Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhoneText - send your free webtexts from your iPhone!

Options
  • 03-03-2008 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭

This has already been posted in the Apple iPhone Unlock / Sourcing but was sick of posting updates and getting lost among the 213 pages already in there.

Simply put, I put a very basic page together in which you can send your O2 / Meteor / Vodafone webtexts from your iPhone. I'm a mere designer of the page.. the actual scripting of sending the messages was created by Sam Vimes (and already has a very similar project sitting on Cabaal's webspace here).

Easiest way to use it:
    • Go to iphonetext.basquille.net on your iPhone Mobile Safari browser.
    • Login using your mobile number and password (along with selecting your operator) - screenshot.
    • Now on the next page, enter the phone number of the person you're sending to and your message under it (maximum length of 160 characters only supported right now) - screenshot.
    • And click the '+' arrow at the bottom of your browser and either add it as a bookmark or better yet, click the 'Add To Home Screen' so it's always accessible from there.
    • You shouldn't need to log-in again but if you ever change your password or phone number, simply go back to iphonetext.basquille.net and login with your new credentials.
    Any suggestions, problems or improvements, please do mention below. It's probably not gonna be much of an ongoing development as when Apple releases their SDK for the iPhone in the coming weeks, I may develop an app for use on the iPhone which will take into account your contacts etc.

Oh, and cannot finish this post without expressing huge thanks to Webmonkey, Sam Vimes and Cabaal for either helping with the development or answering some queries I put forth to them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You've gotta rename it iText and quickly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

random wrote: »
    You've gotta rename it iText and quickly! :D
    Nice.. but I already use an open-source application called iText when I'm developing at work - that's a Java library to output to PDF / RTF. See here!

But if anyone can think of a better name, do let me know. I'm open to suggestions! :D

What about iSMS ?

Btw .. it's "Sam Vimes" and not "Sam Vines".

There's already a third-party iPhone SMS app caled 'iSMS'. Unfortunate as that would have been perfect!

Whoops.. don't know where I got Sam Vines from.. fixed! :o

iTexter, iT.. . . I'm out of ideas :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

how about iWantCheapTexts :)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    how about iWantCheapTexts :)
    Yeah, quite like that alright. Not sure whether to rename this or wait and use that name on the application I develop when the SDK is announced (in which it looks like will be on Thursday).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Few more suggestions for you:

iWebSMS
    iSMSPortal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

basquille wrote: »
    This has already been posted in the Apple iPhone Unlock / Sourcing but was sick of posting updates and getting lost among the 213 pages already in there.

no need to be sick!! :( why were you posting this in a thread that is just for discussing sourcing (i.e. where to get an iphone) and unlocking (i.e. getting an iphone running with any SIM you want) in the first place... i thought the title was clear, you even quote it yourself! ;)

jester77 wrote:
    iWebSMS
    iSMSPortal
    Not bad.. the 'iPhoneText' isn't very catchy so I'd say I will choose a new name for it alright.
    no need to be sick!! :( why were you posting this in a thread that is just for discussing sourcing (i.e. where to get an iphone) and unlocking (i.e. getting an iphone running with any SIM you want) in the first place... i thought the title was clear, you even quote it yourself! ;)
    Well... to be honest, I thought that thread was for all things iPhone - not just sourcing, unlocking etc. My mistake!

And i suppose I just thought it was un-necessary to post a brand new thread until I could release a version I was happy with. Previous versions only let you send with O2, required you to log-in every time to send a text, and had 3KB images which would eat up your data charges (unless they were in cache of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

How about iTight. :D
    Only kidding. Looks good.

Nice one that actually! :)

What about iWCT ! (want cheap texts ..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Any chance of addin a webclip icon so it looks nice on my home screen? ;)
    Great idea, Thanks!

Any chance of addin a webclip icon so it looks nice on my home screen? ;)
    Great idea, Thanks!
    Have added a webclip now alright but doesn't look great with the half-lit curved effect that it applies.

Might change it to something better later. If anyone cares to design one for me, I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Great thanks for the app. I was thinking of doing this myself when the SDK comes out as well. I have created JSMS in Java (not sure how easy / hard it would be to port this into an iPhone app - prob need to learn Cocoa). It would be nice to have all the contact functionality etc in an app version. Anyway great work looks v cool.

Cheers fbradyirl, it's very basic for the time being.

I actually use your JSMS app.. tis excellent. Yeah, need to patch up on Cocoa myself also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Looks great, will definitely be using this when I get my iPhone.
    As for names, how about iMess :D ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 db40

This web app is great thanks. Such a pity you can't copy and paste numbers on the iphone.

Name - bText or basText or Aztext

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I saw this on Damien Mulleys blog. You have to scroll down to get to Fring for the iphone - skype, msn, im etc etc. Linky

Not sure how good it is as I don't have an iphone and won't get one until the price comes waaaaay down. But it looksinteresting. I wonder can you get it on ordinary phones?

I saw this on Damien Mulleys blog. You have to scroll down to get to Fring for the iphone - skype, msn, im etc etc. Linky

Not sure how good it is as I don't have an iphone and won't get one until the price comes waaaaay down. But it looksinteresting. I wonder can you get it on ordinary phones?
    Oooohh.. news to me! ;)

PS - it's very good. In early stages and occassionally buggy (not to mention quite a drain on my battery, as it runs in the background unless you specifically exit it) but works very well with Skype and Google Chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Hi there - That looks like a brilliant app and fair play to you for making it.
    I'm not sure how to ask this next question at the risk of offending you but how are we fixed securitywise here?
    I'm on Vodafone myself and don't think they have a secure login as it is to get into my acc and do webtexts so maybe your site its just the same anyway but just wondering? I'd hate to come into work some day and have someone say "oh did ya hear about that site people used to use for sms on their iphones? Yeah well the site was hacked etc and someone made off with all the phone numbers and login info etc"

Again don't mean this to come acorss all negative but just wondering like?

Cheers

bindybandy wrote: »
    Hi there - That looks like a brilliant app and fair play to you for making it.
    Hi bindybandy.. cheers for the comment.

I can't take any real credit for the app as I just made the interface - the main work was done by Sam Vimes.
    bindybandy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to ask this next question at the risk of offending you but how are we fixed securitywise here?
    I'm on Vodafone myself and don't think they have a secure login as it is to get into my acc and do webtexts so maybe your site its just the same anyway but just wondering? I'd hate to come into work some day and have someone say "oh did ya hear about that site people used to use for sms on their iphones? Yeah well the site was hacked etc and someone made off with all the phone numbers and login info etc"
    I don't store any login details or phone numbers. When you first login and you bookmark the page, your login details are stored in the address (e.g iphonetext.basquille.net?u=086XXXXXXXX&p=password).

So your login details are stored locally on your phone, and messages are routed through O2 / Meteor / Vodafone (not stored on my server, or any database).

I plan on releasing an actual application soon enough but iPhone development is limited to web apps for me as I don't currently have the Leopard operation system (which is required for developing iPhone apps).

I can't take any real credit for the app as I just made the interface - the main work was done by Sam Vines.

there's a saying that there's no such thing as bad publicity as long as they spell your name right. unfortunately you didn't :D

having written the script i can confirm that no details are stored. you can get the script to see for yourself here:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/server_side_source.zip

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    there's a saying that there's no such thing as bad publicity as long as they spell your name right. unfortunately you didn't :D

having written the script i can confirm that no details are stored. you can get the script to see for yourself here:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/server_side_source.zip
    Sorry Sam. Not the first time i've done it either. Apologies - fixed!

And no details are stored on my side either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Guys guys guys.. re: the name.

Its quite CLEARLY iPissedAndTextedTheExAt2AmAgain

give in...

Guys guys guys.. re: the name.

Its quite CLEARLY iPissedAndTextedTheExAt2AmAgain

give in...
    Catchy! ;)

Oh.. and for anyone who's interested (with regards to security concerns etc.), here's the source files. (9KB)

Sorry Sam. Not the first time i've done it either. Apologies - fixed!

np :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Hi bindybandy.. cheers for the comment.

I can't take any real credit for the app as I just made the interface - the main work was done by Sam Vimes.

I don't store any login details or phone numbers. When you first login and you bookmark the page, your login details are stored in the address (e.g iphonetext.basquille.net?u=086XXXXXXXX&p=password).

So your login details are stored locally on your phone, and messages are routed through O2 / Meteor / Vodafone (not stored on my server, or any database).

I plan on releasing an actual application soon enough but iPhone development is limited to web apps for me as I don't currently have the Leopard operation system (which is required for developing iPhone apps).

Thanks that sounds great my mind is at ease now so I can't wait to try it - pain in the ar$e trying to do it on the iphone on vodaphone site - takes ages sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

iAFT ?

iAFText

iAFSMS

• Advertisement

iT.

Advertisement