Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal fees for selling a property

Options
  • 02-03-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi.
    Can anybody tell me what are the average solicitors fees for selling a property in Dublin (as opposed to buying and selling which is normally the case)..
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property - should get a better response there

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Some will charge you 1 per cent of home's value but apparently there's guy around who'll do it for 999.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

My only advice is shop around.

The lovely legal profession used to really exploit the property buyer.

The concept of charging a percentage is a nonsense but was the norm.
    For very expensive properties the cost could run over 10,000 euros.
    (Solicitors never answer the question "how many hours work is involved").

Above all, don't fall for the line "you get what you pay for"... it implies that unless you pay top dollar then something will go wrong. This is emotional blackmail not based on reality.

A fixed price seems like a good way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

A solicitor can estimate how many work hours are involved but until they actually get involved AND get the matter completed they won't know how many hours will be involved.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

dewsbury wrote: »
    Above all, don't fall for the line "you get what you pay for"... it implies that unless you pay top dollar then something will go wrong. This is emotional blackmail not based on reality.

It's no more of an emotional blackmail than, for example, a surgeon saying if you don't get this surgery you will die.

Things can go horribly wrong with a badly done conveyance, in the same way that things can go horribly wrong with a house build, so keeping away from a cowboy, in either industry, is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sarahhurray

We are being charged .7% plus vat and outlay. Not the cheapest but excellent solicitor who goes the extra mile so we're happy with that. You should be able to get .5% plus vat and outlay quite easily. There are often adverts in your local credit union.

hi

sold my house recently for flat fee of €1400 incl. VAT and outlay.
    happy with solictor, he even returned calls!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ensure that they tell you what they coinsider outlay and under what circumstances things might change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I used a crowd called Moran solicitors in Pearse St Dublin 2 - they cost approx 999 + VAT + Outlay - came to aprox 1300-1400 in total - I had no complaints.

http://www.moransolicitors.ie/

Advertisement