Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A tip for parents of growing children!

• 02-03-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭

Okay, so this tip won't change your life!

Our children know our home phone number.
    The voice mail at home is something like "...if you need to contact John please phone 087-9898982 or if you need contact Mary please phone 086-1231231.."

This means than in the event of emergencies our children can advise other adults how to contact us on our mobiles. (I.e. they need to remember one phone number rather than 3).

Any other practical tips out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Thats a great idea...

I have my mobile no. and her dads mobile drummed into my daughter as well as our address for work and home.

We do a little re-enactment each nite and I play the policeman.. Allo little girl, are u lost, wheres your mammy?? etc etc

She loves it and its a good way of them memorising the info..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

When bleaching/harpicing the loo, close the lid and leave the bottle of cleaner sitting on the lid. Tell the child that its dangerous to use the loo if that stuff is in it. Age appropriate of course.

I was caught early on when dd sat on loo and it was full of bleach and fumes (my own fault). Dragged her off it and showered her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rachel D

I have a little girl whos 2 and a half and is too friendly with strangers. Do ye have any tips to make her less friendly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

sueme wrote: »
    When bleaching/harpicing the loo, close the lid and leave the bottle of cleaner sitting on the lid.

You should never close the lid of toilet when bleach is in it - can create a dangerous build up of fumes which are released when the lid is lifted. use it and clean off/flush away immediately

oh well wrote: »
    When bleaching/harpicing the loo, close the lid and leave the bottle of cleaner sitting on the lid.

You should never close the lid of toilet when bleach is in it - can create a dangerous build up of fumes which are released when the lid is lifted. use it and clean off/flush away immediately

Your right of course, but I will often put cleaner on the loo, bath and sink, then let it work while I do something else, then go back and clean it off. It is just for that time it is there, its a warning signal for kids. I would rather leave the lid down for 10 minutes with the cleaner on top, than have dd pee on bleach fumes.

• Advertisement

Rachel D wrote: »
    I have a little girl whos 2 and a half and is too friendly with strangers. Do ye have any tips to make her less friendly!

I wouldn't worry at that age, its a sign she is confident and sociable! She is too young to understand the dangers out there. In another few years you can bring it into conversation about staying close, strangers, bold people etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Rachel D wrote: »

Same problem as you, my little one would go off with anyone and I cannot let her out of my sight, I dont know what the answer is apart from handcuffing them to you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rachel D

I almost would if could.I have another girl almost 9mths and im just hoping she just stays the same as is now cause she screams the place down if a stranger even goes near her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

2 is a bit young to be introducing the concept of stranger danger. The poor child would be scared stiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

When bleaching/harpicing the loo, close the lid and leave the bottle of cleaner sitting on the lid. Tell the child that its dangerous to use the loo if that stuff is in it. Age appropriate of course.
    Leaving a bottle of bleach within reach of any child is never a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Leaving a bottle of bleach within reach of any child is never a good idea.

That's the first thing that came to mind for me as well. A little bleach diluted in the toilet < a bottle of the stuff sitting on the lid, in danger terms.

I understand totally - it sounds daft alright reading it back! :o Sorry I mean my daughter is 7 and knows the dangers with bleach/cleaning products, obviously with a younger child it would be a terrible danger.

My point was that sitting on the loo with bleach or whatever in it that the fumes can't be good so close to her bottom, so hence the bottle on the loo is a big warning sign to run to the other loo.

Good call guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Another tip - for parents who want their kids to watch less TV.

There are various simple way to "password" protect your TV that simple prevents viewing unless you know the password.

Sky have this facility.
    Also some TV's themselves have the facility regardless of your service provider.

This works well for us and there is little if any TV viewing for kids from Mon to Fri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Same problem as you, my little one would go off with anyone and I cannot let her out of my sight, I dont know what the answer is apart from handcuffing them to you..

My eldest is also 2 and friendly to everyone, in my opinion 2 is too young to be worrying them about strangers and in any event a 2 year old should never be out of your sight when you are out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

I remember when my little one was around 2 was in the square in tallght and I blinked and she was gone! I remember totally panicking and getting the security gaurd to radio the others any way 5 mins later I c a security gaurd walkin up with her in his arms. She thought she was great was telling him that she had just done a big poo in her nappy!! Kids of that age dont grasp the dangers of strangers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I lost my four year old once in Mary Street in Dublin, and as I had a bunch of kids that day, it took a little while before I realised she was missing. I found her around the corner in Capel Street, where she had found two Gardai, and told them my name, address and phone number and instructed them to find me for her. She told them she would be staying with them until they found me!

Ok, you never get over losing a child, but at least I worry a little less now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not from a parents view, but IMO, it's better for a kid to progress into life sociable, than shy.

Sure, teaching her of bad people may be a bit harsh, but surely a few of the old fairytales (eg: little red riding hood) tell of how it's bad meeting strangers would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Best advice for bringing up kids, learn to say NO and mean it and stick to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

My folx had this wrist leashes for us kids which were childproof on our end and simply velcroed on their end. We could run a couple of metres away on bendy wire but were attached to them or the pram at all times. Are these no longer the in thing or no longer available?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

i read about some nerd, sorry guy, who attatched a USB dongle around his kids next with all his info on it and instructed his kids to give it to anyone if they got lost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement