Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rape marsh

Options
  • 03-03-2008 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Anyone ever hear of "rape marsh" apparantly it was losated where bishop lucy park(the peace park) is now..
    can anyone shed any light on ths for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Can't tell you much about it, but it dates back to the Williamite Wars at the end of the 17th Century - did it in history years back - involves the death of the Duke of Grafton.

AFAIK the rape marsh was more South Mall.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

You may be confused since Bishop Lucey Park and 'The Peace Park' are not the same thing.
    Bishop Lucey Park is bounded by Tuckey Street, Grand Parade, Christ Church and South Main Street.
    'The Peace Park' is that landscaped area at the corner of the South Mall and Grand Parade (where the National Monument and War Memorial are located).
    This may shed some light on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just Googled it - there's a decent bit of stuff on it - this matches what I was taught about it..

Just being nosey, but why the interest ??

The Williamite Wars 1690: At the height of the Williamite Wars the fort’s garrison loyal to King James held out against King William’s army, which arrived in Cork victorious from the Battle of the Boyne, under the leadership of the Duke of Marlborough. The fort was regarded as impregnable from all sides. The round tower of nearby St. Finbarres Church overlooked the fort; a Captain Horatio Townsend hoisted two batteries of cannon and men to the top and opened fire on the fort. The fort replied with a tremendous volley, which is reported to have shaken the base of the tower. Fearful for their lives the men wanted to retreat, however Captain Townsend ordered the ladders removed leaving his men with little choice but to remain at their posts. Continuing their fire the fort eventually surrendered after 4 days. One of the cannonballs that hit the tower is still on display in the nearby church of St. Fin Barr’s. The most notable incident of this siege was the death of the Duke of Grafton, a Captain in Marlborough’s fleet and an illegitimate son of Charles 2nd. While crossing “the Rape Marsh”, now part of the South Mall, on horseback he was struck in the head by a stray cannonball fired from the fort. The cobbled street where he fell is named Grafton Street after him.

http://theroseoftralee.com/locations/cork/placesofinterestcork.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I was asked where Grafton street was one night by a group of girls and I didn't know :o

Now that I do know I wouldn't ****in' go down there anyway....

Advertisement