Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband service?

Options
  • 02-03-2008 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi there

my 1mb eircom broadband is too slow. I get the feeling that it gets shared throughout my neighbourhood :mad:, it never reaches 1mb. I want a faster connection!

So which broadband providers would you recomend??, I would rather not pay huge amounts, but I will upgrade to a pricey eircom business broadband connection which would be 3 or 4mb if I have no other choice. :(

What do you guys recomend? I want speed for accessing my website, playing counterstrike, downloading, the usual.

Is it just me or is Ireland waay behind the rest of EU with broadband speeds. I hear of 50Mb and 100Mb connections in UK, and we stuck with crappy 1Mb lines. come on government stop spending money on our internet monitoring (http://siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single10383)and get us some internet!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you can get it, smart. Cheap, fast, reliable and no limits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Kensington wrote: »
    If you can get it, smart. Cheap, fast, reliable and no limits.
    +1
    No question about it.
    The problem is, not everyone can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eejit

OK I'll check em out...

**edit.. no :( smart arent available in cavan right now. sucks to be in midle of nowhere!

I see digiweb are available Im gonna get onto them tomorrow. :) i can get

3Mbps €42.34 per month
    6Mbps €181.49 per month :O,
    2Mbps €29.95 per month

Edit2... **** it also says 48 people could be sharing that connection!!!!! thats not good

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

Some people have a had issues with them but in my experience i've had no issues with NTL / UPC in the almost 12 months i've had the package. I have 2 meg from them and on a speed test my line reported my speed as 1.93 meg and the upload was exactly 200 Kbps.

if you're looking to get broadband over your phone line i recommend Smart also. They seem to have very good service but like all phone broadband services you'll have to go through the song and dance that is leaving Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

eejit wrote: »

Edit2... **** it also says 48 people could be sharing that connection!!!!! thats not good

Thats pretty normal, NTL/UPC have the lowest contention ratio that I know of 17/1, though I have heard SMART's one is supposed to be good, but I don't know what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm with UTV - I find them very good. €32 per month, plus 5.99 to get unlimited download. Cheaper again according to their website at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Im on Magnet FTTH.. 'nuff said. Zero contention, 16 Mb down, 8 Mb up..

Anyone who says that its my fault when a game lags is lying through their teeth :D

Advertisement