Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brian Cowen's oversight towards Disabled drivers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

has your opinion changed any since you first posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fabsoul wrote: »
    not if she get a new car every year. you have to keep the car for two years
    if your getting VRT back

Ah, she's probably only getting a new car every other year so!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

colm_mcm wrote: »
    has your opinion changed any since you first posted?

No, not at all, I can not understand how it is necessary for one to pay extra for a necessity in order to operate a car (auto.) when the govern. already recognises that one has a disability. The car of choice should be recognised as it's manual counterpart regardless of make/model where there is an underlying disability in existance. The current scheme is not based upon emissions so such should be invalid until such time as it is ammended/addressed to take the higher emissions into a/c i.e. no longer based on engine size etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

alpina wrote: »
    No, not at all, I can not understand how it is necessary for one to pay extra for a necessity in order to operate a car (auto.) when the govern. already recognises that one has a disability. The car of choice should be recognised as it's manual counterpart regardless of make/model where there is an underlying disability in existance. The current scheme is not based upon emissions so such should be invalid until such time as it is ammended/addressed to take the higher emissions into a/c i.e. no longer based on engine size etc.

OP you keep mentioning CO2 and so forth...

is it not the case that autos cost more now than manuals (i.e. under current system) so what is going to change under the new system?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

unkel wrote: »
    A generous system imho. The wheelchair bound MD of a company in the business park where I work changes her car every year for a brand new one, typically a BMW or a Mercedes. Doing that costs her very little if anything. Fair play to her, but people need to realise the tax payer is footing the bill for this

If she changing it every year rest assured its her company thats paying for it :) She can only claim once every 2 years and if she sells a car sooner than that she is required to refund the revenue pro-rata the time she had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Riskymove wrote: »

is it not the case that autos cost more now than manuals (i.e. under current system) so what is going to change under the new system?

Their VRT and road tax rate is higher and this cost is eating into the allowance. The VRT and road tax is not just abolished for these cars, it is taken away from the allowance.

I dont agree that this is an issue about automatics but I do agree the allowance needs to be raised.

Forgive me but i need to get a lowered floor and thats a lot more than a auto so why should people getting auto get more than I need to get for the lowered floor. My point is that the allowance is to allow for all these things.

This is not about CO2 and should be about raising the allowance. Op, you should refocus your efforts on raising awareness to raise the allowance to help all disabled passengers/drivers and not just focus on your automatic as the allowance sometimes does not cover the cost of VRT, tax and a lowered floor.

There is no point in reasoning with the OP. He/She is on a mission.

Riskymove wrote: »

Under the present system car A. is costing €3,000 over manual equiv.
    Under new system, July onwards, car A. is costing just under €5,000 extra due to higher emissions experienced in autos.

That is what's going to change under the new system.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There is no point in reasoning with the OP. He/She is on a mission.

You can echo that, received a phone call today from a certain state dept.
    (no prizes for guessing) and this precise topic is to be addressed prior to changeover, amazing what can be ammended when one ripples the water, rather than sitting at the bar and moaning...:)

If this ludicrous proposal gets any backing then you may be right on one count
    Like so many things in this country at the present, A Blatant Farce!:mad::confused:

The levels of VRT and VAT exemption need to be means tested and a reflection on the conversion work done on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

To Chris 85, you get €9,525 off the price of car, manual version, say €50,000 Auto version €55,000, manufacturer charges approx €2.5k balance is as a result of higher Co2 so one still has to pay more. This is not a rant and Altreab as someone with a PMC & you are in need of auto. box you will see what I mean when you go to change.
    Have spoken with the IWA and yes it was an oversight, such is the reason I am addressing now rather than the usual Irish attitude of bitching after the fact.
    These are the facts right now, one is penalised for needing an auto and as the IWA have stated I was the first to address such oversight and it was that an oversight.

With newer cars auto boxes do not mean higher co2 emissions. For example the new Audi TTS S-Tronic (audi talk for dsg) version has lower co2 emissions than the manual version. From July it will be taxed @ 28% compared to the 32% the manual will be taxed at

RedorDead wrote: »
    With newer cars auto boxes do not mean higher co2 emissions. For example the new Audi TTS S-Tronic (audi talk for dsg) version has lower co2 emissions than the manual version. From July it will be taxed @ 28% compared to the 32% the manual will be taxed at
    Same with the Yaris 1.3. the Multimode falls into a LOWER tax band than the manual! these transmissions don't use torque convertors AFAIK. which would make them different to most automatics out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Under the present system car A. is costing €3,000 over manual equiv.
    Under new system, July onwards, car A. is costing just under €5,000 extra due to higher emissions experienced in autos.

That is what's going to change under the new system.

Can't you go away and buy a diesel automatic and leave us alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

OP, every disabled driver has a certain thing they need which costs extra. You get an allowance for this. I want more money beacause i need to get a lowered floor for family member and the allowance does this.

Not posting on this thread anymore as its a waste of time. You didnt want a discussion or to hear what other people thought, you just want to preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

chris85 wrote: »
    Not posting on this thread anymore as its a waste of time. You didnt want a discussion or to hear what other people thought, you just want to preach.

Well said, Chris. This thread is now closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement