Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opel Astra key remote

• 02-03-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

My Astra's (99) remote doesn't work anymore, it's not the battery either, just doesn't lock unlock the car when I hit the button. What else can I check?

The alarm is also configured to work with the key remote.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Did you re-sync it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

re-sync? no I did not, what's that?

You can re-programme your key after changing the battery by inserting the key into the ignition and switch on ( dont start the engine). Press the unlock button on key for 3 seconds and you'll here the door locks activate. Switch off and remove the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Turn the engine on and with the key still in the ignition press the unlock button within thirty seconds and that'll re-sync the key and the locks. Should be ok after that.

Ah yes, I just googled it, I did a re-sync before, it would work periodically, sometimes the alarm would then activate a couple of seconds after.

• Advertisement

The guy in Opel also told me that sometimes the connections loosen over time, he said to put a small square of cardboard over the battery to keep it pressed into place.

Could try that as well.

Anyone know what type the key battery is? I have the key at home, I think I saw similar batteries in Dunnes.

I'll try a new key and then the re-sync.
    I'll get back to ye.

Thanks for the responses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It'll probably be one of those smallish round watch-type batteries. When I had an '02 Astra I put a bit of cardboard in the two keys to help keep the battery in place, as Silverfish mentions, this high-tech solution did help quite a bit :)

It'd be great if it was that easy.

Do you know the exact type of battery? I know it's the round silver battery type but which one exactly? not a big deal I can check it when I get home this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dabartman

just changed mine recently... you can buy those batteries almost anywhere, plus a better deal if you buy a pair of two batteries for the 2-keys... should cost you 2 euros each or should be less than 3 euros, otherwise it's a rip-off...

and will usually last 2-years or so...

• Advertisement

Lovely stuff that worked a treat folks. Hopefully it stays put. The battery case solder mounts are off alright, nothing a piece of cardboard won't fix for now.
    Those are the right type of batterys too, about 2euro in Dunnes.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hi guys, this thread came up when I did a search. Having a similar problem...

Went out to open car the other day after work. Wouldn't open.

Openend lock on door, jumped in. engine ticked over but would start.

Thought maybe battery but jump leads didn't make the car start.

Key had been fauly earlier on in week, gave it a tap (I know) and it worked. Until this thing happened.

So, tried to take key apart to see if chip was out of place or what (battery must be ok in key as red light flashes when i press open/close button). Now key is in pieces:

circuit board thingy
    covers,
    holder for battery
    battery.

I have spare key in post coming up to me from my mother but it hasn't arrived. posted 2 days ago..

Questions

1. Where in key is chip? Is it attached to circuit board?
    2. If the chip is still on the circuit board, and it may be a battery issue, can an opel dealer fix the key without having the car there?
    3. Anyone else in dublin look after car keys etc.

Thanks,

K.

the key itself should always open and start the car. forget the remote and just stick the key into the lock and turn it.

If I remember the remote was very basic, the topside may have had a button or somesort of metal contact which needed to be under the button.

Advertisement