Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Strip Clubs - Story?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

"one of the girls", maybe? what I mean is, is there any part of that story that required him to specify she was black in order for the story to make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

tbh wrote: »
    "one of the girls", maybe? what I mean is, is there any part of that story that required him to specify she was black in order for the story to make sense?

I don't see the trouble, until IanCurtis had to get all PC over it.

Its not a term I'd use to describe a black girl, but $hifty was just building a picture of the scene.

Just thinking about it, I'd have been reluctant to use any words to describe the girl because I appricate these days that people can't scratch your arse these days without someone getting their PC knickers in a twist of it.

Always some self appointed PC policeman patrolling here ready to throw racist labels about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm not backing up IanCurtis, I find the term a bit archaic, but I don't have a problem with shifty using it, I'm just not sure why he felt it was relevant :)

tbh wrote: »
    I'm not backing up IanCurtis, I find the term a bit archaic, but I don't have a problem with shifty using it, I'm just not sure why he felt it was relevant :)

But your forgetting he's a $hifty is a bogger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

That's a bit like someone saying that their tracksuit is smarter than another's boiler-suit. Of course it is, but that doesn't make it smart.

Raise your standards of comparison. ;)

I've never visited Bebo and hopefully never will! :eek: Isn't it for children?

At 40 years of age I somehow doubt that I'd look like a "boy dressing up" and what's all this about short sleeved shirts? I don't recall saying that I wear a short sleeved shirt! :confused:

No you didn't but you're little comment about getting sick at the thought of someone not trying to dress up to get in to a Dublin nightclub/pub (which I now trust actually wasn't you being sarcastic - again, *cringe*) makes me think you're an absolute horrorshow of a person so I just presumed...

If you're 40 years of age fair enough, perhaps you've not really got an ear to the ground of what acceptable going out fashion is, though I don't see how it could have changed much. At any rate, in Dublin nightclubs or pubs don't require you to dress formally, nor would you feel underdressed in comparison to others.
    Again though, well done on the utter brutality of your post about getting sick, really one of the most spectacularly bad posts I've read in ages.

As for the referring to a random girl as coloured thing, it's not racist, just archaic and slightly embarassing in a David Brent kind of way. Same goes for the use of "orientals".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Mairt wrote: »
    I don't see the trouble, until IanCurtis had to get all PC over it.

Its not a term I'd use to describe a black girl, but $hifty was just building a picture of the scene.

Just thinking about it, I'd have been reluctant to use any words to describe the girl because I appricate these days that people can't scratch your arse these days without someone getting their PC knickers in a twist of it.

Always some self appointed PC policeman patrolling here ready to throw racist labels about.

If you had an ounce of intelligence instead of a big post count, you would realise that calling someone "coloured" implies that they could be black, asian, chinese, hispanic, as opposed to "white" which is deeply offensive to any member of a multi-cultural society.

IanCurtis wrote: »
    If you had an ounce of intelligence instead of a big post count, you would realise that calling someone "coloured" implies that they could be black, asian, chinese, hispanic, as opposed to "white" which is deeply offensive to any member of a multi-cultural society.

Why is it "deeply" offensive?.

Its funny that I should run into people like you on boards.e, always ready to throw some PC bull**** my way or try label me 'racist' or 'border line' racist when not one person has ever said that to my face, the mind boggles.

So how, according to YOUR obviously genuis mind should the poster have refered to a "coloured" girl?.

And why, oh why don't the PC warrior brigade feel obligied to educate me on the error of my ways 'in real life' as opposed to the internet?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Why is it "deeply" offensive?

Not sure about being deeply offensive, but the term "coloured" sort of implies there's white people and then there's everyone else. It's being exclusive at best.

As for hoodies & runners, I'm with Wishbone on this. Unless of course you're out for a run on a cold day. Though I do remember wearing white boot runners myself back in 1985 :o

Why is it "deeply" offensive?.

Its funny that I should run into people like you on boards.e, always ready to throw some PC bull**** my way or try label me 'racist' or 'border line' racist when not one person has ever said that to my face, the mind boggles.

So how, according to YOUR obviously genuis mind should the poster have refered to a "coloured" girl?.

And why, oh why don't the PC warrior brigade feel obligied to educate me on the error of my ways 'in real life' as opposed to the internet?.

Maybe they've been too embarrassed to tell you, I know I would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep. Cloured is pretty outdated and offensive...

There's even a well known poem about this that was turned into a pop song a couple of years back.

" When I born, I Black,

When I grow up, I Black,

When I go in Sun, I Black,

When I scared, I Black,

When I sick, I Black,

And when I die, I still black..

And you White fella,

When you born, you Pink,

When you grow up, you White,

When you go in Sun, you Red,

When you cold, you Blue,

When you scared, you Yellow,

When you sick, you Green,

And when you die, you Gray..

And you calling me Colored?"

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

This may be part of the reason:

:D

IRLConor wrote: »
    This may be part of the reason:

:D

Yea, but where's the burning cross?.. :D

But all joking aside, I think the internet is a safety zone where some people feel its safe to rant, rave and label other's. Sort of like the idiot with road rage feeling all safe and secure in his car while roaring at everyone around him.

Just pissing me off thats all.

Yep. Cloured is pretty outdated and offensive...

There's even a well known poem about this that was turned into a pop song a couple of years back.

" When I born, I Black,

When I grow up, I Black,

When I go in Sun, I Black,

When I scared, I Black,

When I sick, I Black,

And when I die, I still black..

And you White fella,

When you born, you Pink,

When you grow up, you White,

When you go in Sun, you Red,

When you cold, you Blue,

When you scared, you Yellow,

When you sick, you Green,

And when you die, you Gray..

And you calling me Colored?"

As far as I know its origin is Steve Biko's trial and not a poem.

Maybe they've been too embarrassed to tell you, I know I would be.

I very much doubt thats the reason :rolleyes:

Mairt, in all honesty, you can blather on about internet safety zones and all that crap, but calling someone "coloured" is racist, end of story.

Now I think they were talking about strip clubs......

Mairt, in all honesty, you can blather on about internet safety zones and all that crap, but calling someone "coloured" is racist, end of story.

In YOUR opinion its racist, in my opinion used in the context $hifty used it, its not racist.

Your thinking about when some states in the USA and apartheid South Africa used it as a term to segrigate 'Coloureds' and 'White' - which disgusts every decent human being.

Then get off your moral PC high horse and stop bringing threads off topic - there's a report post function for reporting racist abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

back on topic......the standard of clubs in Dublin really is muck.

That garden of eden place on the quays seems a bit dodge to me. Been in there twice in the past 6 months or so and all felt pretty uncomfortable. It also seems pretty small. Wasn't that place pretty big inside........SPI it was called wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 frecklz

I've searched and searched on the internet, but I can't find any male strip clubs in Dublin. Was it just an urban myth? I was looking forward to going to one on my hen night. Can anyone enlighten me?

By the way that garden of eden that used to be called spi bar - I used to go to poetry readings there. Can you imagine my shock when I brought a friend in for a casual drink only to discover a pole on the stage? Thank God it was early afternoon!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

although one of the lads got ripped off by one of the coloured ladies who wouldn't even take her bra off (he's from Kerry and didn't realise any better).

The ladies in Kerry have b00bies too you know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Poor old Stringfellows was very good for it's floor shows though... and the staff there were incredibly friendly.

Of course they were :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

It's not racist in the slightest, what the hell is wrong with certain people coming over all PC mother of jaysus:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Back on topic, why anyone would want to waste their money going to strip clubs here is beyond me,a complete waste of money, we went to one before in Aberdeen about 10 years ago and at a fiver in, 2 quid a drink and a fiver a dance that was value for money and the staff and girls were all sound, was with a group of lads then but wouldn't bother nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

ya the lapdance is a tease wont be goin back!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

i try to visit strip clubs wherever I go in the world because some of them are brilliant: Angels in Liverpool, showgirls in Surfers paradise in Australia, cant remember the name of the one in Amsterdam. - you get fully nude table dances at your table in front of everyone and you can perv at other peoples dances + fully nude floor shows normally at VERY close range

but dublin or anywhere else in ireland is utter ****e and not worth bothering with at all - only private dances and fully clothed floor shows if at all- depressing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I know loads of black people. They like to be called black.

I think "coloured" is a bit dated, but it doesn't necessarily mean the person who says it is racist.

Back on topic: strip clubs are a waste of money. You just end up going home sexually frustrated and have the most expensive **** of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

c0ldfyr3 wrote: »
    I asked where there was another one and he said South William Street and i said i wanted the club name not street

He answered you correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The one on South William Street is called "The Barclay Club".

http://www.barclayclub.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

One drunken night after being in Q Bar I strolled into Lapello, I was only 16 at the time, no joke! (it was only a few months ago). Myself and a friend showed some fairly old bouncer our fake IDs and he let us through. The friend was wearing white runners and I was wearing grey and red ones, and all he said was ''lose the runners next time lads''. We didn't get very far in the end as there was a fairly steep entrance fee and we were running low on cash.

So I suppose it all depends on the bouncer on the night, this guy certainly seemed like a right idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A hoodie and runners......ffs

That's given me a great oul laugh.....dear oh dear.

What an advertisement for the place if they'd let you in!!!!

Im sure the OP is a very respectable citzen - honestly i cant stand places that discriminate because of hoodies. Runners trackies etc fair enough, but a hoodie is for many people, a substitute for a coat. Nothing more or less.

If someone is clearly acting the knacker then fair enough, but theres plenty of pefecty sane people out there who are comfortable in hoodies. Bouncers who refuse these people need to be formally warned by their employers and, assuming they dont listen (not many do), subsquently fired.

If only......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 supersara

Hello there,

I was just wondering if anyone would think it's appropriate for a guy in a long term relationship to get a lap dance in a strip club when his young, attractive and very flexible girlfriend does it for him quite regularly?? Perhaps it is acceptable and i'm just a bit old fashioned to think that a satisfied partner shouldn't need to see another woman's naked body... :o

Advertisement