Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car rental to provisional license drivers?

Options
  • 02-03-2008 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

The car is in for repair but really need a car for work. As far as I know a lot of the car rental services do not rent to prov license holders. Does anybody know any company that rents cars to prov holders. Sure I got prob transfer the insurance. Thanks in advance. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

None of them will I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I doubt any will rent to a prov driver, i havent heard of it ever happening, full licence only.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

I got a car rented before via AA when a car broke down before and they done it. I just transferred the insurance. Different location now but. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Have to be over 23 too

I am :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Do you use the car for work or just for commuting?
    As I'm sure you know if you use it for work you need a business policy.
    This might make a difference to a rental company.
    Not sure about the provisonal though.
    Any time I've rented a car they 've always looked for a full license.
    Good luck.

commuting. Just need it to get in and out of work for the few days

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Forget it - all of the reputable car hire companies' terms & conditions are based on a full licence and "appropriate" age limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Best bet would be the garage you left your car to. They might give you a car to put your own policy on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

One way is to ask a mate could you use their car and transfer your insurance to the mates car then offer the mate to pay for a car rental while you use his car. Obviously the mate would need full licence and be over 23.

Its a bit different but that way you have a car

• Advertisement

chris85 your a genius!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jtiernan wrote: »
    commuting. Just need it to get in and out of work for the few days

How far is your commute? If not too far, why not get taxis? Depending on the distance, it might even be cheaper and it's less hassle

I take it public transport / cycling / walking is not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

chris85 wrote: »
    One way is to ask a mate could you use their car and transfer your insurance to the mates car then offer the mate to pay for a car rental while you use his car. Obviously the mate would need full licence and be over 23.

Its a bit different but that way you have a car
    top marks for cleverness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

top marks for cleverness!!
    Only if both parties are over 25 YOA (usually).

Advertisement