Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhoneText - send your free webtexts from your iPhone!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Love this program. Would love to see the interface developed though to match the iphone one.

If you've ever seen meebo.com or iphone.beejive.com you'll know what I mean. i.e. like the settings panel on the phone. The graphics must already be out there for you and I'm sure there are tutorials too.

If you did that then there would be no need to run it as an app really as a webapp can be launched from the desktop. You already have the set up :D

This ( http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/os-eclipse-iphone/ ) may be of help!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No results found for basquille.
    Did you mean bascule (in dictionary) or Bascule (in encyclopedia)?
    Cheers for the sig mention! :confused::D
    su_dios wrote:
    Love this program. Would love to see the interface developed though to match the iphone one.
    Yeah, I would have developed an app for the actual iPhone but like I said, I don't have a copy of Leopard to develop on.

The actual interface (of conversations etc) might be difficult given the limitations of a webapp running on a single page.

Might plan a redesign and relaunch of the webapp during the week though.

Will keep you informed here.

I don't get the limitation of converstations on a single page bit?

Check out this interface for the iphone http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/iphone/ on ur pc. These work really well and don't require pages to be constantly loading, they're fairly fluent as if running an app itself.

su_dios wrote: »
    I don't get the limitation of converstations on a single page bit?

Check out this interface for the iphone http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/iphone/ on ur pc. These work really well and don't require pages to be constantly loading, they're fairly fluent as if running an app itself.
    It is possibly.. but it's a limitation in that I would need to store messages in a database or CSV.

And to be honest su dios.. I don't think anyone (including myself) would feel comfortable with their messages being stored in a database somewhere and being loaded.

Especially when I don't have an SSL cert for sending this information to a database.

RememberTheMilk do charge for their product.. so they can afford an SSL cert or some sort of security. Also the information recorded in this would be a helluva lot confidential than peoples text messages.

Ah I see! Well what about leaving the convo bit out of it then? Just include a phonebook, input for messages and a message counter or something? The program has a lot of potential. I would still love to see this as a proper app with sdk but if not then I think webapp could still work well and its very much appreciated by the masses

• Advertisement

su_dios wrote: »
    Ah I see! Well what about leaving the convo bit out of it then? Just include a phonebook, input for messages and a message counter or something? The program has a lot of potential. I would still love to see this as a proper app with sdk but if not then I think webapp could still work well and its very much appreciated by the masses
    A phonebook would also recording storing of confidential information though. I can implement it very easily using SQLite but I'm not sure people would be comfortable in recording this information.

A message counter? For detecting the 160 character limit you mean? Yeah, this can be done alright.

Am gonna upload a new version later this week which will store names and phone numbers.

EDIT: Just to address something su_dios said earlier:
    su_dios wrote:
    Would love to see the interface developed though to match the iphone one.

If you've ever seen meebo.com or iphone.beejive.com you'll know what I mean. i.e. like the settings panel on the phone. The graphics must already be out there for you and I'm sure there are tutorials too.
    During the early stages of it's development, it did use images that were like the iPhone images.

But the problem is the main reason for the application is it's a money saver (as in if you were to access it over EDGE, it would cost less than sending an actual text). But if you were to bring in a couple of graphics (about 2KB - 3KB each), it would increase the data accessed and would probably cost even more than sending a text.

Updated today.

Can now save phonebook entries.. some minor adjustments still to be done on it such as:
    • the whole viewport thing when you snap to a textbox and then out of it needs to be analysed and improved.
    • you need to refresh when you save a new phonebook entry for it to appear. Will change this later so it'll automatically update - just needs a bit of Ajax in there.
    • might work on improving the appearance of it more.
    Feedback and suggestions are welcome (as always).

Any feedback on the latest version..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 db40

It's great. Thanks a million for your work. I guess there's no complaints. If I think of anything after a while of using it I'll post it.
    :D

• Advertisement

Cheers db40.

Much appreciated. Do let me know if you've any suggestions or problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Hi Basquille, I started to use this yesterday. My only feed back would be to maybe have a "message sent" screen of some sort, when I first used it I sent the text like 6 times lol.

Just an idea, great product though :D

Cheers Huggles. Was away for the weekend so will draw up a more obvious notification this evening or at some point this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

Huggles wrote: »
    Hi Basquille, I started to use this yesterday. My only feed back would be to maybe have a "message sent" screen of some sort, when I first used it I sent the text like 6 times lol.

Just an idea, great product though :D

I would second that, otherwise the software is great.
    Also is there no way of adding the contacts to the software phonebook, finally can it be used for multi text

Don't know if anyone noticed but iPhoneText has been down for the past few days!

It was due to hosting the podcast interview with DeVore earlier this month - my bandwidth of 10GB was exceeded at the weekend.

Should be back up on the 1st of the month (Sunday) and might implement a few changes into it over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

How about calling it - iLikeText (it's Nice!) - Borat reference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Can you run JSMS from your IPhone?

http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net/JSMS/JSMS.html

ch750536 wrote: »
    Can you run JSMS from your IPhone?

http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net/JSMS/JSMS.html
    Nope, that's a Java application. Not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mrs.ljungberg

Hi I have been trying to get this working on my Iphone for about an hour now but it wont work for me. I keep getting a message 'Invalid Login/Failed to connect
    Im on meteor, any ideas?

Hi I have been trying to get this working on my Iphone for about an hour now but it wont work for me. I keep getting a message 'Invalid Login/Failed to connect
    Im on meteor, any ideas?
    Someone else told me they're having problems with Meteor.. they may have changed the structure of logging in / sending text messages.

Will look at it later. But I recommend using Freeteor / EirText.. it runs natively on your iPhone and uses your contacts (has support for Vodafone and O2).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mrs.ljungberg

Thanks im setting up freetor now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not working with Meteor for me, must try that app instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Can't access the app page from my iphone browser, has it been taken down ?

Afraid it has indeed been taken down..

The far superior EirText / Freeteor should be of use now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ronanos

Hi,

Is there a good iPhone 4 app for sending the O2 web texts?

Thanks,

ronanos wrote: »
    Hi,

Is there a good iPhone 4 app for sending the O2 web texts?

Thanks,
    Eirtext

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Advertisement