Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer Advice-Commuting

Options
  • 02-03-2008 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi, I am thinking of buying a house in Wooden Bridge in Wicklow.I have always wanted to live in the country but the only problem is the commute. Would love to hear anyones opinion and advise-is it possible to commute into Dublin City Centre from Woodenbridge (near Arklow)??

PLEASE HELP:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

Buy a helicopter you can get one for about 125 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Bit far down to be honest for commuting. Lovely place though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I live in Arklow and commute to Blackrock every day. It generally takes me about 45min. There doesnt seem to be any heavy traffic until you hit the Glen of the Downs. Ive being doing this for a little over a year and I dont find it much of a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

I think it depends what time you are going to be leaving in the morning. you can fly up if you leave very early but peak time a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I live in Arklow and commute to Blackrock every day. It generally takes me about 45min. There doesnt seem to be any heavy traffic until you hit the Glen of the Downs. Ive being doing this for a little over a year and I dont find it much of a problem.

That's very good going - it used to take me 40 minutes from Greystones to the city centre alone.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote: »
    That's very good going - it used to take me 40 minutes from Greystones to the city centre alone.

I agree, it takes me a minimum of 35 mins to get to loughlinstown from just outside rathnew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

20 mins from Harcourt st to luas station in Sandyford, 40min from Sandyford (luas station) to rathdrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ishnid

That's very helpful folks, thanks a lot.

Specifically, we'd have to make it into UCD and St. Stephen's Green, so I guess the Luas from Sandyford is probably the best bet for the latter.

We've driven down there a few times but as it's not at peak times it's not very reliable as an indicator of how long it would take.

Just out of interest: the times people have mentioned: are ye heading in for 9am or at off-peak times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Start at 8am in harcourt st, finish at 4:30 would recommend being at the luas station in SF no later than 8am as its fairly full at 7:30.

Getting to UCD - the only real bottle neck is Stillorgan. i leave outskirts of wicklow town at 7.20ish, get to stillorgan about 8, it can take another 20 mins or so to get to UCD from there. if you leave later it might be a bit better but not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I did a commute from a similar area to lucan for 5 months and it nearly drove me insane. Goin in the morning early is grand but its the coming home and gettin stuck at bray and then queing all along by the beehive that gets really fustrating. It wont leave u much time during the week for enjoying your dream home in woodenbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I live in Charlesland and work close to Pearse St. I leave at 06.45 and I am in work well in time for 08.00. Never any traffic problems to report. I wouldn't have a problem moving further south either. Not sure if I could do it if I had to be in at 09.00. I guess it depends on your hours.

Whatever commute you intend doing you can be sure you won't be the only one doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

That commute shouldn't be too bad. I travel from Tinahely to sandyford every day. Normally leave at 7.00 and am in work for about 8.15. The only real problem is when you get to the Glen of the Downs but once you get past Kilmacanogue there's no problems.

Does the new interchange make any difference to anyone's commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I thought it made a change when it was opened up first but then the kids were off school so you couldn't really make a good comparison.

Well considering they still have the speed limit at 60kp/h its going to be a while before it makes a big difference..

That interchange has to have the worst surface ever its totally bumpy and uneven, would explain why there is a 60kph limit I suppose..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

I the long term, the LUAS will be going to Bray, so you'll be quids in then...

Still a vast improvement from having to drive through Delgany though, that's just not fun when the roads are slippy.

Aye, and what about "that pothole" as you leave delgany village on the right, you'd get lost in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Ritz for d'Lack

Hey Ish, I live in Arklow and commute to Stillorgan every day.. Being honest it prob takes more in the region of an hour to commute. Woodenbridge is grand but seriously, there's sod all there... If you are talking about areas to live, maybe try Rockbig or Clogga, or Coolgreany - depending on your budget.. Closer to Arklow but still in the country...
    From Woodenbridge, you could come straight into arklow, avoca and up the the N11 from there, or go into Aughrim, Rathdrum and that way.... grand quiet area is woodenbridge...

• Advertisement
Advertisement