Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas shopping center renovation

Options
  • 02-03-2008 7:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know the plans for the douglas shopping center?
    Cant seem to find anything about it on the net.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

All i know is that they are making a way bigger tescos in there, and the bank & library will be going back once finished (which will be over a year). Other than that haven't a clue...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

multistorey carparking afaik. they were previously looking for permission to build up to the height of hte link road, but i dont know the details, stopped reading the douglas weekly long time back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Thats the thing, havent seen any detailed plans or drawings for this project.
    Seems kinda strange that they are not widely publishised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I heard that the pile driving thats been done has caused some damage to the foundation of the flyover and hence theres possibilities of a closure in part to strengthen it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 hitcher

i heard a new big M&S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

TheDriver wrote: »
    I heard that the pile driving thats been done has caused some damage to the foundation of the flyover and hence theres possibilities of a closure in part to strengthen it up again.

Road surface on the flyover has dropped by 2" in one place ! - they're closing it in line with the quarterly closure of the Jack Lynch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Was talking to a girl in the clothes shop there and she says they're building one to rival Mahon Point, gonna be where the car park is now and the shopping centre now will be the car park (random), she said Tesco and another major chain (possibly M&S) will be there too but how on earth will we cope traffic wise? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

there's some details and maps on the planning database on corkcoco.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

They are trying to get built and open in a year. Hopfully it will be better than Mahon Point. Not really into Mahon myself, only go there for Tesco's and the Cinema.

Hopefully they wont put in an M&S Store. Its just way over priced food and full of granny clothes.

This is the artists impression of the new shopping centre

attachment.php?attachmentid=6805&stc=1&d=1203327796

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Where is that view supposed to be from? The roundabout by the east village side?

Its as though you are standing on the mini roundabout by the shell station...if you look at the impression, you can see Barry's at the far left & the other bar (whatever its called these days next to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

look its KCs

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

They're building one of Mary Harney's "Centres of excellence" there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eiregobra

I was in getting my hair cut the other day and the lady in the Barbers said it will be finished in 2 years. There will shops on the ground floor and multi-story parking upstairs.
    I don't think it'll be bigger than mahon point though, there is nowhere near the amount of ground-space and if there is parking upstairs!

There's already been plenty of discruption in the crap car park, so get ready for 2 more years of it!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How will the roundabout there at the Shell station handle the traffic? It's demented daft as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

dudara wrote: »
    How will the roundabout there at the Shell station handle the traffic? It's demented daft as it is.

They're building a main road next to the car park, between the centre and the flyover, right where they're digging at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Andip wrote: »

God! I don't live around Cork, and I don't want to be seen as just jumping in to have a go, but that thing looks absolutely terrible to me!!

One good gust of wind on that wooden 'sail' at the top and I can see the whole centre landing in Killarney :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Pumpkinseed

Andip wrote: »

wow, can't picture that at all.

all that shopping centre is known for is its smell and its high population of old people!

i'm all for change though!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

a bit too big for my liking.
    douglas village has a "village" feel to it. They should keep it that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Tis the tidiest I've ever seen Douglas looking! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

wow, can't picture that at all.

How can you NOT picture it....there is a picture right there to help you out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

God! I don't live around Cork, and I don't want to be seen as just jumping in to have a go, but that thing looks absolutely terrible to me!!
    yeah welcome to the 21st century, u should see ucc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

all_smilz wrote: »
    yeah welcome to the 21st century, u should see ucc!

Are you suggesting UCC looks bad or good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Are you suggesting UCC looks bad or good?

the Kane building is truly a jewel in UCCs architectural splendour

the Kane building is truly a jewel in UCCs architectural splendour

The Glucksman? O'Rahilly Building? Honan Chapel? Geography Building? Aula Maxima? None of these worth a mention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The Glucksman? O'Rahilly Building? Honan Chapel? Geography Building? Aula Maxima? None of these worth a mention?

oh they are lovely buildings, shame the landmark building people see when they pass by UCC on the Western Rd. is the dominating Kane

oh they are lovely buildings, shame the landmark building people see when they pass by UCC on the Western Rd. is the dominating Kane

Gabriel Doherty describes it as 'Orwellian'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

You can hardly compare the likes of the Aula and the Honan to the glass fronted horror that is the O'Rahilly.
    And would you rate the Geography building?
    The Glucksman is ugly - the wood is unmaintained, the inside has bare (concrete) walls and barely concealed wires. I don't know how it won any awards.
    As for the Kane - I had service guys come replace some broken windows outside my server room, saying they were a bit of an eyesore. They replaced them with painted plywood, showing nicely the calibre of the building.

The Aula/Quad, Med building and Honan are all lovely. I miss old plant science building. The others can all go.

Advertisement