Just mention you didn't agree to the EULA (End User License Agreements), these state if you do not accept you can contact the seller for a refund within 14 days or something, It should work for ya as the EULAs are governed by law?

Nick

Also not true.. the EULA agreement is not binding on the retailer, it's an additional agreement post sale between the manufacturer and the purchaser. Agreeing / not agreeing to the terms of use set out by the manufacturer does not render the product unfit for the purpose for which it was sold, so the retailer is not under any obligation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Ouch, Lost Odyssey is €55 in both Xtravision and Zavvi.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Absolam wrote: »
    Also not true.. the EULA agreement is not binding on the retailer, it's an additional agreement post sale between the manufacturer and the purchaser. Agreeing / not agreeing to the terms of use set out by the manufacturer does not render the product unfit for the purpose for which it was sold, so the retailer is not under any obligation...
    Was discussing this in class and my legal teacher disagreed ;) , apparently it is binding due to a section in it (Subject to applicable laws or something?), anyway he disagreed and it does have legal status, thats what he said anyway! What point would it be anyways there for, for the craic of it? BTW from the Microsoft word EULA:
    BY USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THEM, DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE. INSTEAD, RETURN IT TO THE RETAILER FOR A REFUND OR CREDIT.
    Clearly says return to retailer for credit...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

you will be told to deal with the manafacturer...and if you opened it, youll be shown the door

guy bought windows vista and came back saying that and he was sent packing....had to deal with manafacturer

Advertisement