Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2mb eircom broadand

Options
  • 02-03-2008 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Last Friday my Eircom broadband was upgraded from 1mb to 2mb always on. The problems is, ever since it was upgraded my router keeps restarting every few hours and when downloading the speed jumps up and down a lot. For example when on 1mb i was getting over 90kb/sec and since upgrading to 2mb i'm getting between 80 and 170kb/sec. It would start at around 80kb then it steadily reaches around 170kb/sec but as soon as that happens it falls straight back down again. For most of the part its at around 110/120kb and that's just above what i was getting. I'm going to ring Eircom on Monday but i was just wondering if the problem is on my end and if i can do anything.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Can you access the router home page and go to the advanced mode??

There should be an option for statistics, could you post the DSL stats for me please?? The likes of line attenuation and signal margin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)
    1952 256
    SN Margin (dB)
    6.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)
    63.50 31.50
    CRC Errors
    12 2

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

Since the upgrade have you re-booted the router?
    If not do a re-boot and see if it helps!

Check with eircom to see if they can run a line check if the above has no effect.
    Check your filters and connect to the main socket where the line enters the house on the shortest connection you have as this is likely to be the first thing you'll be asked and it gives the agent a get you off the line and call back option.
    Check the modem/router firmware is up to date.
    Worse case the upgrade is causing the issue and if it causing to much hassle a downgrade may be a better option.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mailrewop wrote: »
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)
    1952 256
    SN Margin (dB)
    6.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)
    63.50 31.50
    CRC Errors
    12 2
    Those stats don't seem very good man, Noise margin low (Higher the better) and Attenuation is quite high (Lower the better), I'd wait for someone elses advice, Although I'm sure those stats would be limiting your download speed! I'm not sure this would cause the router to restart though...

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Yikes, those stats are horrific! At 6dB Noise Margin its a wonder you're able to get on the net at all. With DSL, anything below about 10dB Noise Margin, then any sudden "spike" of noise in the line will most likely cause the line to drop, meaning you appear to lose all internet connectivity for the best part of a minute until the router resets itself. If you've a good SNR margin then this won't really have any noticeable effect, and certainly won't cause the connection to drop. This could be your problem with the router restarting.

As boomslang says, check all your internal connections, extensions, filters on all phone devices etc. but in all likelihood, you're going to have no choice but to downgrade back to the 1Mb package as that's probably all your line is capable of taking, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Its strange that Eircom actually went ahead with the upgrade with your stats being so iffy. Usually they are blamed on here for being too careful.

these make useful reading for anyone not to up on the importance of line stats:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

dub45 wrote: »
    Its strange that Eircom actually went ahead with the upgrade with your stats being so iffy. Usually they are blamed on here for being too careful.

they actually rang my house and asked if we wanted to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

This happened a lot with BT. They just contact customers and ask if they want to be upgraded and never run a line test first. When I worked on tech support we got loads of customers with this very issue.
    If your service worked fine prior to the update then contact tech support and ask if they can test the line and check the connection attempts(to the RAS). It is likely that your only option is to ask them to downgrade it again. This will likely be for the best. It will either be a length of line or quality of line issue.

since posting the other day my download speed has increased to what it should be at. it is still disconnecting but i have noticed it is happening every 4 to 5 hrs. rang eircom and they are sending someone out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mailrewop wrote: »
    since posting the other day my download speed has increased to what it should be at. it is still disconnecting but i have noticed it is happening every 4 to 5 hrs. rang eircom and they are sending someone out.

They must have been taken over by UPC!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Unfortunately they are some bad stats. Is your router connected to the Eircom line at the front door? Your internal wiring might be crap. If possible, try connecting at your front door (or wherever the line comes into your house first). Otherwise maybe try and get Eircom to sync your connection a little bit lower.

Advertisement