Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drilling PVC

Options
  • 02-03-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

hi, got blind repaired recently. involved a new pair of brackets wjich in my innocence i thought would just fit neatly into existing ones and i declined the services of the blinds man to fit it cos...me thinks-i can do this! BUT i then discovered that in order to hang correctly the new brackets must go into the pvc window bracket. So, rather than have to go back to mr. blinds man, how tricky is it to drill? naturally i don't wish to ruin my window!!
    thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Are they a full pvc frame pvc?

You can drill them with a steel HSS bit. Make sure the hole you drill is the same thickness as the shank of the screw.. not the threads the shank.. thats the part in between the threads.. it ensures a bite for the screw. To stop the bit slipping on the pvc when u start to bore place a bit of masking tape over the area you intend to drill. This will prevent the bit slipping and marking the frame on entry. Only drill the inner leaf of the frame.. dont drill through the windiw frame to the outer lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

hi,
    it looks like a standard pvc window but i'm no expert on same. the frame is approx 3 inches. i dont know what you mean by "inner leaf" is that about how far in you drill or to keep as close to wall and away from the window :confused:

many thanks,
    K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

Kate. this sort of thing happens all the time in our business. Theres not much to hanging a blind if you fit 60 a day, but if everybody knew how to do it I'd have to go look for a new job.
    Contact your supplier they will be well used to people coming back to ask for help or coming back with a damaged blind.

Advertisement