Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Cleaning Prices are crazy

Options
  • 02-03-2008 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

I have a suit that I get dry cleaned, but I have noticed dry cleaning prices have gone to the dogs.

I also needed to get a pair of chinos turned up (I did not want to bring them back to shop to get a shorter leg size) and I was changed 8 euros to cut 2 inches off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

8 euros is nothing. If you had any idea of the overheads etc even a small business has to cover you'd understand.

How much was your dry cleaning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

€8 is for nothing for someone to stitch up a garment, they do a little more than cut the 2 inches off, you could have managed that yourself if it was so easy.

dry cleaning is a complete rip off however. €16 in my local dry cleaners to clean a suit is crazy i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

tippbhoy wrote: »
    dry cleaning is a complete rip off however. €16 in my local dry cleaners to clean a suit is crazy i think

Could you do it yourself?

Didn't think so. Now explain how it's a rip-off.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Could you do it yourself?

Didn't think so. Now explain how it's a rip-off.

No I can't do it myself. This is part of the problem, most suits need to be dry cleaned.
    It is a rip off because it used to cost me avg €12 3 years ago for a start, 33% increase in 3 years is not right.
    Secondly it is almost 8 to 10% of the cost of an average suit. If you want a suit cleaned once a week it becomes very expensive. €64 a month for clean suits. That's not even with a waistcoat. I would consider this too expensive but i have no alternative in this instance.

It is also not as if they drop everything either, the nature of the business gives them the opportunity of a significant lead time. They usually drag it out 4 or 5 days so it is not like they need to operate a large staff for peak time management or anything like it. Overheads will stay fairly constant.

€16 to clean a suit is too much imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

tippbhoy wrote: »
    Secondly it is almost 8 to 10% of the cost of an average suit.

Yeah, that bites! It should be possible by keeping the suit hung and by judicious use of a damp cloth to reduce the cleaning bill. But really, €16.00 is not a lot to pay to look smart. How I look at it is, how much work would I be prepared to do for €16.00? 15 minutes, max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yow, expensive if you do it every week. Also, if the suit doesn't have a floating canvas (i.e., isn't a fairly expensive suit) it will probably break the glue and reduce the lifetime of the suit. Dry cleaning can be hard on good clothes too (though depends on the type of dry cleaning).

At least have a look at: http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000209.html

There's a lot of logistics and safety stuff involved in running a dry clean operation and that's at least part of the reason it's so expensive. (There's also labour and skill involved.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you're near Cross Guns Bridge in Phibsboro/Glasnevin, Coyles Dry Cleaners do an early bird deal... I'm not sure of prices but I'll get them in the morning when I pass on the bus.

Also the lady that works there is very nice!!

Yow, expensive if you do it every week. Also, if the suit doesn't have a floating canvas (i.e., isn't a fairly expensive suit) it will probably break the glue and reduce the lifetime of the suit. Dry cleaning can be hard on good clothes too (though depends on the type of dry cleaning).

At least have a look at: http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000209.html

There's a lot of logistics and safety stuff involved in running a dry clean operation and that's at least part of the reason it's so expensive. (There's also labour and skill involved.)

interesting until he mentioned the carpenter...ah i'm letting off steam more than anything really. When things go above €15 threshold i always feel it isn't something you buy every week. Thanks for all the advice though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

someone has to check all pockets and check for objects in the lining of the garments
    then check for stains and marks and pre-treat these with soap or chemicals which are all very expensive

then the garment is washed in a particularly expensive fluid(which i cant pronounce or even spell) which costs a fortune

then it is dried and this involves running a power intensive fridge unit to condense the cleaning fluid and return most of it to tanks in the machine.

if clothes run in the wash this fluid must be distilled after the wash cycly which costs more.

then the garment is checked for stains and marks before being pressed etc then put on a hanger and checked again before being passed on to front of the shop for collection at the customers convenience!

so yes you are probably being ripped off if you have to wait a week for your dry cleaning

but most places have a 3hour turn-around and some will even help out in an emergency by doing 1 or two individual garments for you in under an hour(machine cycle permitting)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I just moved back to monaghan from newry, dropped me suit in to be dry cleaned and got charged €20, i was a bit shocked to say the least! Now in fairness it was done in a day or two but when i was living in Newry it cost me £7 to get it done, bit difference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 julies boy

if u go to mackers in graften st and go mackers in the back of beond the euro saver menu is still 1 or 2 eoro for the same things??????
    dublin wages graften st rents and rates compaired to contry price set ups ??? its all bull
    do u think st is working for their healthy hart canpaign or their muilty million profit margen
    at the end of the day its all about paying hudge pay packs (witch are called bouness )to the top levels and obsean profet margens witch we accept by paying their prices

ihave the perfect example i buy crome table legs (a set of 4) for around 20 euros from an irish distubater so they have already made a profit fair enought they probly buy them 3-4 euros each at the most
    i was in homebase and seen the crome legs for between 40-55 euros each how can that be justified

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I paid €16 euro for a light coat to be done recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

julies boy wrote: »
    if u go to mackers in graften st and go mackers in the back of beond the euro saver menu is still 1 or 2 eoro for the same things??????
    dublin wages graften st rents and rates compaired to contry price set ups ??? its all bull
    do u think st is working for their healthy hart canpaign or their muilty million profit margen
    at the end of the day its all about paying hudge pay packs (witch are called bouness )to the top levels and obsean profet margens witch we accept by paying their prices

ihave the perfect example i buy crome table legs (a set of 4) for around 20 euros from an irish distubater so they have already made a profit fair enought they probly buy them 3-4 euros each at the most
    i was in homebase and seen the crome legs for between 40-55 euros each how can that be justified

Homebase are expensive in the UK - and they're REALLY expensive here.

Same company as Argos.

Advertisement