Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goal scoring wingers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Ronaldo, Anderson and Nani are all portugese speakers and apparently get on really well with each other.

I'd imagine they are very close, the hooker party would back that view up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

rossie1977 wrote: »
    messi started each half playing just in front of the right back
    That's because at kick off he'd be offside if he was in the opponent's half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

DesF wrote: »
    That's because at kick off he'd be offside if he was in the opponent's half.

really :)

for the first 15 minutes of each half of that game he barely crossed the half-way line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Messi is a class player. But C. Ronaldo is the worlds form player, and has been for about 18 months, at some point, it'll have to be judged that its not "a run of form" and that he is just THAT good. sad but true.

Messi is hardly the bees knees either, did feck all against Arbeloa over 2 legs last year in the CL, with Arbeloa making his debut at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

really :)

for the first 15 minutes of each half of that game he barely crossed the half-way line

that doesn't really sound like a good thing... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thread was about goal scoring wingers. I think the point about Benayoun is that I wouldn't a huge amount into ten goals, because 3 of them were against Waterloo and whatever. There is a massive difference between playing somebodyin the PL, and somebody in what, league 52?
    Still a solid buy though, no doubt

As for the Ronaldo argument, these debates happen every week :)
    I'd say a couple of things though,
    A. Ronaldo has not performed enough in big games yet, unlike Kaka and Messi.
    B. Messi and Kaka have never performed at the level of consistancy that Ronaldo has shown in the league.

That said, both do pretty well in each others fields. Kaka and Messi do pretty ****ing good in the league, and Ronaldo does pretty well in the big games imo.
    People say in 30 games etc, but to be honest, in the last 2 years is when Ronaldo has really come to the fore.
    In terms of the big games last year? He did get a goal against AC Milan last year, and was the MOM in ripping apart Roma in the 7-1 demolition. Maybe he didn't do it in the away tie at Milan, but he's not a magician.

C. The way you know how good Ronald is, is that Ancellotti said the way to stop Ronaldo is to double and treble mark him, and make sure he can never recieve the ball with constant pressure always on him. He is a winger, he can be marked out of games. It's possible. Nearly every player can be, Mascherano marked Kaka out of the CL final last year. Does this mean Kaka is ****? No, it just means that they are stoppable. Everybody is! Kaka ripped United apart last year, no doubt, but the player marking him was Fletcher. Not that I don't like Fletcher, but theres a bit of a difference between him and Mascherano. But these things are glossed over. It's not so simple as saying Ronaldo performs better in the league, and Kaka and Messi perform better in the big games.

Either way, I'd always take Ronaldo over the other two. Because for me the league is the most important thing, and he pretty much ensures you will be in the league title race on his own, something that Kaka and Messi don't do.

So far this year, I don't think there has been a better player in world football. I think as the year progresses, maybe Kaka and Messi will rise to the challenge and overtake it, but we'll see.

p.s. IMO Rooney can be as good as Ronaldo, but will never score the same amount of goals/assists. His contribution is much more all rounded than Ronaldo imo. EIther way, he is a big game player already, but not as good in the league.
    Funny how people will dismiss him for that, but laud Kaka and Messi for it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

well he had a chance to prove that last year versus AC Milan, remind me what happened. The British media hailed it as kaka versus Ronaldo, i think kaka may have won that one ;)

i would have kaka, henry, messi, rooney on my team ahead of c.ronaldo, i know most here disagree but then i suspect if i went back in time about 9 years we would be having the same argument about a certain mr beckham being the best in the world :eek:

Henry ahead of Ronaldo, christ almighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

PHB wrote: »
    As for the Ronaldo argument, these debates happen every week :)
    I'd say a couple of things though,
    A. Ronaldo has not performed enough in big games yet, unlike Kaka and Messi.
    B. Messi and Kaka have never performed at the level of consistancy that Ronaldo has shown in the league.

This is never stressed enough with Kaka. He is terrible for AC against so much of the smaller teams in Serie A, Like Zizou was in the last couple of years at Juve, whereas Ronaldo has won Man Utd points almost single handedly in a couple of games this season. Don't watch enough of La Liga to comment on Messi but when Mancini is on form he is phenomenal for Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Ronaldo has really come to the fore.
    In terms of the big games last year? He did get a goal against AC Milan last year

i would argue that was a own-goal by dida, ronaldo headed it straight at him, dida palmed it up in the air and then about 2 seconds later touched it into the net himself :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Bubs101 wrote: »
    This is never stressed enough with Kaka. He is terrible for AC against so much of the smaller teams in Serie A, Like Zizou was in the last couple of years at Juve, whereas Ronaldo has won Man Utd points almost single handedly in a couple of games this season. Don't watch enough of La Liga to comment on Messi but when Mancini is on form he is phenomenal for Roma

Messi had a phenomenal start to the season but tbh, he's been nowhere near as consistant as Ronaldo and has failed to reach those heights in the last few months (partly due to his hamstring injury in December). At the moment, I'd take Ronaldo over any other player in the world. 5 goals already in the Champions League this season and hopefully he'll add another one tomorrow night!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

the same argument can be made about torres and i have seen it made in numerous different forums, the guy has barely scored away from home yet and until he does regularly or starts popping them in against the top 3 (either or for me) the jury will still be out. In spain he got slated for not scoring against Real in matches

Err no. Torres has scored 15 goals at home and 6 goals away from home. Hes only been playing with the team for 6 months and its his first season in the premiership. To criticize him for only scoring 6 goals away from home in 6 months would be silly considering his overall total of 21. He has been an incredible buy.

In regards to scoring against the top 3. He scored against Chelsea and was injured against Arsenal. So out of 3 games against the top 3 (Chelsea x2, Man Utd) , he has scored once. He didnt score many against Real (if any) but in fairness Real would usually hammer Athletico. The last match they played ended 6-0... He was highly prolific against Barca scoring over a goal every two games against them over the years.

This thread has gone completely off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Goal scoring wingers?

Id definitely be adding Robinho in with the best around these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

eZe^ wrote: »
    Goal scoring wingers?

Id definitely be adding Robinho in with the best around these days!

+1. Huge fan of Robinho, anybody see his second goal at the weekend :D

Smegball wrote: »
    +1. Huge fan of Robinho, anybody see his second goal at the weekend :D

I wouldnt say Im a fan because he plays for the enemy, but he's good enough for me to be very worried whenever he's playing for them. Hahaha :p

He's been failing to deliver for seasons now, and this season he's been fantastic, with his two goals this weekend being a testament to that. Madrid are a different side without him.

Capel for Sevilla is going to be a phenomenal player too. So so so so quick. Jesus Navas is quality too. I also like Aimar, David Silva (sometimes played on wings) and Joaquín. Robben isnt bad either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Messi is a player I don't really understand. There are certain games he plays when you just beg for him to get the ball (unless you're the opposing team) because it appears as if he can just do anything with it. It's fantastic to watch. He was taking the piss for the start of this season and I can remember a few matches last season when I was sure I was watching one of the greatest footballers I've ever seen. Despite his ability, though, he is crazily inconsistent at times - goes missing against all sorts of opposition. He's certainly the most talented player in the world right now IMO, just needs to figure out how to be more consistent.

• Advertisement

Messi is a player I don't really understand. There are certain games he plays when you just beg for him to get the ball (unless you're the opposing team) because it appears as if he can just do anything with it. It's fantastic to watch. He was taking the piss for the start of this season and I can remember a few matches last season when I was sure I was watching one of the greatest footballers I've ever seen. Despite his ability, though, he is crazily inconsistent at times - goes missing against all sorts of opposition. He's certainly the most talented player in the world right now IMO, just needs to figure out how to be more consistent.

There's definitely reasons for incosistency;

1. He had a pretty bad injury just before christmas that kept him out a month and he hadnt returned to form up until about 3 years ago...

2. More importantly, the guy is only 20. How many 20 year olds are relied upon this much by their team (Fabregas being the only one I can think of). remember 2 years ago, he was so wasteful infront of goal, it was like he'd never learn how to finish and then out of nowhere he started putting away some amazing goals. Its all about development, and slowly he's adding consistency to his game...

The thing he has added to his game this season is assists, he loved taking on people and shooting last season (and still does), but his vision has become fantastic and some of the goals he has set up have been just as good as the goals he has scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Must say I'm shocked at a few Liverpool fans here, think it's the first time I saw them say something possitive about Man Utd :D

Guess I'll return the favour, I always liked Benayoun as a player, I think he is a good squad player to have and was a good piece of business by Benitez imo

Unearthly wrote: »
    Must say I'm shocked at a few Liverpool fans here, think it's the first time I saw them say something possitive about Man Utd :D

Guess I'll return the favour, I always liked Benayoun as a player, I think he is a good squad player to have and was a good piece of business by Benitez imo

Benayoun is like the Ji Sung Park of Liverpool, very very reliable and talented squad player. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Boards is the only place where the following players are all deemed crap:
    Ronaldo
    Ronaldo
    Messi
    Kaka
    Torres

Man I give up. I have to wonder what bar people are comparing these players to, Kevin Moran? Mick McCarthy? Who?!

I dunno, I like to appreciate top players rather than try somehow disprove their brilliance by insinuating they only score against brutal teams. Who bleedin cares, you can only beat what's in front of ye last time I checked anyway.

Players will have off days, will go thru bad run of form probably many times during their careers, it's the human element ffs, they're not machines. Perfect footballers dont exist, dont get me wrong I enjoy the banter but sometimes the lack of respect is totally mind boggling.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just wondering, if Ronaldo performs tonight, will this count as a big game?

• Advertisement

Yes, just as Roma last season was a big game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not for the people who will never admit he is class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ronaldo has also scored just 3 goals in something like 30 games against Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. hasn't scored against Liverpool or Chelsea yet in nearly 20 games

em, maybe you should take into account hes not a striker? is he supposed to score every game against every opposition? ridiculus comment tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

right ive finally caught up with the thread now, Kaka gets slated in Italy for his performances on a shockingly regular basis this season, the myth that he is always fantastic is caused by people who only see him in the champs league, he is a phenomenal player and im not arguing that, just pointing out a simple fact.

Messi is a genius as far as im concerned, he has his off days, like everyone but this guy is special, he will be remembered as one of the all time great when he reitres im sure

Ronaldo (Milan) one of the most talented players to ever grace the pitch, and regardless of what anybody wants to say he scored goals and did his job better then anyone else wherever he played

Ronaldo (Man U) Best player in the world for the past 18 months, its hardly just a run of form at this stage is it? he is that good! but he does get marked out of the big games alot, simply because the big teams are good enough to do it......he is more consistent then Kaka or Messi

Henry was passed his best when he left arsenal and was always gonna find it more difficult in Barca, for someone to say they would have him in their team now ahead of Ronaldo is laughable

Benayoun, very good player to have in the squad imo, one of the better signings Benitez made, cheap and reliable

Advertisement