Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much to ask? Shame on you Meteor!

Options
  • 02-03-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

So I was up from the country for the weekend to see my mates in Dublin. A bit of dodgy planning on my side and I end up getting there with my Meteor phone on its very last legs and the battery soon dies.

Well I thought, a bit of a pickle I'm surely in but a trip to my local Meteor store should save the day. And so I find myself in the Grafton Street outlet with a seemingly pleasant assistant who's first words to me are "Can I help you?" Great I thought to myself! So I told the man my story and he absolutely refuses to help me out, I was flabergasted! They way he treated me was as if I had asked him for a kidney. What the hell kind of customer service is that to ask for, a 10 minute charge so I could get some numbers from my phone and not end up stranded alone for the weekend. But no, I'm refused any such help. Needless to say I explained the level of my disgust and promptly exited.

On a lighter note I must say a big big thanks to the guys in 3G in Stephens Green who had no problem helping me out with a charge and they did so with a smile. Fair play to you sirs!

So getting back to the title... was this really too much to ask or should Meteor be doing more for their customers?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You blame the whole company for the actions of one of their staff whose most likely on minimum wage and not very motivated to give an actual shít. That sounds fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Moany bastards should of gave you a charge, fair play to 3G.

You were probably taking up valuable space in their busiest store.

Last time that happened to me I went into a hotel and asked out of desperation. They pulled a huge box out from under their front desk stuffed with phone chargers.. all in a big black knot. It took half an hour but I eventually found a sagem charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Could of been that ya man just woke up on the wrong side of bed that morning.
    Why dont you email Meteor and follow it up with a phonecall if you're still feeling strongly about it.
    What kind of phone did you have by the way?Possibly he knew they had no chargers lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

ronoc wrote: »
    You were probably taking up valuable space in their busiest store.

Last time that happened to me I went into a hotel and asked out of desperation. They pulled a huge box out from under their front desk stuffed with phone chargers.. all in a big black knot. It took half an hour but I eventually found a sagem charger.

There was NOBODY in the store at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yes. Damn all of meteor because one person is a rule monger (for the record, there is an insurance issue with leaving a phone on charge in a shop. Not that I ever let that stop me.).

m83 wrote: »
    There was NOBODY in the store at the time.
    Complain to the store manager if you care that much. You are probably wasting your time to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

they should do more for their customers.

I read this on another site yesterday, if you type in *3370#

you get another 50% battery power, or it activates a reserve battery power of 50%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

He sounds like a wnker....what kind of person would refuse to charge someone's phone for them?

Anyone with half a brain would have done that.

You should make a complaint definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH.

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote: »
    Complain to the store manager if you care that much. You are probably wasting your time to be honest.

I'm not going to bring it any further, I just wanted some opinions on the matter.

Meteor have always helped me out with things like that in Galway. I always offer to pay too, but they have none of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tampopo wrote: »
    they should do more for their customers.

I read this on another site yesterday, if you type in *3370#

you get another 50% battery power, or it activates a reserve battery power of 50%
    If I remember correctly that would turn on efr which would actually decrease the battery life because it used more power. efr just provides better sound quality.

Meteor have always helped me out with things like that in Galway. I always offer to pay too, but they have none of it.

I even offered to pay too. TBH I should have stayed in Galway :)

If I remember correctly that would turn on efr which would actually decrease the battery life because it used more power. efr just provides better sound quality.

eh,what's efr?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

If efr was already activated on the phone, would putting in the code turn it off and so save power in that way?

EFR= Enhanced Full Rate - Enhanced digital sound makes mobile calls sound more like landline calls

penguin88 wrote: »
    If efr was already activated on the phone, would putting in the code turn it off and so save power in that way?

EFR= Enhanced Full Rate - Enhanced digital sound makes mobile calls sound more like landline calls
    Nope there is a different code to turn it off. I think it's #3370#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Nope there is a different code to turn it off. I think it's #3370#

Ah right, cheers for that.

thanks aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Probably responsibility reason why he doesn't want to charge it. Say it gets damaged or stolen while under his care, he probably thinks you'll come looking for money or replacement.

Most phone shops won't take in someones phone to charge them because past experiences of

a) person says they'll be back in awhile and leaves phone with staff. Staff don't want to take responsibility especially if they had a person who tried to say existing damage was caused by staff.

b) person stands there like a spa with a charger wire hanging from him, waffling to the staff while they're trying to deal with other customers.

I've friends who work in phone shops (not meteor). One had a person leave a phone in charging. They realised the phone had some sort of lotion spilled on it already. Person who left it in made a big scene trying to get a new phone.

Also had a customers phone stolen from behind the counter cause the customer decided to run over to another shop while it was charging, leaving the phone unmonitored. Staff were too busy on shop floor or dealing with customers to see a little boy grab it off the counter.

Other friend had some guy they had helped out with a situation ask to charge his phone. They thought nothing of it as he said he just wanted to grab some numbers from it. The guy stood at the counter annoying them for a hour while they were trying to deal with customers.

Some times it doesn't pay to be nice.

BTW OP, a travel charger costs €20-25 in most network shops. You could have bought that for the weekend so not to rely on good will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Probably responsibility reason why he doesn't want to charge it. Say it gets damaged or stolen while under his care, he probably thinks you'll come looking for money or replacement.

Most phone shops won't take in someones phone to charge them because past experiences of

a) person says they'll be back in awhile and leaves phone with staff. Staff don't want to take responsibility especially if they had a person who tried to say existing damage was caused by staff.

b) person stands there like a spa with a charger wire hanging from him, waffling to the staff while they're trying to deal with other customers.

I've friends who work in phone shops (not meteor). One had a person leave a phone in charging. They realised the phone had some sort of lotion spilled on it already. Person who left it in made a big scene trying to get a new phone.

Also had a customers phone stolen from behind the counter cause the customer decided to run over to another shop while it was charging, leaving the phone unmonitored. Staff were too busy on shop floor or dealing with customers to see a little boy grab it off the counter.

Other friend had some guy they had helped out with a situation ask to charge his phone. They thought nothing of it as he said he just wanted to grab some numbers from it. The guy stood at the counter annoying them for a hour while they were trying to deal with customers.

Some times it doesn't pay to be nice.

BTW OP, a travel charger costs €20-25 in most network shops. You could have bought that for the weekend so not to rely on good will.

Agree with this,I have had it tried on me before. The guy was probably just following orders as for all the store knows,you could claim the phone was damaged while they had it.

I had some guy buy credit from me and asked me to put it in the phone,I put it in,it definatly goes in as it tells you previous balance is 0,new balance is €10. Then he claims he already had €10 on it and the €10 he just paid for didn't go on. So I don't put credit into people's phones anymore,just as I wouldn't take anyone's phone behind the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

pity that you didn't know that Trinity, right next to that store on Grafton street, actually has a machine that fully charges just about every phone in 10 mins for 20cent (its in the newsagents there).

you can get a USB charger for very cheap from Dixons, which would be handy to have in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

tvnutz wrote: »
    Agree with this,I have had it tried on me before. The guy was probably just following orders as for all the store knows,you could claim the phone was damaged while they had it.

I had some guy buy credit from me and asked me to put it in the phone,I put it in,it definatly goes in as it tells you previous balance is 0,new balance is €10. Then he claims he already had €10 on it and the €10 he just paid for didn't go on. So I don't put credit into people's phones anymore,just as I wouldn't take anyone's phone behind the counter.

I agree also - come on, do you think you're the only one that day who's battery was running out? No - and that's exactly why they didn't do it. It's one of the busiest stores in the country (may not have been busy at the time but five minutes later it could have been full that's the way Grafton St works) and if they did it for you they'd have to do it for everybody else and before you know it there's a queue of eejits out to the door looking to charge their phones while these poor guys are trying to sell a few phones or listen to some moron complaining he can't send text messages because he's more than likely been dicking about with his phone and erased the message centre number or some skank moaning because his phone didn't work after he beat his girlfriend with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Happened to me before in a phone shop on Henry Street a few years ago.
    Said it was store policy not to charge the phones for random people who
    come into the shop for the following 2 reasons:

1. They are not responsible for the phone and/or damage to the phone
    2. They could not keep the phone on the premises incase it was a bomb!

In the end I just went into a pub on O'Connell St, cant remember the name,
    had a pint and they charged it for me behind the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If they did it for one person they'd have to do it for everyone!

You could have gone to any number of shops and purchased an emergency charger for around ten euro. I'm sure even the Meteor shop sells them!

If I bought an emergency charger I'd then have to find somewhere to let me plug it in, I was homeless at the time so this wasn't really an immediate fix. As for the posters on the side of the store assistant, they're all valid points you've listed. But for every chancer out there, there's the honest person too, ie me in this situation. Let's blame the scumbags, it really is their fault :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I wouldn't have charged his phone. If it came back damaged(so the customer says) its my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

m83 wrote: »
    If I bought an emergency charger I'd then have to find somewhere to let me plug it in, I was homeless at the time so this wasn't really an immediate fix. As for the posters on the side of the store assistant, they're all valid points you've listed. But for every chancer out there, there's the honest person too, ie me in this situation. Let's blame the scumbags, it really is their fault :)

You dont have to plug in an emergency charger in to a power socket.
    You plug them into the phone and wind them up quickly to put a charge
    in the phone

Advertisement