Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ones we got wrong.

• 02-03-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought of this while reading crouchies piece on LFC.tv where he was saying that he had to struggle and that they/he were never sure he would make it.

I started to think to meself, who did I think would not make it but then went on to be a success or at least prove better than you thought.

There are a couple I could think of and the one I am going for is probably a bit of an odd one but I remember watching flamini couple of years ago and thinking how poor he looked for quite a few games, never thought he would make it at all particularly not in that team but now he is up there and one of the first names on the arsenal teamsheet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mcgeady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

mcgeady

I wouldnt include the SPL in this. The jury is still out on him for me, proved nothing so far i think.

Ashley Young & Roque Santa Cruz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I must confess I thought Liverpool's Fernando Torres would go the way of Fernando Morientes in the Premiership but I've had to eat humble pie on that one.

I also recall thinking Jon Dahl Tomasson would be a real hit in the Premier League which proved a misguided notion on my part. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Didn't think Tevez would shine at United like he has. Didn't impress me at all at West Ham, but he has been quite potent with Rooney and Ronaldo. The space they create for each other is Football at its best.

Thought Benni McCarthy would be a 5 goal man at Blackburn and then be shipped off to someone like Benfica or Deportivo. Although he has been a little indifferent this season.

Not quite the same as Crouch or McCarthy, but I really thought Campbell was being put out to pasture when he moved to Pompey, thought his carear was done.

Thought Miller would have been more of a force. Always thought moving to United was stupid, when they had arguably the best midfield in the world at the time, but I thought someone like Villa, Spurs or Everton would pick him up and he'd live up to his potential. Sadly not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

+1 on Torres. But will reserve final judgment until his second season, that's when the real quality players rise above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Flamini great choice, thought he was sh*te...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Drogba for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I thought Miller was destined for great things when he moved to united, how wrong i was. Cisse was another, i thought he'd be success at Liverpool and that in Drogba Chelsea had bought the lesser of the two players... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I never get them wrong* :cool:

* May not be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Evra - thought he was brutal when he first came, was saying he was one of Fergusons worst ever buys:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Drogba, though I still don't like him!

Walcott, thought he'd be amazing... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Walcott, thought he'd be amazing... :D

He will be ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

mcgeady

While the jury is still out, he was good against Brazil, and like Cristiano Mark II against Barca, unbelieveable.

Can we include "omg ****ing brilliant" early assumptions?

If so, McShane v Czech Republic in Landsdowne. Defended his arse off and roared/motivated the rest like nothing else, was wowed by what I thought was going to be a rock against opposition.

Unfortunately post that match he has been decidedly average for both club and country, but sure he is young, we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

When Henry first arrived I had my doubts and when he did not score in his first ten matches I thought we had made a mistake, shows how much I know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

That Kenny Miller would do a job for Rangers, and Celtic...and possibly Rangers again!;)
    Oh yeah, the SPL doesnt count for some reason does it?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought Robbie Keane would disappear at Spurs and Trezeguet was the wrong player for Juventus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

i remember thinking Sami Hyppia was going to be another centre half flop for Liverpool after seeing his first few games, looking back on it now Jamie Redknapp, David James etc might not have been giving him the best of cover and confidence so he done well to be as good as he was in the early parts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

torres
    harewood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Fake Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

in his first season i thaught john o shea would be worth millions in a few years....was kinda wrong there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

David Jones, really thought he'd be a better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Michael Owen - thought he'd be one of the best in the world. Never materialised, not good enough in the first place, pace disguised a lot, then hampered by injury and ?attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He will be ;)

Just taking his sweet time about it.

Advertisement